Newbie Questions - Chicago to Richardson, Texas

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Kristene

Newbie Questions - Chicago to Richardson, Texas

Postby Kristene » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:08 am

Greetings,

Thank you for this site. Though I'm sitting up at 1:30 in the morning reading posts and book marking sites. Stressful does not begin to describe this. Please also forgive my spelling, the hour and the fact i type faster than I can think are mostly to blame.

Ok, to the questions: (and I have searched these two I mention on the boards and the GREAT capsule of Chicago area movers, BTW)

1 - On the safersys site, one of the carriers I am considering, under driver inspections has 29 inspections with 9 out of service; 31% OOS vs. the 6.78% national average. I know this is "bad" but exactly what does it mean? I get when a truck is out of service. What does it mean for a driver to be out of service?

Sasha Transport - MC 507359, DOT 1308599 (I did notice their driver and truck numbers are up from the previous mentions on this site, and they carry more than the minmum required insurance.)

2- Again on the safersys site, another carrier does not seem to have any inspections. And carries the minimal insurance,Vantage Blue - MC 70906 US DOT 143971.

3 - What sort of DATE am I looking for that tells me how long they've had these licenses. Is a short period of time bad?

4 - And I keep seeing a mention of GNTE - this is the Guarantted Not to Exceed estimate - yes?

5 - finally for the moment - a friend suggested finding a carrier at my destination (Richardson, Texas) and see if they have a truck coming this way (Chicago) that they'd like to take back with my stuff. Does this seem like a good idea, or even feasible? I have asked friends and family in Texas to supply some names of companies.

Thank you for your time and help. I'm sure this won't be the last of my questions. I promise to post my experiences in future.
Kristene
"some they do, some they don't and some you just can't tell. some they will, some they won't and some it's just as well.." Supertramp

goldminegutted

Re: Newbie Questions - Chicago to Richardson, Texas

Postby goldminegutted » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:55 am

Hmm I can answer a few of these only.

Yes, GNTE means guaranteed not to exceed. This is the type of quote you want, it means the price they quote you is the most you will pay, but you can pay less if they estimated too much. Keep in mind that with a GNTE, since they're trying to cover all bases and are giving you the promise that you'll pay less if they overestimated your load, the quotes might be a little higher than a non-binding or even binding estimate. Don't let that turn you away, GNTE is really the only kind of quote you're safe with.

Also, you say "carrier", are you looking at full service movers? If you are, then you don't want one coming from your destination, you want one near your home because you want them to do an in house estimate if at all possible, unless you go for one of the companies that are hands down to be trusted and have been reviewed positively by a large number of people on this site such as Moovers, Inc. (but they are from Cali so I don't think they would apply for this move, correct me if I'm wrong Diane?). Either way, unless you find a Texas company you are 100 percent sure is reliable, you wanna make sure you get a company is close enough to come do an in house. If they are close by and refuse an in home estimate, you can be pretty certain they are scammers.

It's also really rare to get GNTE over the phone because the moving company can't be sure the client is estimating their load properly. You shouldn't try and do your moving company's job for them.

So those are some things to think about, I'll let the more experienced posters here grab the more technical questions. :)

[Edited to add: I did a really quick google search for Sasha Transport and found them on "mymovingneeds.com" along with some companies that look a bit shady...is this where you found them? It might not be the best place to look for a moving company. They're also listed on "mymovingquote.com, "formove.com", "movers.com", etc...

Also, here are a few threads about Sasha Transport from this site:

This one has a favorable review of them, however the original poster never came back to answer Musicmom's question, so one can't be sure if the review was truthful or if it was planted by the company
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... +transport

Hmmm...it does seem like these good reviews are planted by the company, see this thread for possible proof (if they ARE planted by the company, it's probably not a good sign):
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... +transport\

Also...to the more experienced posters, does this mean they JUST applied for a license recently? I am not sure what document is being applied for here:
http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:YK ... =clnk&cd=3

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:17 am

So we've converted GoldMine into a regular volunteer, huh? This site is addicting! Thanks, GoldMine!

OK, to talk about the inspections reports and such. THe inspections themselves are not the most major thing to worry about. I get nitpicky about them because i think it shows how a ocmpany can be skirting the rules and such, but often times it's just a failed inspection because the driver didn't keep a good record of his driving hours. If he's falsifying it, that's different. If a driver is getting pulled over for drunken or drugged driving, or not wearing glasses, or reckless speeding, you shoudl be concerned.

What you need to do is to check out their licnses, an here's how. You obviously have seen teh DOT's Snapshot of the mover (the page with the blue boxes everywhere). Go to the top right of the page and click on License and Insurance in that little blue box. Click on HTML, and this is the report fromt he FMCSA, showing the info for their interstate license and insurance carriers.

(Some of this is echoing what GoldMine wrote, but it's easier for me to just post it all and ignore the doublings)
Sasha Transport, DOT1308599: I looked at the inspection record to see what those 9 out of service ratings were for. Most of them were for logbook violations, including one stop that had three separate violations for falsifying a logbook. Several of the other ones said 14-hour rule violations (Property), and I have no idea what this means. Hopefully one of the pros that drives a truck can explain this one. ECM? I-95? There is also a violation for the driver being under 21, a no-no for interstate loads, an another for the driver not speaking English, which means he may not understand all road signs and can cause an accident.

They received their license in Feb of 2005, whcih means they've only been legally moving for one year. We generally reccommend using movers who have been in one place for more than 5 years.

As GoldMine said, I don't buy that good review for a minute. The one on the second thread she provided was obviously straight from the company. I don't know what the form applied for in her last link is.

Vantage Blue, your DOT number is missing one digit, their license is DOT 1439271. Their record is a bit confusing to me. It appears as if they were around for a while, their MC number is very old. Also, they have many trucks, which new companies do not have. Their DOT number is very NEW, which goes along with their [url=http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/pkg_carrquery.prc_authorityhistory?pv_apcant_id=3370&pv_legal_name=VANTAGE^BLUE,^INC.&pv_pref_docket=MC070906&pv_usdot_no=1439271&pv_vpath=LIVIEW]license history[/url]. It shows that their current license was assigned Jan 6 of this year, but there are some older licenses listed, with the phrase "Transfer Consummated" in Dec of 2005. The oldest date for those previous licenses were from 1989, so they've been around in some form or another since then. Maybe they used a different name, or were an agent for a major van line? I don't know. You'd have to ask them.

If you want to look for a backhauler (the mover based in Richardson who needs to fill their truck for the return trip), you will not be getting any accurate estiamtes. Any mover you use has to come o your house to see all of your belongings to truly know what size load you have. If they are asking you to submit inventories by phone or email, you will 99.999999999% for sure have a hiked-price at delivery, whent hey claim you have more items than you put in your inventory, even when you don't. If you're using one in Chicago, and you're in Chicago, there is no reason why they can't come to your house. And yes, you should be asking for GNTE estiamte, but not all movers do it. The next safest is Binding, and the least safest for you is Non-Binding. Binding sets a price and it cannot change, unless you try to sneak in a major amount of etra stuff and the driver protests at pickup. Non-Binding is based on weight, but if the estiamte is low, you will end up paying for the actual weight nomatter how much higher it is than the estimate. This is where "lowball" quotes become profitable for scammers (my own move included).

One last thing about finding the back-hauler, there is a company in Richardson, TX to completely avoid- AAA Careful Movers/R&S Relocation/American World Van Lines/(several other names).

Diane has a list of movers in the Chicago area that have gotten good reviews, you can either search for it, or she can post it when she shows up.

Rick

Postby Rick » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:44 am

A driver is placed Out of Service (OOS) for a number of reasons including failure to keep their log book up to date, failure to take the necessary time off, misrepresenting their log book, failure to obtain an annual physical etc. Any incident should be a concern because it shows some carelessness on the individual driver’ part. A high frequency is an indication that the carrier does not have a good safety policy in place. A consumer should be concerned because a high OOS rate means that their service could be delayed until the driver can legally operate again. An unsafe operation could place their goods in jeopardy in the event of a catastrophic accident.

Sasha Transport has both General Freight and Household Goods operating authority so their SAFER record is a summary of their performance under both authorities. Their HHG authority was issued on February 22, 2005. Malka Yefet, the owner of Sasha, applied for the Illinois Commerce Commission Public Carrier Certificate in July, 2005 and only passed the HHG test with a score of 78% on October 11, 2005 http://www.icc.illinois.gov/docs/mc/trHHG139020.pdf. Sasha’s high OOS results are likely a function of inspections done operating under their general freight authority, high number of inspections and low mileage (120,000 in 2005). This company is just another example of a freight company trying to take advantage of the new regulations governing the transportation of HHG to become a “quasi” mover.

Vantage Blue, Inc. (dba Suburban Moving & Storage Company, a United Van Lines agent) also has General Freight and Household Goods operating authority. Since they don’t have any recorded inspections and haven’t reported any mileages under either authority, however, it means that all HHG moves they perform are done under United Van Lines operating authority. Enter Suburban in the search field above to review past comments and reviews.

The concept of backhaul works great in the general freight environment because load characteristics don’t change much. It can work in HHG but, because of the nuances involved in with individual shippers, there is more risk than benefit. Armstrong Relocation, another United Van Lines agent, has offices in both Chicago and Dallas. http://www.armstrongrelocation.com/contact/default.asp

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:51 am

Thank you for all those wonderful clarifications, Rick. So Vantage IS a van lines agent, and that's why their license seem weird. Maybe they recently wanted to start doing some self-hauling of long distance laods.

As for Armstrong, I'm sure they do good work, but their employees keep posting faked reviews here. "Jess" is the biggest culprit, and the most recent suspicious post Diane caught from "Marina Quinones" (I missed this one :oops: ). Not only is this annoying, but it lowers their standing in terms of business ethics, and that they are trying to dupe their potential customers. If their employees are willing to write these lies, what else could be false?

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:45 pm

Thank you all for the information and clairifcations. And just a note - I did check the DIANE post of movers for Chicago, THANK YOU! - so don't feel you need to repost. (Suggest sticky it for future reference and provide a periodic update?)

I am getting two more in home estimates on Tuesday (Grabel and Pickens Kane - United) and based on some of the information I found here last night in reviews, etc; I'll be looking for some additional estimates.

My move is not until late April, Ideally April 20th or later. For intrastate in Illinois that gets near to HIGH season for renters.

As for my current estimates - I believe they're NOT GNTE, so I'll be asking for those from my next estimators.

Jeeze, this is like the WILD West! IMHO, just one more way the current administration is messing with America - but so it goes!

goldminegutted

Postby goldminegutted » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:02 pm

MusicMom wrote:So we've converted GoldMine into a regular volunteer, huh? This site is addicting! Thanks, GoldMine!

:D I love this site! I have a LOT to learn in order to be more helpful, but I plan on stickin' around for sure.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:08 pm

Whoo, boy. That's how I got started, more than two and a half years ago.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:14 pm

Yeah, but there's no way to quantify the number of consumers that you've helped in those 2 1/2 years. There are legions of people out there that didn't get ripped off because of your time here MusicMom! :D

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:35 am

Glad you were there to set me straight from vigilantism then! :wink:

mcgr

Postby mcgr » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:42 pm

My husband and I have moved 3 times in 5 years, all Interstate and used the following Van Lines: WE did Guaranteed Not to Exceed Quotes with all three and 0 Deductible for the Declaration of

From Houston to Salt Lake City, UT-Daryl Flood Moving and Storage (I thought it was funny that a moving company has "Flood" in their name) anyway, they were good, and reliable and back in 2002 didn't have complaints. None of my Chrystal and China were broken, but I also had packers come out and hand pack each item while I watched. We did a GNTE quote, and a 0 Deductible. Had some trouble when the truck was delivered in terms of being told that we owed some more money because they had underestimated, but settled it in the end with the Estimator. ALWAYS USE AMERICAN EXPRESS because you can challenge charges. I would never pay in cash or check.

From Salt Lake City to Denver Co-We used Palmer Moving and Storage-Agent for NorthAmerican Van Lines-again good, reputable no problems-it was a corporate move and we did'nt pay for it ourselves. the total cost was again around $4000 to $5000. Again they did some packing the day before and we took a 0 deductible. And we had a GNTE quote.

From Denver, CO to Chicago IL-We used Atlantic Relocation Systems-Agent for Atlas Vans-again excellent service, and we had them pack us-this time WE paid for the ENTIRE MOVE and it was about $4500. We had a 0 deductible and really pleasant Estimator, Drivers and Crew.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:38 am

Thanks for these reviews. I'm compiling summary posts on moving companies in various parts of the U.S. and I'll add your comments to the appropriate sections on Houston, Salt Lake City, and Denver. Daryl Flood (Allied) has excellent quality scores for both the Dallas and Houston offices. Branches of Atlantic Relo have also won awards from the van line.

LA GUEST

Postby LA GUEST » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:52 am

NEVER, NEVER HIRE SASHA TRANSPORT. Sasha Transport performed our move FROM CHICAGO TO LA and damages as much our belonings as posible. More over they don't want to take responsability. IF YOU BUYING AN INSURANCE DON'T SIGN BILL OF LADING. They split our stuff when they were loading into two trucks, presented only weight for one but asking to pay for both without proof of weight. They also split our delivery in two trucks as well. Can anybody imagine how it feels not having what you need for a few weeks and sleep on the floor with kids?

Return to “Open Community”