Joey's Movers - Skokie, Illinois

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Kristene

Joey's Movers - Skokie, Illinois

Postby Kristene » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:15 pm

Greetings,

Still interviewing and getting in home estimates from movers. I got a reccomendation from a friend for Joey's Movers. They are based in the hot spot of Skokie. I'm about to look them up on the fed/state sites.

Any one have any info here? I searched the boards and did not get any thing relevant.

Thanks in advance,

Kristene
Kristene
"some they do, some they don't and some you just can't tell. some they will, some they won't and some it's just as well.." Supertramp

Diane

Re: Joey's Movers - Skokie, Illinois

Postby Diane » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:20 pm

I don't think they have ever been discussed here, but their BBB report does show some complaints - http://www.chicago.bbb.org/commonreport ... d=27000846

If it's a local move, I would suggest that you call the Illinois Movers' and Warehousemen's Association (IMAWA) at 217-585-2470 or 888-791-2516 and ask for the Executive Director, Patricia McLaughlin. She's familiar with MovingScam.com and has helped many customers in the past. For a local move, she might have other suggestions.

This company should not be used for an interstate move.

Kristene

Postby Kristene » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:05 pm

Do you say they should not be used for an interstate move because they're only licensed for "cargo" and not household goods? Or because of their rating?
Kristene
"some they do, some they don't and some you just can't tell. some they will, some they won't and some it's just as well.." Supertramp

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:18 pm

There are many red flags, but if you click on "Licensing & Insurance" at the top right of the main safersys.org page you'll see that their license to move people interstate was revoked in 1998. They cannot legally move you out of state. I don't know why they are listed only as moving freight because I think they do move household goods.

If you want to post where you're moving to, how much stuff you have, and your budget for this move, we may be able to help you better. Also, are you in central Chicago or in a part of the city that can be accessed by a tractor-trailer?

Kristene

Postby Kristene » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:44 pm

Diane,

I'm the newbie, my original posting was for Chicago to Richardson Texas.

To answer some of your questions - we have a 2 bedroom plus office, 2200 sq ft apartment with some storage in our basement. Estimates thus far are coming in between 10 and 12,000 lbs. In Chicago - we live in tight parking quarters in a high density neighborhood so a shuttle is almost a forgone conclusion.

Joey's was reccomended to me by a friend who has done local moves with them for along time. I was looking up their infomation while I posted my query. I see that they're not likely a good idea for an interstate move. Thanks for your help!

Kristene
Kristene

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:34 pm

Oh, OK - I see the connection now.

Many companies that are OK for local or within-state moves are emphatically NOT OK for long-distance moves. Judging from things posted here, Chicago is a city where it's really hard to find a full-service moving company that performs consistently well. The same is true of New York City. There are a lot of scam and dubious companies that are going to try to latch onto you, so please be very careful.

I tend to agree with Rick that Armstrong (United) would be a logical choice for an estimate because it has offices both in Chicago and in Dallas. Another one that comes to mind because it has offices in both places is Nelson Westerberg (Atlas). We have no reviews of the latter but it won a 2005 Milton Hill award from the vanline for both locations--Chicago and Dallas--which is quite remarkable. If you wanted to contact Daryl Flood (Allied) in Dallas, I agree with the person who suggested that a company like that might have a truck returning from Chicago at the time you want to move. Daryl Flood has excellent quality ratings.

If cost is a concern and you would consider a U-Pack, We-Drive move then I would recommend Broadway Express. You would still have to use a shuttle but BE would use a small rental van to try to save you money.

BBATCO1

Postby BBATCO1 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:16 pm

You mentioned companys with terminals in both locations...Berger Allied is in both and the largest Allied agent in the country...

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:20 pm

Good point. We have no reviews of Berger Allied in Chicago and I don't know how its quality scores compare with Daryl Flood or Jackson Allied. Maybe somebody can enlighten me (?).

BBATCO1

Postby BBATCO1 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:24 pm

I wish I knew that answer for you. From personal industry experience I can tell you that Flood and Berger are quality agents that self haul most shipments. Jackson is small but I don't know anything bad about them.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:20 pm

I really appreciate your input . . . do you go by Robert or Bob? Your home is in FL, right? But you seem to know Chicago well.

BBATCO1

Postby BBATCO1 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:21 pm

Bob, and I am in Chicago.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:25 pm

Welcome . . . was your father also in the moving industry?

BBATCO1

Postby BBATCO1 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:55 pm

No just me...

Return to “Open Community”