DC to Arcata, Ca

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Treu

DC to Arcata, Ca

Postby Treu » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:28 am

I am looking to move from the Washington DC area to Arcata, Ca. The company I was considering using is JK Moving and Storage. Has anyone heard anything or actually used this company before? Their link is below if you want to take a look. Thank you.

http://www.jkmoving.com/

goldminegutted

Re: DC to Arcata, Ca

Postby goldminegutted » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:05 am

They look good, and they've been in business for a while now (since 1987), however they've had their insurance cancelled 5 times and each time they've switched to a different company. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable about this company can elaborate on their trustworthiness, but I don't know why anyone would have their insurance cancelled that many times. Their last cancellation was quite a few years ago though (2002), so perhaps whatever issues were there have gotten worked out.

It also seems they have some overzealous workers who have a history of posting fake reviews praising their own services and trashing competitors' services on this board. See the end of this thread here: http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... =jk+moving

It also seems they're trying to do over the phone estimates for shippers who are local to them, which has been illegal since August 2005 (the account of this happening is from November 2005). If a moving company is within a 50 mile radius of their client, they must do an in-home estimate, lest the client signs a waiver saying they don't want one. JK didn't go through that procedure for this person here: http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... =jk+moving

People here seem to like them okay on this board. I personally am put off by everything I've seen during the few minutes I researched this company for you.

MusicMom

Re: DC to Arcata, Ca

Postby MusicMom » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:12 am

I try to keep track of the movers in this area, and JK has had several good reviews that I've seen. The issue with the fake reviews is a problem, but they were outed and chastised. Just do not deal with that one person, should you choose to use them, and tell the owners why. There was an issue a long time ago about them not giving out the proper paperwork and problems with their BBB reports ahving negative things suppressed. This was when I was still pretty new, so I ws not too involved in that discussion. I do rememebr being turned off by that, though.

One of the good reviews was for a move to CA, so they are certainly capable. They have over a hundred trucks, including several full-size trailers for the long hauls.

The chief concern for most people in comparing them ot others is the price. They are consistently more expensive than other movers in the area, but everyone who's used them anyway has been happy.

This mixed information can muddy your decision, I know. But if I were moving out of state (and I wish I were, soon!), they would be on my list to call for in-home estimates. I would also suggest calling the following:

Moyer & Sons (Independant) Clarksburg, MD (May not go to CA)
World Wide Moving & Storage (Wheaton) Waldorf, MD
B. Von Paris & Sons (United) Alexandria, VA
Hilldrup Moving (United) VA
Security Storage (United) D.C.
Paxton Van Lines (Atlas) Springfield, VA
Olympic Moving & Storage (Wheaton) Alexandria, VA (Not Olympic Movers of Gaithersburg)
Victory Van Corp (Allied) Alexandria, VA(not Victory Van Lines)

Return to “Open Community”