Moving from Westchester NY to FL- need recommendations

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
suery

Moving from Westchester NY to FL- need recommendations

Postby suery » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:34 am

Has anyone had any experience with Marrins' Moving of NY, McAvey Moving of NY( affiliated with Stevens) , or Goetjen of CT (a Northamerican Van Lines affiliate) ? Marrins' gives a binding estimate based on cubic feet which I have never heard of. Thank you. Sue R

Diane

Re: Moving from Westchester NY to FL- need recommendations

Postby Diane » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:03 am

Hi - I don't think anyone has ever mentioned the last two companies you name, but Marrins (MC #350298) has been discussed here several times, as you can see if you use the Search button above to do a search. Here is one thread with a lot of information - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3767 (disregard the last post as it is bogus). Marrins has been licensed to do interstate moves for less than a year. Normally we recommend that people go with companies that have been licensed for at least five years. It is legal to give a Binding estimate quoting by cubic feet but it is very risky for the consumer. We have a thread explaining why - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5311 Bottom line: I personally would not use Marrins.

Always remember that local and long distance are two very different animals. The stress on a moving company is much greater when it has to send workers and a truck all the way to FL--things can happen. Some small companies can get in trouble when they try to do more than they really should.

Here's a thread where I just answered someone else who is moving from Westchester - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7543
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

DM5139

Postby DM5139 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:34 pm

When I moved to Florida from New Rochelle in 2004, I used V. Santini out of Mt. Vernon. They are an Atlas agent and were very reasonable. I was very pleased with the entire process. All of my belongings were delivered safely within the estimated time frame, and the same crew that picked up the stuff in NY delivered it to me in FL.

They also moved friends of mine from Mt. Vernon to Arizona in 2002, and the service provided to them was also excellent.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:45 pm

Thanks so much for this information about V. Santini (DOT #1213682). I'll add it to my summary post on NYC movers when I tackle that one. On safersys.org V. Santini in Mt. Vernon looks to be a smallish company so I would be kind of surprised if it sent a truck all the way to Arizona. Maybe that move was hauled by an Atlas Van Lines driver.

Return to “Open Community”