Raleigh moving

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
kuma

Raleigh moving

Postby kuma » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:12 pm

Does anyone know of a good local moving company in Raleigh, nc?

Diane

Re: Raleigh moving

Postby Diane » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:48 pm

Hi - your best bet is to sign up for membership and send a Private Message to "Michael" (our expert on Raleigh).

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:15 pm

My brother and his wife just moved to Apex, and his destination agent was Cardinal Moving (Relocation Systems had packed up here in VA, both are north American Van Lines agents). He was pleased with them, two guys unloaded the truck amazingly fast. Although their spelling apparently need work (did you know that tiny room where you hang your clothes is a "clorcet"?).

http://www.cardinalmovingandstorage.com/

asms29

Postby asms29 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:55 pm

MM are you sure Cardinal moving is correct? I was just wondering I have not heard of them in the Raleigh area.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:03 pm

Cardinal is in SC. It was probably the hauling agent. MM, was your brother satisfied with Relocation Systems? That is another review I could add to my summary post on VA movers.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:27 pm

Actually, their guys came from either the Wilmington or Charlotte offices. Brother could not give me a lot of details, he wasn't terribly organized about it. Couldn't get much out of him about Relocation Systems, either. He was pretty busy trying to fix a long list of things that the builders had left handing, like outlets and unconnected fans and such. Perhaps after a few more weeks I can get him to talk more.

I do remember an article in which Relocation Systems was used as a sort of "expert witness". I can't think of where it was, though. I'll see if I can find it. Here's a bit from their own website:
For six consecutive years "Washington Business Magazine" has recognized us among the leading local commercial movers in our region.... For an unprecedented six consecutive years Relocation Systems has been awarded North American Van Lines "Government Agent of the Year." Last year Relo was awarded our van lines Safety award.

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:09 pm

Cardinal is not in Raleigh. There is DeHavens and Beltmann.

In regards to the comment of "leading local commercial movers" that is not a reference to Household Goods, but to office and industrial/special products probably.

I am not sure why a company would have labor come up from Wilmington or Charlotte if your in Raleigh.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:11 pm

Michael, who would you recommend in Raleigh for (a) local moves and (b) interstate moves? (Now that you're here. :wink: )

Me/Michael

Postby Me/Michael » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:23 am

You mean besides the obvious, lol.

From just a local company that has a good reputation Moving on Movers. But lately I have noticed they just give a price on estimates and not the details (weight, rates and such). Which to me as a consumer, I am not buying anything from anyone unless I know what the rates are and what I am getting for that cost.

Major wise, there is one Allied agent, three United agents, two Mayflower agents (one is a cross rep for United), one other Atlas besides mine.

There are tons of just local companies, but they are mostly hit and miss.

They actually did a local news story here about a month ago about a gentlemen (I use the term lightly) they had been closed down about a year or two ago, re-opened under a different name and is right back at scamming customers. And this coming from a state that is regulated. Yet he tells everyone he is bonded, insured and licensed to do moving.

So if your not going to follow up with some of the companies mentioned I would highly recommend you contact the North Carolina Utilities Commission for further review of movers.

Companys to avoid, Two men and a truck in Raleigh and All my Sons.

Nathan

Postby Nathan » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:30 pm

Me/Michael wrote:Companys to avoid, Two men and a truck in Raleigh and All my Sons.

What is your reason for recommending against these? I used Two men and a truck for a local move and it went very smoothly. I was quite pleased with them and gave them a nice tip.

However, I have a friend who was pleased with them twice and then disappointed the third time. He liked them twice and recommended them to me, but he fealt they way overcharged for his final move. They charge by the hour for loading/unloading the truck. He fealt they took way too long, so he asked for a partial refund. I think he said they gave it to him, so I'd say that's good customer service. Overall, that sounds way better than the horror stories I see elsewhere in these boards. (I'm guessing it may depend somewhat on which "2 men" you get with the truck).

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:56 pm

Yeah, that seems to be the general issues with franchise-type movers. We know the All My Sons in Raleigh has a bad reputation. Two Men having a mixed bag of reviews (including yours) makes them not terrible, but certainly not the best choice. And if there are other, better choices, why even consider them?

indifferent

Postby indifferent » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:05 pm

I hired Two Men and a Truck in Charlotte, NC, and it was awful. They damaged a bunch of my stuff (totally careless loading and handling). They broke my SAFE, for crying out loud, and they seriously damaged a $1,500 entertainment center (my wife still complains about that).

One of the guys had no idea what he was doing (yes, experience does actually help when lifting heavy items up stairways and through doors). At one point, they needed me to help them move one of the heavy items. They couldn't figure out how to put my bed back together, and with the clock running, I wasn't inclined to let them figure out how to work an allen wrench.

They were also terribly unresponsive when I tried getting things taken care of. I sent in a damage report, and they ignored it. I'd call, and they'd ignore me.

I've given up on these creeps. Now, I've got to buy a huge crowbar at Lowes and pry my safe open.

Their price was good, but pfffft. I'm moving again right now, and I'm probably going to pay $500 more than Two Men and a Truck would charge to hire people I know are competent and have integrity.
Last edited by indifferent on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:00 pm

If I were you I'd be complaining to high heaven about the quality of the safe. :wink:

indifferent

Postby indifferent » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:07 pm

MusicMom wrote:If I were you I'd be complaining to high heaven about the quality of the safe. :wink:

The same safe made it just fine through a 20-mile local move with NY, and then through an 800-mile move from NY to NC. But Two Clowns and a Truck managed to break it during a 15-mile local move. The dial is plastic, and it's fine unless some idiot lets it fall onto its face with its full weight, or smashes it against something.

Return to “Open Community”