NJ -----> Seattle area

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
aly

NJ -----> Seattle area

Postby aly » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:25 pm

I will be moving in a few weeks to the Seattle area (I don't have a place yet) from central NJ. I called Consumer Relocations which I had heard about from AAA and they gave my contact info to 3 moving companies. (Has anyone used that before? Was that a bad idea? I figured if it was AAA-recommended, it would be ok) Applegate Moving & Storage, an agent for United Van Lines, just contacted me and is coming to give me an estimate. I did a search on them here but nothing came up. Does anyone know anything about them? Any information would be greatly appreciated! (Or any other suggestions on who to call - I also contacted University Van Lines)

Diane

Re: NJ -----> Seattle area

Postby Diane » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:36 pm

aly,

See this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7452 You might want to compare notes with Shauna. Applegate is fine if you are in that area of Jersey.

We have discussed this AAA thing before and the only thing wrong with it is that we think the discount you can get through it may be lower than the discount you could get by calling the company directly. You can search on "Consumer Relocation" to see what has been said. So (for example) if Applegate offers you a 55% discount, you might actually be able to get a 65% discount by not going through AAA. The AAA people may be collecting a fee for the referral, in other words. On the other hand, some people have posted that you can get free full replacement value valuation coverage if you go with this deal. That could potentially be worth several hundred dollars.

aly

Postby aly » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:26 pm

Hi again. I figured I'd let everyone know that I had a few companies come to my apartment to give me a quote. I'm deciding between two - University Van Lines or Applegate. Sopko (Wheaton agent) had come to give me a quote also. I had made the appointment about a week in advance and no one called to confirm. The guy showed up 10 minutes late. While he was in my apartment, he saw a folder from one of the other companies and took it upon himself to look at the estimate I had gotten from them. He then told me he would email me with the estimate and I have yet to hear from him. That was over a week ago. My friend had used them to move from NJ to CA and had told me he had a bad experience with them. (this was after I already had made the appointment). He had told me that they delivered his stuff a week late and never kept him updated on the status of where his stuff was.

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:39 am

Do not use the company that went and opened up a competitor’s folder and reviewed it without permission. First it is none of his business what another company gives you and it is totally un-ethical business practice. The information from any other company is proprietary. If he calls back tell him that and if he hassles you contact the corporate office.

Did anyone give you information on your rights when moving as is mandated???

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:35 pm

of course I am not going to use him! I haven't heard from him since anyway... I guess that's why I never did get the estimate...

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:33 pm

The odd thing is that Sopko got a quality award from Wheaton Van Lines last year . . . but in reviewing the list of awardees, the volunteers here who are in the moving industry noticed that there were quite a few duds on it. On balance, I would say that having a Wheaton Total Quality Commitment Award probably doesn't mean very much. Around a quarter of their agents get them every year.

Return to “Open Community”