*Weight for 2 bedroom apartment? Is this estimate accurate?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
swb

*Weight for 2 bedroom apartment? Is this estimate accurate?

Postby swb » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:49 pm

Hi--

I just received an estimate for a move from PA to SC and I think the weight estimate is ridiculously high. We have a 2 BR (1000 sq ft) apartment-- one bedroom is used as a home office and we will be moving no appliances. We have what I would consider an average amount of furniture (for example, we have a sofa, armchair, and entertainment center in the living room). The estimate was for 11,850 lbs. Everything I have found suggests that I shouldn't have over 6 or 7,000 lbs at the absolute most.

There are other issues with the company not providing a GTNE estimate, but I thought I'd first try to get some feedback to see if my reaction to this weight estimate is accurate. Is it possible that this (11,850 lbs for a 2 BR apartment) could possibly be correct?

Thanks!

MusicMom

Re: Weight for 2 bedroom apartment? Is this estimate accurat

Postby MusicMom » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:15 pm

Do you ahve a lot of books or exercise equipment?

On the estimate, was there a number anywhere for the cubic feet of your apartment? The good estimators will figure out the CF of your load, then multiply it, usually by 7 pounds per CF.

swb

Postby swb » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:48 pm

Thanks for your quick reply.

We are both in grad school, so we do have some books, but I wouldn't say we have an excessive amount (maybe 15 paper boxes). We have one piece of exercise equipment, that weighs 200 lbs. at the most (and 2 bikes, if they count as exercise equipment).

There is no estimate of cubic feet, just lbs. I thought cubic feet estimates were illegal for interstate moves.

This is the only estimate I have so far (I contacted this company because I'm relocating for a job and was told I would receive a discount if I used them). I'm hoping that a few additional estimates will clarify the matter.

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:45 pm

First off all companies offer you a discount. So what was the discount they offered?

Second is it a way off estimate for weight. Could be. But I wouldnt say just by what you think (not being the seasoned professional) that it would be ridiculous. Without knowing what they estimated the cube to be then we cant guess on how accurate we might think they are. But just so you know, with the 15 boxes of books and the 200 lb weight machine those items alone with a 7# cube factor comes to 830 pounds.

There is nothing typical about a one bedroom or two bedroom apartment. Or for that matter a 3 bedroom or 4 bedroom house. I love when people say that. If that was the case then we could all just say its a typical 2 bedroom apartment and quote you on that and just charge you for the actuals.

Get the total cubic feet estimated. Multiple that by 7. If it doesnt come to the estimated weight, then they must have used a lesser cube factor. But by your estimated weight, I doubt they used a lower factor then 7.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

swb

Postby swb » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:46 am

Michael--

I realize all companies offer a discount; this one appears to be 70% off. I merely added that info as an explanation for why I didn't have other estimates to compare this to.

I will get the cube measurement from them...I appreciate the estimate from you on the books and exercise equipment. I am contemplating mailing the books to myself by media mail.

I only made the comment about the amount of furniture I have being "average" to make it clear that I didn't have wall-to-wall piles of accumulated stuff (which would make the comment about it being a 2 BR apartment completely irrelevant). It wasn't meant as any sort of way for people to tell me how much my stuff would weigh.

Since you are from Raleigh, would you be able to tell me anything about Excel Moving? It's a long story, but the employer-approved company in SC (where I'm moving) transferred my file to Excel. SaferSys has two listings for Excel (one spelled correctly and one incorrectly), but when I try to get the Licensing and Insurance information, SaferSys says it cannot find anyone by that DOT.

In any event, I appreciate your assistance, even if, as it appears, I have annoyed or offended you.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:57 am

SWB,

Not offended at all, so please dont think that. My point is there is nothing typical or normal from one 2 bedroom apt to the next. Thats all. Didnt mean to come off harsh.

Excel is an Allied agent here in Raleigh. Good company. Their sales people that handle HHG are a little fresh (new) and tend to under estimate based on my experience competing against them in HHGS. But a good company.

Keep in mind that Allied uses primarily a GPP pricing which is a binding quote, not a not to exceed.

Best of luck and no offense taken,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

AK

Postby AK » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:13 am

Hi there,

I did a long-distance move a couple of years ago with what sounds like a relatively similar quantity of stuff (1 bedroom, 1 office, "average" amount of apartment furniture, no appliances), but with about 50% more books than you have, and the estimate was 4,000 pounds. It ended up being a little over that, but not by much -- not by enough for the company to increase its charges, because they let the 4,000 pound estimate stand and charged me accordingly. Just my two cents.

AK

BBATCO1

Postby BBATCO1 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:26 am

I have taken 15,000+ pounds out and into 2 bedroom apts. I have put in and taken out 2000- pounds out of a 2 bedroom. You could be anywhere inbetween.....

IMP

Postby IMP » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:32 pm

I will defer to BBATCO on this - BUT will also make this point - a 70% discount will not get you the best driver any company has to offer. To illustrate Michael's point on "average" room - I have a bedroom with a twin bed and dresser (child's room) and another with a king bed, triple dresser with mirror, armoire, 2 night stands, cedar chest and 2 walk in closets pretty full. Not being argumentative, just saying that there is nothing "average" about a room. Like BBAT - I've seen 2 BR apartments with 15,000#. I would say that an "average" would be 7500-10,000 pounds however.

My recommendation is that if you are going to use a professional mover, give us the city of origin and if we have a list of movers from whom you should get estimates, we will provide that - Diane has done extensive research. Obtain 3 estimates from reputable companies and we will help walk you through them.

It is not reasonable to estimate price based on cubic feet - but movers need to determine cubic feet for a couple of reasons - one of which is the standard for determining a weight estimate, and another is to determine how much truck space will be taken up.

Please keep these lines of communication open - we are here to help.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:49 pm

He/she says that he has to use an employer-approved moving company, but just in case, this is what has been said here about movers in Philadelphia where he is posting from. We also have three good reviews of Sinclair (Mayflower) in Philadelphia and West Berlin, NJ.
Diane wrote:PHILADELPHIA AREA

Allied Van Lines agents

--Advance Transportation (Allied) in Philadelphia.
Regarded as "solid" by "weem" (works for a mover in northeast MD).

--Bayshore Transportation System, Inc. (Allied) in Newark, DE.
One of the "gold standard" movers. It has excellent quality scores from the van line. Highly praised by "PMueller" (works for another Allied agent) and "weem" (works for a mover in northeast MD).

--Clemmer Moving & Storage, Inc. (Allied) in Telford.

--Shelly Moving & Storage, Inc. (Allied) in Malvern.
"jenn" (moving to Pittsburgh) gave them a rave review:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... =5748#5748 (within-PA)

Mayflower Van Lines agents

--American Way Moving Systems (Mayflower) in King Of Prussia.
"BigLeeCalif" (working for a United agent in CA) made very good comments about them:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=817

United Van Lines agents

--Fischer-Hughes Transport, Inc. (United) in King of Prussia.
Mentioned but little information. "jenn" posted that they were recommended for a local move by people at her university:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... =1615#1615

--Hughes Relocation Services, Inc. (United) in Doylestown.
Mentioned but little information. "BigLeeCalif" (working for a United agent in CA) said that they were an established United agent with multiple locations in PA.

-- Parks Moving Systems, Inc. (United) in West Chester.
Mentioned but little information. "BigLeeCalif" (working for a United agent in CA) said that they were an established United agent with multiple locations in PA.

--Ware's Van & Storage Co. (United) in Quakertown.
A "gold standard" mover highly praised by "weem" (works for a mover in northeast MD).
Last edited by Diane on Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swb

Postby swb » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:54 pm

Thanks to all who have commented so far. I already have another in-home visit lined up for Friday (with Sinclair, which seems to come well-recommended on this site).

I am moving from Philadelphia to Greenville, SC. I originally was in contact with a mover in Greenville (a local agent of a national van line; they were the state-approved vendor my employer referred me to), but they have apparently closed operations and transferred my info to an agent in Raleigh. I am not comfortable working with an agent not located in either my origin or destination city (and the whole situation frankly feels wrong...a Philly agent had to do the estimate, which was sent to Greenville, which got forwarded to Raleigh...and the agent in Greenville never called to tell me that they were going out of business and would not handle my move). And, based on the agreement the agent has with my employer, I am being told that they cannot offer me a GTNE or binding estimate.

In any event, I will post more when I have additional estimates (I am also having the original inventory faxed to me).

Thanks.
Last edited by swb on Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swb

Postby swb » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:57 pm

I should note that I do not need to go with any particular mover. I will be reimbursed for a set amount of money regardless of which mover I use. I just began looking with the mover my employer recommended (but this is the operation that has apparently shut down, so it's a bit of a non-issue at this point).

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:03 pm

In that case, based on the above summary post, I think you might want to get estimates from Ware's and Bayshore in addition to Sinclair.

swb

Postby swb » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:28 am

OK...(finally) time for an update.

I received additional estimates and confirmed that the first weight estimate of 11,850 lbs was inaccurate. Specifically, Sinclair Moving and Storage (a Mayflower Agent) gave me a GNTE estimate of $4200 for 7000 lbs (this included full valuation coverage and packing about 5 boxes, one mirror carton, and a mattress set). Shannon Transport (Atlas) gave me a non-binding estimate for of $3275 for 7,144 lbs (this includes free full valuation coverage because I am a AAA member and the same amount of packing as the Sinclair/Mayflower estimate).

Armed with these estimates, I contacted the company with which my new employer has a contract, Excel Moving and Storage (Allied) out of Raleigh, NC. My representative offered to send out another representative from a different local Allied agent to do a new inventory (as detailed in my earlier post, my move was originally being handled by a Greenville Allied agent who sent out the first estimator). The representative was from Bayshore (which, after reading this website, I was very happy about). The gentleman from Bayshore was excellent-- if I didn't have an incentive to use my employer-approved vendor, I would probably use Bayshore.

Although the new Allied estimate is the highest weight (7,750 lbs), Excel is able to give me the best discount (due to the contract with my employer), resulting in an estimated cost of $3450 (with full valuation and fragile packing). The estimate is non-binding, but I'm confident that, given that all of my other weight estimates were actually lower, the weight should not exceed what they have estimated. They have guaranteed my pack and load dates (Bayshore will be doing the packing), as well as a spread of delivery days. And Jennifer at Excel is wonderful-- she is incredibly accessible and has answered all of my (many) questions.

If any experts have additional suggestions or things I should think about, I welcome the advice (what I've received so far has been invaluable). I am about to sign the Excel estimate to finalize everything (but noticed that the copy I had did not have the pack, load, or delivery dates on it, so I'm waiting for a revised version before signing anything).

Otherwise, I will update after the move.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:50 pm

I asked some of the industry pros to comment on this. My only concern is that you don't have a GNTE with Excel and I've asked whether this is normal for such partially company-reimbursed moves. Also, what company will actually haul you to SC? Your estimate from Sinclair is very attractive too.

Return to “Open Community”