suggestions for DC to NYC

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
azul

suggestions for DC to NYC

Postby azul » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:19 pm

I'm moving from DC to NYC next month and would appreciate your guidance on a few things because of my slightly complicated situation:

I am moving from DC to Manhattan, but half of my stuff will need to go into storage in NYC. After a few months, the items in storage will then need to be moved to Brooklyn. I need a full service moving company because I cannot move/lift heavy things or drive a van/truck.

I therefor have a few questions:

- any recommended movers for DC to NYC?

- am I best off finding one moving company for the whole thing (move DC to NYC, NYC storage, move Manhattan to Brooklyn) or for doing each piece seperately?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

guest123

Re: suggestions for DC to NYC

Postby guest123 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:02 pm

i recommend good samaritan

I moved from dc to nyc the same day. they came at around 10 and got to new york by 630 or so. Done by 8 pm.

http://www.goodsamaritan-moving.net/

IMP

Postby IMP » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:15 pm

It is the policy of this site NOT to recommend movers. Those who volunteer will not do so - we will all tell you that you should find reputable companies in your local area to come and give you an in home, written, not to exceed price quote and we will help you in weeding through the estimates. Do not use online moving engines - you of course can use the online yellow pages to find movers, and if you have questions about them, come back and give us their DOT numbers and someone can research whether or not that company is worth getting an estimate from as described above.

I have concerns about anyone who pops up and says "I had a great experience with ____________ mover". If they had a great experience, there is no reason for them to be watching a website entitled "movingscam".

IMP

Postby IMP » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:20 pm

Checked out their website - not a fan. They offer to sell "moving insurance" - please if you talk with them, ask to see their license to sell insurance - that is a product which requires different licensing to sell. They mention they have "a crew" of professionals. Do you want to move with a company which has ONE crew?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:28 pm

To be fair, the "Guest" was "nycgal", who posted here before.

But I personally would NOT recommend Good Samaritan. For one thing, they had their third license revocation in January (got it back a few days later) in just over two years of business. There's only so many times you can claim "insurance company error". They've got dual addresses in FL and MD, both of which are houses. One of their drivers got caught without a truckdriver's license. All this has been discussed before.

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:20 pm

<blatant advertisement removed>

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:22 pm

<blatant advertisement removed>

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:30 pm

Someone posting from MD gave Good Samaritan a very bad report:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 3282#43282

nycgal

Postby nycgal » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:50 pm

yes, i posted before as nycgal. i never paid good samaritan until after the end. I actually came across this board before my move from nyc to dc and since a lot of people on this site gives good reviews. I figured i should also give mine. plus, i am moving again within new york, so i also need help myself.
just wanted to give my two cents to you guys about good samaritan. you don't have to go with it but i just wanted to say it's relatively cheaper.

nycgal

Postby nycgal » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:14 pm

OH, and another reason why I went onto movingscam.com was because I had a horrible experience with some movers when I moved from Baltimore to DC. Those movers MOVED my things ONE piece after ONE piece and since it was by hour, they were trying to delay things. LUCKILY, i had two friends who were there so they did pretty much most of the move. I got recommended by my friend to go with Good samaritan. He told me they were good, but they were also late for an hour. I paid $1200 to move to New York which i hthink is pretty cheap. But I just found out from my other friend the other day that she moved from DC to New York for $1600 incliuding PACKING as well (they did break some of the glasses), so perhaps $1200 isn't that cheap after all. However, I wanted to do a same day move and bigger companies don't have that.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:06 am

Please don't misunderstand me, I was not trying to discredit your good experience with Good Samaritan. But based on several factors, and another customer's bad review, I think people should be wary of this company. I am glad you were happy with your move.

Concerned

Postby Concerned » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:27 am

Diane wrote:Someone posting from MD gave Good Samaritan a very bad report:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 3282#43282

Diane,

I believe the person you state as giving a bad review is refering to the Atlanta based company and not the Md. based company. It concerns me that you and MusicMom just throw out statements about companies, with out knowing all of the facts. The 2 of you should really be more careful in getting all of the facts. I happen to know the one owner of Good Samaritan Moving & Storage in MD. He is an American, born and raised in his fathers Church. He runs an ethical and up standing business. As with most companys in their first few years of business there will be things that don't go as planned. I am talking about the License revocation, they had problems when going from one insurance company to another, the insurance companies failed to either file the appropriate documents or failed to file them in a timely manner. You can't hold a small business man responsible for mistakes made by an insurance company. The FMCSA did not hold them responsible or they would not have reinstated their License so rappidly after the insurance companies error's were brought to their attention. As to the addresses of the business being the homes of the owners last timeI checked it was not a crime to operate a business from a home office. Besides they do have a wharehouse and office in MD. where the trucks are kept and the business is mainly operated from. The home office address being on the Safersys site it is mainly for mail and correspondince. If you think about it though :idea: if these guys were looking to rip some one off why the heck would they use their home address. Now that would just be silly. :lol:
As far as the driver with out his license, he has one he just failed to have it with him. No one is perfect he forgot it at home.

IMP- You must have been looking at the wrong website no were on www.goodsamaritan-moving.net does it state they sell Insurance. Once again another person on this site making statements with out even knowing if they are speaking of the correct company or having all of the facts!

I just hate to see a good business man get negative press unjustly. This site is supposed to help people with their moving questions and concerns, but what I don't understand is why you people on here don't try a little harder in getting all the facts about a company before posting incorrect information about that company. Just stop and think before you type something that might in the long run cause a person to lose business which in turn could cause enough loss over time to put a small business under. You know you could try going to the source to get all of the facts. Why don't you try contacting the owner to get all of facts before you post, if they don't want to talk to you or can't awnser your questions to your satisfaction then go ahead and make your post. But remeber not everything you find and read on the safersys or FMCSA websites are 100% accurate they even tell you that themselves on there sites.

Thank you for taking the time to read this posting hopefully it will help!

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:06 pm

Concerned,

Good Samaritan in Baltimore, MD is currently listed on my summary post with a caution symbol next to it, mainly because of the one bad review posted from MD and the FMCSA irregularities that you mention in your post. However, I agree with you that these may not be serious irregularities and that we don't really know what company the bad review is referring to. I am going to revise my post to reflect that fact. I also agree with you that I don't see any reference to selling insurance on the Baltimore Good Samaritan's website. We do have to be super-cautious on this website because our mission is to protect the consumer first and foremost. However, I will remove the caution symbol and just mention the need to be cautious in the text instead.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:57 pm

I don't think IMP would have said they offered to sell insurance if the website did not actually say it. She's not dumb. It may not say it now, but it may have when she looked at it.

When I post things on this site, I post whatever info I can find so customers can make informed decisions. If I am stating an opinion, I say so. This is not an opinion.

Good Samaritan Moving has had their license revoked three times in just over one year. One of their drivers was caught driving a truck in Arizona without a truck-driver's license. That means an unqualified and possibly dangerous driver crossed almost the entire country behind the wheel of a full-size truck.

One person had a good move with them. One person had a bad move with them. Take what you want from this information.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:17 pm

Thanks for the cautionary note, MM. Looking more closely, I agree that there is significant cause for concern about this company. When I did a search I found that there IS one place under "local moves" where the website mentions the word "insurance." Even more worrisome, I ran a Google check on some of the phrases and found that many very dubious companies use the exact same verbiage. Thanks for the warning.

We still don't know whether the person who complained about the bad move was talking about the MD company or not, but better safe than sorry. I gather that the deleted posts were from someone praising the company in a bogus way, another bad sign. Also, I note that the president and vice president of the parent company in FL, Moonlite Moving & Transportation, are Suleyman and Ayfer Sahin, and the agent in MD is Daniel Neidens. Considering everything, I am moving this company to the "avoid" category.

Return to “Open Community”