**A Arnold Worldclass and Graebel

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
posies98

**A Arnold Worldclass and Graebel

Postby posies98 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:54 am

Has anyone used Graebel Movers? I'm trying to go w/a company that does not outsource any of their labor (drivers/packers/loaders) and this is one of only a handful I can find. There was also A Arnold Worldclass Relocation based out of Louisville? We're moving from central Texas to Northern Kentucky...

IMP

Re: A Arnold Worldclass and Graebel

Postby IMP » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:46 pm

There are very few companies who will provide a 100% self pack and haul service. AArnold Worldclass from Louisville has a great reputation in the industry, well deserved in my opinion. What they DON'T have is a local rep in central Texas to do your in-home, visual survey, but they certainly have relationships with companies who will perform that service on their behalf. Graebel, while not huge, is still a van line. I am not saying that van lines are bad (or good) but they are only as good as the agent who is doing the estimate and performing the services. Where in central Texas are you located? You are on the right track and asking the right questions.

posies98

Postby posies98 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:35 pm

Thank you for the reply! Even though I went through all this moving here, it is for some reason more overwhelming this time around.

We are in Round Rock, Texas. I've had an agent for Graebel and United come by to give estimates. The agent w/Graebel was very professional and we seem to have some similar backgrounds and beliefs. I love how well she responded to my three year olds continuous needs. The other agent was from Central Transportation Services, for United. He was okay... not very particular and that bothered me.

I came across AArnold through an email sent by them...which caused me to be cautious. Yet when I checked out their web site, they appear reputable.

So do you think the impression I get from an agent will say a lot about the move? Do you suggest I contact AArnold?

IMP

Postby IMP » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:53 pm

Yes- I think your gut is a great thing to follow. While you indicated that the rep from Graebel was attentive to your 3-year-old's needs, I hope she was just as attentive to your needs and the circumstances of your move. I am NOT downplaying her courtesy, and I have respect for most Graebel agencies, please do not take my comments as negative, simply as ensuring that all eyes are wide open. Also - you indicated that the Graebel rep was a woman and the Central rep was a man - there are definitely differences in how women and men do this job, take it from one who does this every day. Lastly - yes - I would call AArnold and ask if they can arrange for an in-home estimate and if they will provide you with a not-to-exceed price for your move. They may have a truck that needs to return home at the same time and could get you a great rate.

P.S. - - - - as a Texan married to a Kentuckian, we'll miss you! Don't loose your accent, we'll save you a seat at the rodeo, and the Mexican food . . . well, never mind (stolen from Bowling for Soup, well, sort of)

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:58 pm

IMP - I agree that A. Arnold is great, but since this person was so insistent that everything be done in-house, how does this fit with her using A. Arnold who would have to use some other (unrelated) company to pack and so on, right? Isn't A. Arnold an independent? Would they be using a rep from another independent mover in TX?

Also, I take your point about Graebel in TX (not sure which agent services Round Rock--would it be Graebel Houston?).

Finally, can you elaborate on how women and men do the sales rep job differently? Are women better with women and men with men? I don't think that's a general rule, based on what has been posted here . . .

IMP

Postby IMP » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:06 pm

AArnold is independent. They self pack and haul, use their own crews. The only thing they would "hire out" so to speak is the survey. They may tell you that they aren't able to accommodate you - but I would certainly call and find out, and if they say they can, then they can arrange for a survey at THEIR cost, not yours.

Perhaps an oversimplification that women do it differently than men - but whether in this business or any other, women seem to be more sympathetic and men more analytical, women more prone to google over your kids, and men seem to want to cut to the chase of business at hand. In some instances a woman sells better to a woman, in others a man does because they may be perceived as knowing more about moving since perhaps they once drove the truck and now sell. Neither is better than the other, just my observations of the industry from what I have witness through the years.

posies98

Postby posies98 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:21 pm

IMP,

Thank you so much for covering all the bases for me. I appreciate the input and advice...not to mention the encouragement on holding my Texas exposure closely! (I will terribly miss it here!!)

AArnold is sending a rep from Ace Worldwide Moving and Storage, an agent for Atlas located in Austin, to do the survey. They also advised me they would give a "not to exceed" estimate as opposed to a "binding". What is the difference? I thought binding was not to exceed?? They also informed me AArnold employees would come to pack, load and haul. I'm a little confused how they can come pack if they don't even have a sales rep. local to do a survey. I guess I need to ask the contact about that.

I did verify Graebel would provide the same crew from start to finish. The packers would be Graebel employees, then a Graebel driver would show up, drive and unload. Their estimate was "binding" (when I asked if it was I was told yes) yet the estimate at the top says, "not to exceed". I keep thinking these are one in the same?

Thanks for helping me during this time!

IMP

Postby IMP » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:03 am

Binding means binding - no mater what that is what you pay. Not to exceed means if the shipment weighs less or the services are reduced, you pay less. Not to exceed is good.

As for AArnold having pack crews - their crews travel together, driver and helper(s) cross country - so it is all AArnold employees. Unlike most van lines who use local agent employees for packing, a long distance driver to transport, and local (destination) employees to help unload/unpack. For instance, with a van line (let's say United since that's a van line you haven't mentioned) - a local United agent in Austin would send employees to pack everything. A driver from another United agency would come in and pick up your load onhis truck and drive it to Louisville, at which point employees from a United agent in Louisville would assist in the unloading process. Yes - they are all United "employees" - but not same crew start to finish. Again - not saying one is better than the other, each has its pros and cons, just trying to explain the nuances to you.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:44 am

posies98,

It sounds as if you have two good options here, and both companies have offered you GNTE/BNTE estimates. I've noticed that sometimes companies will refer to them as Binding estimates for short when they are really Binding Not to Exceed estimates, but it's good to get the latter in writing. As IMP says, with a Binding estimate you will pay the same price regardless of the weight, so a BNTE is better.

A. Arnold sounds really good to me. Industry people have posted here that sometimes Graebel gives more attention to its national account customers (where the company is paying for the move) than to its COD customers (where the individual is paying). For example, "Michael" (works for Atlas in NC) posted this general comment about Graebel as a whole--not this specific agent (http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 2298#22298):
I will say, in my opinion of course, having worked for Graebel for 5 years, if your a National Account (company has a contract with the agent and the company is paying for it) you will probably have a good to great move. If your a COD (paying for the move yourself) you will probably have a poor to good move.

dbhooks

Re: A Arnold Worldclass

Postby dbhooks » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:05 am

We are arranging a move with A Arnold's Olathe, KS branch and the agent we have been working with, Lindsey Hague, has been extremely unprofessional and rude. We had not heard anything a week and a half before our move and were just inquiring on the status and she sent a barage of emails that were extremely rude and unprofessional. So we called the Louisville office and the staff there was extremely helpful and were able to tell us our move date literally 2-3 days before our move. The Louisville office recommended that we speak to the manager, Barry and Sherry Brand so I called and left a message. When I spoke to her, she did not apologize and she made a lot of excuses for Lindsey's behavior. If we had to do it again, we would have selected another mover but since it was so close to our move, we were "stuck." Since our employer has a corporate account with this mover, I did notify them. I don't have any issue with the main office because they were the most helpful but I wish we could have worked with them directly instead of the Olathe, KS branch; however, the office that is assigned is based on the area you are moving from.

I will say that Corrigan Moving Company which is based in Detroit is a great moving company. They provide excellent customer service and were extremely helpful. Patrick Penry was the one who helped us and I can not say enough positive things about him; he was extremely helpful. I definitely recommend them.

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:56 am

You should be getting survey from the move either by your corporation, the corporation moving you, or an independent firm. Make sure you fill it out and fill it out correctly. There will be different areas in each part of the process, the estimating and home site visit, the move coordination (Sounds like the area that needs improvement) the packing and loading, the hauling, and the delivery.

If there were issues please make sure you write the names down for the bad and the good ones. Having a complete picture goes a long way for the surveys. Praise along with costructive comments are good surveys.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:02 pm

dbhooks,

How did Corrigan come into your move? If you can tell us, we can add your comment about them to the Superlist.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

kyle r

Postby kyle r » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:25 pm

A Arnold told us they'd use single crew to pack, load, drive, unload. On day of pack, driver told us rest of his crew couldn't make it. They had different people each of 3 days packing and loading, couple didn't speak English and were just putting stuff down in boxes without more than a single sheet of paper between! Driver spent most of day trying to hide damage on furniture with coloring pen when unloaded. Tried to get refund, but couldn't even get enough $$ to repair/replace all the damage. Horrible, horrible service.

Return to “Open Community”