In & Out Moving and Storage (IL)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

In & Out Moving and Storage (IL)

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:08 am

Has anyone used In and Out Moving and Storage in Lincolnwood, IL. I'm moving from Chicago to Seattle and looking for a decent and cheap company. A person from my job recommended this company, but I can't seem to find any pos or neg info on them. They gave me a quote based on specific items and weight and I understand that this may change based on the acutal weight. Their quote also includes movers, and a month of free storage in Chicago which will be helpful for me. Their quote was $1886 for this move, and that includes moving a full size bed, a chest of drawers, tv, kitchen table and chairs (those are my largest items) and 25 boxes. Does this sound reasonable or should I expect a lot of hidden costs?

InsiderT

Re: In and Out Moving and Storage

Postby InsiderT » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:48 am

Have them send the estimate to your email, then paste the details in here. The price could be great, but it's the fine print that will give us the most insight :wink:

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:53 pm

Thanks for your response - here's the quote from in and out moving and storage. I also asked What the cost might be if i added an additional 35 boxes, and they said the cost would probably go up to $2600 -- still not too bad, but of course it is dependent on weight. My quote from Broadway Exp was about 1900, and of course this doesn't include movers. Should I ask the company if I can be there when they weigh my shipment?

In & Out Moving And Storage
    6440 N. Hamlin Avenue Lincolnwood, IL 60712
    Phone: (800)-770-4200 Fax: (847)-675-9920

Transportation: Description Weight Rate Net Charges
    Transportation(Linehaul 1500 $1,718.10 $1,718.10
    Additive Weight Charge $1.43 (Per Lbs.)
    Total transportation charges $1,718.10
    Packing Services: Description Qty Rate Net Charges Description Qty Rate Net Charges
    Box Delivery: $0.00 Packing charges $0.00
    Other Charges: Description Rate Rate Net Charges
    Fuel Surcharges $171.81 $171.81
    Services charges $171.81
    Inventory: CHEST OF DRAWERS
    1 BED DOUBLE
    1 CHAIR 4
    BOX 20
    KITCHEN TABLE 1
    TV 27" 1
    Estimated weight 1500
    Estimated Cubic Feet 214
    Totals
    Understanding your estimate: Total Paid $0.00
    The final cost of your move will be determined by the following factors:
    Grand Total $1,889.91
    1. The actual Weight of your shipment
    2. The total amount of packing materials and/or packing labor charges. Balance $1,889.91
    3. The amount of insurance requested (please ask about our coverage options sheet).

Please be advised that the method of payment for all services rendered will be
    collected 50% on the pick up date in the form of cash, money order and certified
    check, and the remainder at the time of delivery in the form of post office money
    order or cash only.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:13 pm

Since you ask, in my opinion you should rule this company out immediately. Asking for 50% of the cost of the move up front and offering a month of free storage are huge red flags that we on this website have learned to recognize as signs of a scammer.

The company's record with the Illinois Commerce Commission shows the following complaints over the past three years for moves within Illinois:

2 Illegal Advertising Methods
    4 Damage to Property
    2 No written estimate
    3 Loss of property
    2 Overcharge
    1 Storage (charge, loss, damage, wt)
    2 Unprofessional behavior

Its record with the BBB shows the following 18 complaints over the past three years:

1 Advertising Issues,
    2 Selling Practices,
    4 Delivery,
    2 Product Quality,
    1 Unfulfilled Contract,
    7 Customer Service, and
    1 Credit or Billing Issues

The company has a very high driver out-of-service rating and it advertises on www.123movers.com, a website that funnels victims to scammers. Its president is Ariel Hershkovitz. FBI statistics show that most moving companies indicted in the U.S. are operated by citizens of Israel.

To repeat: I would NOT take a chance on this company.
    Last edited by Diane on Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:22 pm

Thanks for the information from the Ill comm commission. That doesn't sound like such a terrible record if it's over a three year time frame. I imagine that some complaints are to be expected in this industry. Am I wrong??? How many complaints per year is normal?

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:27 pm

Oh - I didn't see the BBB report before I replied. I was aware that the company was owned and operated by people of Israeli descent - but was told by a coworker thatt they worked really hard - harder than any other movers she had used. This person's sister used the company for a move from Chiago to CA and didn't have any problems, but I don't know anyone else who has a good or bad experience.

I appreciate the info you provided and will rethink my decision. Thanks again

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:31 pm

I don't know how many complaints is normal, but the nature of the complaints also figures into it.

This company may have performed OK for someone moving locally within the Chicago area, but long distance is a completely different animal, believe me. You have no protections when you move interstate. Don't take chances. You can't believe anything the company says whether it's in writing or not, because there is no enforcement. I am sorry to put it so strongly and perhaps shatter your dreams of a good low-cost move (it happened to me as well), but there's no other way to put it.

If cost is a concern, you should go with Broadway Express or ABF. This In & Out Moving and Storage company (MC #306319) is just too risky to use.
    Last edited by Diane on Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:36 pm

Again, thanks so much! I appreciate you opinion on the matter.

Diane

Re: In & Out Moving and Storage (IL)

Postby Diane » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:17 pm

You might also want to check out this thread, where someone was moving a small shipment from IL to Portland, OR - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4978

The IL mover's association recommended Betsy's Trans-Pack to the above poster, which isn't the greatest idea because she's a broker but I think she would still be a safer choice than In & Out. You see, your acquaintaince might have lucked out and had a good move with them but there are still many warning signs. I see that they also have coupons on their website at www.inandoutmoving.com, another red flag.

Another idea would be to get a quote from a company like ShipSmart or Box Brothers that would have a packaging company send your shipment by ABF or other freight company. From what has been posted here, I think Box Brothers might be cheaper than ShipSmart. For your small 1500-pound load this might make sense. You might also consider getting rid of some of the furniture and buying new in Seattle.

Chicago local

Postby Chicago local » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:20 pm

Beware!!!! Completed a local move with In and Out. They took something from inside one of the boxes. They also took a longer than estimate~ 15-20%. Scammers!

Noone

Postby Noone » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:47 pm

This line under things that may change the cost of your move scares me:

2. The total amount of packing materials and/or packing labor charges.
    I would want a written estimate on that, too. They saw what they need to pack. As it stands now, they can load your things up and say "we used $5000 in packing materials and labor" and you agreed to pay it.

I agree with Diane totally. While the price is attractive, there are too many concerns to use these guys.

Chicago Local

Postby Chicago Local » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:56 pm

I would recommend against using them also!!! Packing material is not an issue if you supplied it. Again I must emphasize- In & Out Movers Chicago blatantly stole something from inside one of my boxes. I would recommend a personal walk-through of the trucks to ensure no items are 'accidentally' left behind.

Return to “Open Community”