A Detailed Breakdown Comparison -- SF to Seattle Movers

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Diane

Re: A Detailed Breakdown Comparison -- SF to Seattle Movers

Postby Diane » Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:24 pm

Everyone,

Just to be absolutely clear, the sales rep that I was describing worked for another United agency in a different city in the U.S. He did NOT work for Chipman in the Bay area or anywhere else. I was simply making the point that attitude is important in customer's minds because they hope that the company may show that same attitude throughout the move--the same point that Chuck is making. I commented on it because I think that ALL agents and ALL van lines need to be reminded of this.

In fact, if I had to rate the various sales reps/bookers that I dealt with on charm alone, I would put the scammers highest. The U-Pack brokers such as Movex would come next, and then ABF, whose phone reps sounded rather abrupt and rushed in initial conversations (although the people at their terminals were friendly and helpful once the move was under way). The least friendly person was actually the United sales rep--but then, he was apparently on the verge of quitting, so that may have been part of it.

If it weren't true that charm as well as low price brings in business, the scammers wouldn't be doing as well as they (very unfortunately) are.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:34 am

Dear folks,

Robyn Visser of Stevens/CA MovExpress came by today with the rest of the PBO boxes. Almost all of them are new boxes!

So far, I couldn't be more pleased with our choice of Stevens, even though I know the game has just begun. No review of Stevens/CAMovExpr has been written at Epinions.com, nor anywhere else. I am looking forward to being the first one.

I talked with Robyn about her cover letter, and she has no problems with me posting it. So I will do that tomorrow, when I'm not so tired and drunk.

Also, I invited Robyn to visit the forum, as she showed an interest in it. I hope she drops in, if only to see how her work has payed off and is appreciated.

Over and out,

Chuck

ca_mover

Estimate Types

Postby ca_mover » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:00 am

Hi all - I'm glad to be a part of your discussion group. I haven't had a chance to read through all of the postings yet but I did want to help clear up the 3 types of estimates that we quote.

non-binding = actual weight - if this was a quote I gave over the phone or if this shipment loads out of public storage, than this is what I quote. If it's less than what's estimated - the shipper pays less, if it's more than what's estimated - the shipper pays more. Side note - international moves are ALWAYS adjusted to the actual weight.

option-binding = not-to-exceed - If a mover comes to your home and has an opportunity to do a thorough walk-thru, then this is they type of quote you want. If the shipment weighs less than what is estimated, you pay less BUT you do not pay more than the "Transportation" rate. Remember it is "option binding" not strict binding. What that means that although the transportation rate will not exceed - all other costs such as shuttle/storage/full repacement valuation WILL be adjusted to the actual weight - what it does is bind the transportation rate only. Packing is something that it can also bind - but I don't. Packing is on the actual number of units - I'm not a mind-reader and people always will pack more or less than what was seen during the survey. And my guys pack tight. They will pack what needs to be packed and not a carton more. I'm sure this was put in place so a mover would not inflate the packing - personally, I'm insulted by that - but I know there has to be some type of protection for people from the unsavory characters in my profession. Sad.

binding = guaranteed price - And you know, I have never quoted this. Never. Why? If the shipment weighs less, my customer doesn't get to pay less. If the shipment weighs more, I certainly don't get more. The mover says we'll move you for this set price - no matter what. I'm sure there's a good reason to quote it - and maybe someone can let me know what it is.

I hope this clarifies the 3 types of estimates. Nice site - thanks Charles. Regards, Robyn Visser / California Movers Express, Hayward, CA / agent 01001 Stevens Van Lines

Josh

Postby Josh » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:43 am

Robyn,

The main reasons in quoting a binding move are:

Customer has tons of wicker furn, it is going to take up the space of 4000# but only weighs 2800#. You should bill them for the space it takes up, not the actual weight in that case.

Customer has 800# of stuff to move. You have a minimum of 2100#, so you give them a fixed price. There is no way the cost could be less.

Josh

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:39 pm

Josh wrote:Robyn,

The main reasons in quoting a binding move are:

Customer has tons of wicker furn, it is going to take up the space of 4000# but only weighs 2800#. You should bill them for the space it takes up, not the actual weight in that case.

Customer has 800# of stuff to move. You have a minimum of 2100#, so you give them a fixed price. There is no way the cost could be less.

Josh

Hi Josh,

Every now and then we get a shipment that may be a majority of pbo cartons, and minimal furniture...

If the shipper does not want the cartons opened, inspected, and retaped, our sales staff might cube them at a higher wgt per cube, and then give a
fully binding estimate. The other scenario is we get a lot of inbound shipments from places where there are no agents in the near proximity, so everything has to be handled via phone, fax, or mail...

If the sales person is relying solely on the information provided by the shipper, a fully binding estimate might also be given.

BigLee

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:38 pm

Happy New Year everyone! Sorry to have taken so long to get back to the forum, but the move, plus the holidays, plus my University's starting school on Jan 5, all conspired to keep me pretty busy.

First, Robyn Visser -- can't say enough good things about her: she is a great agent and interface between you and the driver. She showed up during the load-up just to make sure everything was going well. We weren't made to feel embarrassed about wanting to go to the weigh-in. I would definitely go with Stevens again, if I had Robyn on my side.

Another point worth repeating: Don't assume that you need that expensive shuttle service, unless you have exhausted all possibilities. My wife and I called several departments of the Oakland Police, and as it turned out, the permit we required was from the Community and Economic Development Agency. It cost $80 for them to analyze our traffic situation, and then you have pay $12 for every 25 feet. 75' = $36, plus $80 = $116. That beats the hell out of $800 for a shuttle. It's a little frustrating to get directed to the right agency to get the permit, but just keep in mind how much money you could be saving.

On load day, driver Jose R. showed up with 3 guys. One helped with inventory and load from the staging area into the truck. The other two brought everything down from the second-floor apt to the parking lot/staging area. They were experienced movers and didn't scratch a single thing. To watch them manouver huge pieces of furniture out of small doors, around tight corners, above a metal handrail, and down 20 stairs, was pretty amazing. I tipped them each $20, bought them donuts, juice, and coffee for breakfast, and gave each a bottle of rum or brandy (which they all swore would not be drunk on the next job they were on their way to, lol!).

The weigh-in proved our load to be around 7200 lbs. This reflected our selling off a futon and medium pine bookcase, but still -- not even close to Whalen/Allied's 10,800 lbs! Lower even than Robyn's estimate, which meant that we got to pay less. Total cost came to around $4,300. All the boxes we got from Robyn (and there a lot!), were all free, and in most cases, brand-new.

After a one-day delay because of bad weather in the Siskiyou Pass (Oregon), we arrived on Sun, Dec 22nd. Jose arrived promptly the next day at 7.30 a.m. He had 2 guys with him, and another 2 were supposed to have been there, but they didn't show until the job was nearly done. They were replacement workers -- day laborers -- who didn't know what they were doing. One guy knocked over a dresser and spilled a coke on our carpets, lol. Jose was pissed at them and didn't want to pay them a 4-hour shift. I didn't tip em, and gave the extra cash to Jose and his 2 guys.

On the receiving end, there were a couple scratches here and there, one broken glass, and a broken lamp base. Not bad, inmho!

I'm just going to hit the submit button right now, because I'm paranoid about losing this message. I accidentally lost it once about 20 mins ago, and had to retype everything ...

More soon,
Chuck

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:04 pm

Hi Chuck....

Been wondering how your move went...

I am happy that you were satisfied with the overall move. Looks like Jose experienced what a lot of drivers have to deal with occasionally, and that is picking up workers at the destination that they might not be totally familiar with. Most drivers that run continental try to use the same help in each city, and will contact agents and specifically ask for those individuals.
And most agents try to accomodate driver requests.

Lucky for you you made it through before the REALLY BIG STORM. Our Kent General Manager sent some pics of his xmas tree farm, and it looks like winter wonderland.

You've been a valuable asset here, so just because you're in school, keep popping up here to share your insight from a just completed move.

And if Robyn is watching, good work Robyn. And Jose too.

Lee

NicoleSmith

Re: WOW! What a great resource!

Postby NicoleSmith » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:47 am

Last edited by NicoleSmith on Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:30 pm

Nicole, I don't know anything about the companies you mention but I'm sure that others will jump in here.

In general, when you're dealing with a smaller van line like Stevens or Wheaton, there can be delays at the height of the busy season, but you're not moving then. Try to make sure that the destination agent is just as high quality as the origin agent, since you're not moving to a large population center. You might be safer sticking with a larger major van line or Broadway Express.

My only strong caution would be regarding ValueMoves (with an -s on the end), if that's the company you're considering. Please read this thread before proceeding with them - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3611.

Return to “Open Community”