Best proof of final weight and other queries

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
paloma

Best proof of final weight and other queries

Postby paloma » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:14 pm

Greetings! I can't tell you how helpful this site has been, so thanks!

After following the sage advice given here of "STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER!" and going through my local realtor, I have three GNTE estimates for a move from Ithaca, NY to Ann Arbor, MI. First of all, can anyone say anything about these agents/lines? And about how their estimates compare? Also I have several specific questions listed afterward that I'd appreciate any comment on:

GNTE estimates:

1. Hick's Moving and Storage (family-owned though apparently quite reputable locally): estimate 8500lbs for total of $4900 w/$35,000 valuation (we pack most).

2. Naglee (United): estimate 11,5000 lbs for total of $7300 and $60,000 valuation (we pack most).

3. Dimon and Bacorn (North American): estimate 10,500 lbs for total of $5700 w/$75,000 valuation insurance (ALL PACKING INCLUDED).

Ok, unless there's something fishy in the discrepancies (is there?), factoring all the numbers it looks to be pretty straight-forward: although Hicks is the cheapest, Dimon and Bacorn have given more valuation, a bigger discount (owing to contract with my employer), and if we pack most things ourselves that total is bound to be lower, as well if we are under their estimated weight (very likely considering we're going to sell or leave lots of stuff behind that I told the estimator to count anyway), the total poundage will go down and thus price. So here are my questions:

1. North American, from everything I've read on-line, is a nightmare. (Or as one epinion put it: "I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy!") Is it worth it to go with them? Can anyone tell me about D&B's reputation as agents? Do I need to know anything about the agents on the other side of the move (Palmer Moving)?

2. If we are going to mostly pack ourselves, but leave the fragile stuff to them (therefore they'll be liable in case of damage, right?), how can I ensure that the inventories accurately reflect what they have packed and what we've packed?

2b. Once we determine what we're going to pack and what we want them to pack, should we ask for another estimate in writing?

3. What should I request from them upon delivery that proves the actual weight of our stuff? (The agent said that their offices are informed of the driver what the actual weight is and then they adjust the bill accordingly, but how do I know they won't just lie and say it's close to the original estimate?) And how do they weigh just our stuff when it's packed on with other stuff?

Phew! Thanks for any tips or feedback. I have to say it's been empowering to just be able to know what kinds of questions to ask.

:)

Diane

Re: Best proof of final weight and other queries

Postby Diane » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:04 pm

paloma,

Here you go - a thread from last year discussing two of your three companies, which were ALSO said to have been recommended by a realtor (the same one?) - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4122 We aim to please. :lol: Jeannette McCulloch, who started that thread, ultimately decided to move herself in a Penske van, but she is probably in Ithaca and you could sign up for membership here and send her a Private Message. She might have further ideas about the two companies.

NO WAY should you rule out North American Van Lines agents on the basis of one or two moves that went bad. It happens to all van lines from time to time. In fact, just on the face of things, Dimon and Bacorn looks to me like your better bet. You can send a Private Message to "Nancy" (works for North American) to ask her opinion of that particular agent, and also Palmer in Michigan. If Dimon and Bacorn has a special relationship with your employer, they are likely to do a very good job for you to keep that lucrative account.

One thing that I'm concerned about is that you don't say that you have Guaranteed Not to Exceed estimates. You should try to get those. Nonbinding estimates (called NSO in the North American system) are less desirable because there is no ceiling on what you can pay.

Others can better answer your other questions. If no one answers you, ping this thread so they will see it.

paloma

Postby paloma » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:14 pm

Hi diane,

thanks a mil for your response, and i will follow through with nancy and "ping" if i don't get any other replies to my questions. all of the estimates were guaranteed not to exceed (GNTE is the right acronym, no?), which made me feel better from the start.

:)

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:59 pm

To answer your question about the accuracy of the weighing of the truck:

The trcuk will proceed to the scale and receive a tare weight before loading your items. He will then load your belongings and proceed back to the scale for a gross weight. The difference between the two weights is your net weight. You will receive copies of the weight tickets and can perform the math yourself. You may also request to be present at the time of weighing the truck, just be prepared to meet the driver at the scale and you must inform the company that you will be doing this in advance so they can let the driver know.

Liability of packed by owner items and carrier packed items:

You are correct. Items that are packed by the moving company will be covered by your valuation election. Items that are packed by you will not be covered if there is no external damage to the carton that is noted by you at time of delivery.

Inventory of items:

The inventories are completed with generic terms, such as the size of the carton, if packed by the mover there will be a brief description on the type of items in the carton such as glassware and carrier packed or CP, if packed by you or the shipper it will list contents unknown and packed by owner or CU, PBO.

paloma

Postby paloma » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:04 pm

thanks for your last reply.

if i go with the national line such as North American, do I have to be concerned about things like having my stuff stored in a warehouse for an unreasonable amount of time before they actually move it, or deliver it? I'm very confused by some of the messages i read (here and elsewhere) and quite frankly, more than the fear of my stuff being damaged is the fear that it will be stuck in some warehouse for weeks.

thanks!

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:21 pm

Providing you have a delivery address at destination they would plan for and schedule a direct delivery. There will not be a fear of it being locked away somewhere in a warehouse with them, especially if you are moving under an account with your employer. In all honesty, I know there are scam movers that misrepresent and truly torture customers but you should not have these fears while dealing with a company that provides services to your employer.

If you will need storage in transit (temporary storage while you look for a home), then your items will be delivered into a warehouse either at origin or destination. I recommend destination during summer months and especially if it is only for a few weeks. But they will be delivered as quickly as possible and usually on the day you request, if you have provided enough advance notice for planning. I advise to contact the movers and discuss closing dates as soon as they are scheduled so that you may have delivery as close to your closing date as possible.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:17 pm

paloma,

The problem with the move you are referring to (Ophelia's) is that she had a very small shipment traveling on a north-to-south route at the height of the moving season. The company she was dealing with (Allen and Coles in MA) is actually very reputable but the van line could not find a driver who was able to pick it up, so it stayed in their warehouse waiting for a driver for an unusually long time. Despite all the drama expressed in that thread and others, the fact is that her shipment took 16 days to go from MA to TX. Granted, that is not ideal (8-10 days would be more normal), but it was not a scam or anything resembling a scam. Allen and Coles also helped her by digging her study materials out of the shipment and FedExing them to her. You are moving in the shoulder season and it's not likely that you will have anything resembling that scenario. If Dimon and Bacorn has a contract with your employer, believe me, they will do everything they can to create a good move for you.

paloma

Postby paloma » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:04 am

diane,

thanks for the followup. we're actually planning the move in june (i am a consummate over-planner), so i don't know if that qualifies as the "shoulder season."

I'd still like very much to get in touch with nancy, the north american rep here, so can you please tell me how to do so? i'm a little slow when it comes to these forums.

--p

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:38 pm

Try todo it the first week of June and not the last. The last week of June is the buisiest week in the whole year for every moving company,
Ruges

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:18 pm

paloma wrote:I'd still like very much to get in touch with nancy, the north american rep here, so can you please tell me how to do so?

Ruges is correct. Your move would be within the main moving season if you do it at the end of June.

You have to sign up for membership here before you can send and receive Private Messages (see button above to do it). Then, click on the "pm" button under any post by Nancy and it will bring up a screen into which you type your message just like a regular post.

Return to “Open Community”