Excellent Moving Experience in Atlanta, Georgia

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
rjennings

Excellent Moving Experience in Atlanta, Georgia

Postby rjennings » Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:04 pm

I'd posted earlier on how to decipher Safersys.org. :? After researching 10 moving companies following Movingscam.com’s guidelines and with valued help from MusicMom (thank you so much), I’ve decided to use Mark the Mover DOT# 0758674 for my moving needs. Mark the Mover has a 2hr min and two men completed my move in 105 minutes (I’m glad I didn’t do business with the companies that have 3-hr minimums). Since I was doing a local move and didn’t have a lot of stuff (no appliances and no sofa – yet), I had a feeling it wouldn’t take 3 hours.

Along with meeting Safersys.org criteria, Mark the Mover was professional. The truck was labeled and the men had on uniforms. I had everything boxed and they hauled everything out of my old place and in to my new place. Being in a town with a lot of Moving scammers (particularly those in Norcross, GA), it’s good to know firsthand a moving company that’s reliable and affordable. I’m truly grateful to have find Movingscam.com. It saved me from being taken by a scammer. :D http://www.markthemover.com

Diane

Re: Excellent Moving Experience in Atlanta, Georgia

Postby Diane » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:19 pm

Great to hear this! It would be helpful if you could give us the name of a contact at the company, preferably the president, and also tell us how much you paid for your move. I notice from the website that they move people interstate. I would be interested to know whether they move people to Florida and/or the DC area using their own trucks.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:04 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

rjennings

Postby rjennings » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:57 am

The contact person I spoke to is Larry. I'm nto sure if he's the president. The Movers names are Wydell (unsure of correct spelling) and George.

The total cost of the move was $190.

TxGirl_in_GA

Postby TxGirl_in_GA » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:19 am

Did they require you to pay for one hour upfront?

After researching the people I was planning on using and then looking into some other well-known companies around Atlanta, I decided to call Mark the Mover (I also checked insurance and BBB on them). I spoke with someone named John who was very helpful. When I called back to make the reservation, it was with someone else and she quoted me a higher price, told me there was a 2-hour minimum (John said no minimum) and asked for a credit card to secure the first hour. After putting me on hold, she said she would honor everything that John had told me but it still felt strange to me. It's a local move, 1BR to 1BR, perhaps five miles at the most.

Any thoughts on this?

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:24 am

The original poster probably isn't going to answer since it was so long ago. My thought would be to ask realtors what they know about this company and get references, if possible. Sometimes companies do try to tighten their policies a little bit during the summer season. I wouldn't rule them out just because you got a couple of different answers from people, but I would try to confirm that they are reputable.

V_Moving

Postby V_Moving » Sun May 15, 2005 2:01 pm

Hello,

Do anyone has a current experience with "Mark the Mover" in Atlanta. We are moving locally in Atlanta about 8 miles apart 2 BR to 3 BR. I checked the safersys.org bbb.org websites and everything looks good on the surface. When I called they said they have a 2-hr. minimum with 1 hr paid upfront. I don't want to give my credit card yet without checking this forum.

Are they reliable movers? Last time I moved they ripped me off for 12 hrs charge for 4-people (FYI, the last move was 8-miles too form 3BR to 2BR and the movers absolutely were VERY VERY SLOW and even times disappearing. They were very unprofessional too. Unfortunately I didn't keep their name and didn't know of this website that time.

Anyways, just checking in to see if there is anything I should be doing not to get ripped off and to see if anyone used "Mark the Mover" in Atlanta and can give me some feedback.

Thank you all for the wonderful work you are doing here. Without this website I would be lost forever.

Thanks, V.

Insider

Postby Insider » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:51 am

Please be aware that when using Mark the Mover they do not do appropriate background checks on the drivers. Also sometimes the drivers allow other movers without licenses to drive their truck. They hire and fire outside of appropriate procedures and they have several lawsuits from employees getting hurt. What a messy way to do business, be careful!

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:24 pm

Total records found: 2. Viewing page 1 of 1 page(s). Records displayed on this page is 2. Search completed in 8.56 secs.

EXTENDED SEARCH: All Court Cases
Click a case folder icon or party name at far left to view the details of a case.

MARK THE MOVER
Plaintiff Pro Se 95-M-07677
MARK THE MOVER VS FREEMAN GARNISHMENT - CONTINUING

MARK THE MOVER INC
Plaintiff 98-C-02958-S4
MARK THE MOVER VS ROWAN CONTRACT

INSIDER,
Only show 2 lawsuits in the county 1995 and 1998. What court system are the other lawsuits from?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:42 pm

I wish we could get this settled about Mark the Mover, because the company has looked good to me so far. This is what I currently have posted about it in my summary post about GA movers:
Diane wrote:--Mark the Mover (independent) in Atlanta.
This company has DOT #758674 and MC #342211. It has had 3 BBB complaints within the last 36 months--not many considering the large number of moves it does.
We have three rave reviews of it for local moves:
One--very detailed--is by "rjennings":
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3000 and
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 2689#32689 (local)
One is by "TxGyrl":
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 6626#36626 (local)
One is by "nullset" (real name Buddy):
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 0068#40068 (local)
A person posting as "v_moving" was going to go with them but never got back to us:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4330 (local)

Another company I would really like to decide about is Atlanta Peach. There have been wildly diverging opinions, and I'm surprised that it's still a Wheaton agent:
Diane wrote:Wheaton Van Lines agents

--Atlanta Peach (Wheaton) in Doraville.
This company won a quality award from the van line in 2004 but there is also a bad report on it here - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2552
In addition, the company has a large number of complaints on the GA Public Services Commission website at http://www.psc.state.ga.us/transportati ... rsdata.asp
And it has had 35 complaints with the BBB over the past 36 months.

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:15 pm

Sounds like "insider" might be a disgruntled employee........is that true insider? If not how would you know about a bad termination?

v_moving

Postby v_moving » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:46 pm

Local Atlanta area Move -

I am sorry it took so long to post my experience on Mark the Mover

Our experience has been great. They are professional, moved very quickly.
I have moved 6 times in past 8 years and never found anyone better than Mark the Mover. Actually I am getting ready for another move and calling Mark the Mover again.

Thanks, V.

Also had good experience with Mark the Mover.

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:19 pm

I signed up just so I could comment on my recent move (yesterday) with Mark the Mover. The comments here helped me decide to hire them (along with good reviews on Kudzu.com). I'm very glad we did.

We hired them to move our furniture only (no boxes) from a third-floor apartment to a house 10 miles away. Three guys (Mac, Tonio and James) came to take care of it.

They were on time, polite, professional and kept working until it was done. It was obvious they knew what they were doing. It took them about 3.5 hours at $130 an hour. We were very, very impressed. I called only 10 days in advance and they were able to accomodate us. It was actually a positive experience!

I'd recommend them to anyone. Having had a not so great experience moving from Nashville to Atlanta using Allied, I know the downside to the moving industry.

Diane

Re: *Excellent Moving Experience in Atlanta, Georgia

Postby Diane » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:12 am

Thanks and I'll add your good report to my summary post on GA movers.

Jhonk32

Re: *Excellent Moving Experience in Atlanta, Georgia

Postby Jhonk32 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:26 am

thanks for the info guys ;)

Return to “Open Community”