Mattress Advice

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Eric

Mattress Advice

Postby Eric » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:20 pm

I am starting to get estimates on a move from Detroit to Raleigh. I have only had two estimates so far but I was hoping to get some advice on mattress charges before my next round of estimates next week.

My wife and I have a king mattress with two twin box springs. My son has a twin set. Here is what I have so far:

Corrigan (United):
1 king carton @ $36.87
4 twin cartons @ $18.06 each ($72.24)
Packing 1 king carton @ $23.13
Packing 4 twin cartons @ $18.37 each ($73.48)
Unpacking 1 king carton @ $15.00
Unpacking 4 twin cartons @ $9.11 each ($36.44)
Grand Total for packing/unpacking mattresses is $257.16 ($148.05 of it is labor)

Stevens:
Exact same as Corrigan but they applied a 63% discount for a total of $95.15 ($54.79 of it is labor).

I understand that mattresses need to be in cartons and the cartons have to be new (I wouldn't have it any other way) but this just seems like they are gouging me. If I look at the price list for boxes the Corrigan agent gave me, king cartons are $10.50 and twins are $5.50 if I pick them up from the warehouse--the price of the box triples just because the truck that was coming here anyways brings the boxes to me?

To assemble 5 mattress boxes, slide 5 mattresses into those boxes, slide 5 mattress out of the boxes at the destination, take the box apart and carry it down to the truck is at most 30 minutes work. $148.05 for 30 minutes work? Sign me up... I'll slide mattresses into boxes for $296.10 an hour!! I'll even work for Stevens and do it for $109.58 an hour.

I have several other estimates scheduled over the next two weeks. Is there any room for negotiation on these charges? If anybody has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.
"Never use the words 'only' and 'killed' in the same sentence." --Prof. Robert Harmon, Hillsdale College

PMueller

Re: Mattress Advice

Postby PMueller » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:51 pm

Corrigan may also be applying a discount, it just may not be visible in the cartons and packing. Look at your estimate and see if there is a bottom line discount. If yes, then the discount most likely applies to the transportation or linehaul, applicable origin & destination fees, accessorial fees, cartons and packing. If not, ask the representative to include the discount on your cartons and packing.

I work for Allied in FL and my rates (after discount) on the same are:

Container
1 King Matt @ 16.10 = 16.10
2 Sgl Matts @ 6.15 = 12.30
2 KSgl Matts @ 8.05 = 16.10
Total Containers = $44.50

Packing
1 King Matt @ 6.90 = 6.90
2 Sgl Matts @ 5.85 = 11.70
2 KSgl Matts @ 4.70 = 9.40
Total Packing = $28.00

This would be a total of $72.50 for all mattress cartons and labor for packing. Container cost and packing labor vary greatly from market to market. With Allied's TPG we do not charge for the unpacking of the mattresses and boxsprings. That is a given to you, our customer.

I am willing to guess and almost place a bet, that Corrigan/United has allowed a discount off the bottom line. Please call your representative and inquire to confirm.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:19 pm

Also included is the carriers liability for damage to what the carrier packs.
Which brings up an important question regarding the Allied no charge unpack.
If there is damage to the mattress, is the unpacker liable since, according to the paperwork, he did not receive revenue for his service. As a driver would I want to be taking on any degree of liability if I am not receiving revenue.

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:08 pm

Fred0844 wrote:Also included is the carriers liability for damage to what the carrier packs.
Which brings up an important question regarding the Allied no charge unpack.
If there is damage to the mattress, is the unpacker liable since, according to the paperwork, he did not receive revenue for his service. As a driver would I want to be taking on any degree of liability if I am not receiving revenue.

So these outrageous fees for 30 mins work is actually extra liability protection? The full value replacement option isn't even $300 for my shipment and they want nearly that much to pack and unpack a couple of mattresses. What about the $2500 charge to move me... isn't that "revenue for his service"?
"Never use the words 'only' and 'killed' in the same sentence." --Prof. Robert Harmon, Hillsdale College

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:55 pm

Fred,
The driver packs the mattresses and receives the revenue for this. Honestly, how much does a driver make on the unpacking of the mattresses? I think you know the answer to that one! Driver packs and driver unpacks, unless of course it goes into storage in transit. Apparantly our drivers don't have too much difficulty performing this, as I know many of them and haven't heard of any problems from them.

You should also know that when an item is unpacked by the movers, if something is damaged the chargeback of the claim is split accordingly to the responsible party, quite often between the packers and the driver. Yes, I'm aware of mattresses being damaged, but when properly packed and accounted for - how often is it anyone's fault other than the packer or the driver? In most cases on mattresses the packer, unpacker and driver are one in the same.

Eric,
The rising cost of paper products (cartons) from the manufacturer along with the cost of the manufacturer delivering to the companies are rising each year. The moving companies are forced to pay the fuel surcharge on these deliveries and as you can figure out is passed on to the end user. Yes, packing of the mattresses is not time consumable, it is relatively fast - which is why the labor cost of packing these cartons are lowest. The container cost is higher due to the amount of cardboard that it takes to make the carton. Therefore, no one is making $100-200 per hour to perform these services. The packers or drivers are only making a percentage of total cost.

The valuation cost you referenced leads me to believe you are shipping approximately 6000 pounds, I don't know where you are moving to and from but my guess is that it may be approx. 700-800 miles which would cost approx. $450.00 in fuel alone. So, basically what I'm trying to relate is that no one is making an astonomical amount of profit, but the nature of any business is to make some profit.

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:30 am

PMueller wrote:The rising cost of paper products (cartons) from the manufacturer along with the cost of the manufacturer delivering to the companies are rising each year. The moving companies are forced to pay the fuel surcharge on these deliveries and as you can figure out is passed on to the end user. Yes, packing of the mattresses is not time consumable, it is relatively fast - which is why the labor cost of packing these cartons are lowest. The container cost is higher due to the amount of cardboard that it takes to make the carton.

The rising cost of cardboard still doesn't explain why it would only cost me $32.50 to go pick up the cartons but $109.11 for the truck that was coming here anyways to bring the cartons with them (I am only about 5 miles from their warehouse).

The way the costs were broken down on the sheet they gave me was $109.11 for the matress cartons and $148.05 for packing and unpacking the mattress cartons. $148.05 for packing and unpacking 5 mattress cartons is condsidered a low labor cost? I don't care what the cost of cardboard is, these fees are ridiculous.

I think I am going to cancel the rest of my estimates and reserve a Penske truck.

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:59 am

A "do it yourself" move is always an option and providing you are in good physical condition or have qualified help and don't mind the labor, it will be a win - win option for you. You have control over your items and the cost will be slightly less after factoring fuel, time and other expenses.

Please reserve your truck in advance if you are moving at the end of a month and check on it often to make sure it is still reserved and will be available. Upon arrival of picking the truck up, get inside the back of the truck and close the door so that you may inspect for holes that can cause leaking if you encounter rain.

The cost for the mattress cartons should cost the same whether you are picking them up at the warehouse or if the crew is delivering to you at the time of loading. That is unfair to you and I would think that could be negotiable. Not negotiable though, if you are asking them to be delivered in advance of the crew for loading's arrival.

If you decide to self move and go through Penske, please post and let us know how the reservations and equipment worked out.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:00 pm

You have already stated that you can go to the mover's warehouse, pick up and pay for the cartons and pack them yourself, thereby saving money. The carrier has given you that option. You could pay a courier to go to the warehouse and pick up the cartons and bring them to you if you do not have the ability to transport them yourself. Of course you could also hire someone to pack it for you so you don't take the chance of pulling your back muscles, which is very easy to do.

Call your lawyer and he starts charging you the minute he picks-up the phone and charges outrageously for making a 5 cent photocopy. How extravagant is the charge for a cast at a hospital?

The mover has told you up front what his charges are for the services you are requesting. You have the option for paying for those services or not but at least he told you up front what to expect.

IMP

Postby IMP » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:59 am

You can also buy the cartons elsewhere - like a Uhaul facility or other self-storage facility that sells boxes. That is certainly your prerogative. Please keep in mind that most household goods drivers are owner operators. Out of the money they make for packing, loading and transporting your belongings, they pay their fuel, their labor, their OWN insurance, meals, lodging, etc. So for those thirty minutes that you think they are making too much money - there are many other 30 minute increments when they are certainly NOT at that rate of pay. When they are packing smaller cartons they make significantly less, you don't see the amount of money they are making on the entire shipment. It all balances out. Would it bother you to find out that the guy who unpacks the produce at the grocery store makes more or less than the one who sweeps the floors at night? This is but one small part of the big picture. I hate to say that you are basing your entire decision on one small thing - but perhaps if you looked at the entire scenario as opposed to pieces of it, maybe it would make more sense? Not being critical.

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:59 am

Fred0844 wrote:You have already stated that you can go to the mover's warehouse, pick up and pay for the cartons and pack them yourself, thereby saving money. The carrier has given you that option.

My original question remains unanswered: Why does the price of the carton triple when the truck that was coming here anyways brings it versus me driving less than 5 miles and picking them up myself? The labor fee for loading the mattress is a seperate line item so those costs are not factored into to the cost of the carton.

Postby 23 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:13 pm

Eric wrote:
Fred0844 wrote:You have already stated that you can go to the mover's warehouse, pick up and pay for the cartons and pack them yourself, thereby saving money. The carrier has given you that option.

My original question remains unanswered: Why does the price of the carton triple when the truck that was coming here anyways brings it versus me driving less than 5 miles and picking them up myself? The labor fee for loading the mattress is a seperate line item so those costs are not factored into to the cost of the carton.

Because it is a tariff item and is published in the 400N tariff. If you were to decide to buy the cartons ahead of time, then technically they can use their local carton rates to charge you and not the published tariff rates.

moverchick

Postby moverchick » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:19 pm

Also the cost of tape and any paper is included in the price with the agent packing

jim

Postby jim » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:57 am

go get them fromt he warehouse then and stop crying

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:35 pm

jim wrote:go get them fromt he warehouse then and stop crying

I'm not crying... I'm just trying to make sense out of the items on my estimate. Isn't that the whole POINT of this website????

This thread has taught me one thing, you industry insiders sure to get grumpy when someone has the nerve to question you!

Return to “Open Community”