Bad Experience with Soroghan Mayflower

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
MusicMom

Re: Bad Experience with Soroghan Mayflower

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:54 pm

According to one article, they got a Mayflower award for excellent service only this summer, at the convention in Phoenix. What happened between then and now to lose them?

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:18 pm

The owner was looting the company of all operating cash. Checks were bouncing left and right so service quality went WAY down. They couldn't keep good people for long. Don't be surprised if more Mayflower agents fold in the next two months. Allied Van Lines agents contracts are up the end of March and a lot of agents are talking about switching colors. Mayflower has to created room for them in already saturated marketplaces. They're willing to cut low quality agents to make room for new former Allied agents.

Postby 23 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:29 am

The owner was looting the company of all operating cash. Checks were bouncing left and right so service quality went WAY down. They couldn't keep good people for long. Don't be surprised if more Mayflower agents fold in the next two months. Allied Van Lines agents contracts are up the end of March and a lot of agents are talking about switching colors. Mayflower has to created room for them in already saturated marketplaces. They're willing to cut low quality agents to make room for new former Allied agents.

Jarbesh!
Last edited by 23 on Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:09 am

Yeah yeah yeah, and Serva is going belly up and Graebel is being bought out or was or has been. Industry gossip. Why would an Allied agent rated 3rd in market share drop to a company rated 5th and then try to tell its customers its a change for the best and try to defend the Mayflower agent that already screwed things up. Unless that Allied agent sucks or has a bad name and wants to ride the "MAYFLOWER" name. Cause thats all they are is a name. More people recognize the name then any other.

My thoughts anyway.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

East Coast Mover

Postby East Coast Mover » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:50 pm

In all the time I have been coming to this site. This is the first time i agree with Michael

Me/Michael

Postby Me/Michael » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:21 am

ECM,

Gee just the first time, lol. :D

Thanks I think?

Michael

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:33 am

Like it or not "Mayflower" is the number 1 name people think of when thinking of a household goods mover. If enough Sirva agents leave that system and go to Mayflower they can pretty much write their own ticket. It also helps that the former Director of Operations for Allied is now the Director of Agency Development for Mayflower and is in the process of recruiting some BIG agents. Gossip? Wait and see.......

Postby 23 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:44 am

Guest,

That is hogwash. Are you referring to Joe Schmelze? He is the director of Agency Development for Unigroup, not Mayflower.

You are correct in the point that Mayflower is the most recognized name in moving, but they are still only 1/3 of the market share that United is. Even if 50 Allied agents switched to Mayflower, they still would not be #1.

And what is "write their own ticket"? Unigroup has strict policies set forth for agents. What exactly is your point here?

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:51 am

Gene Elkins is the Director of Agency Development of Mayflower. After he left Allied he went to work for a large Texas-based Allied agent that is leading the charge to switch colors to Mayflower. Can you figure out who that is or do I have to give to ALL the secrets?????

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:49 pm

Most recognized name yes, that was never in doubt or questioned. To bad their service isnt what it use to be in the early 70's when they cared about customers.

And what does that say about Allied as a company?

To me if it happens it happens, it in no way will make them any better or any worse then they already are. We all know why United bought them, and if they hadnt, they probably wouldnt exist today.

I find it all interesting though, all the gossip that goes on in this industry.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

MicheleD

Postby MicheleD » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:39 pm

William Shakespeare mused that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet. Well, the stench left by Soraghan Moving & Storage in Tinley Park odorously coats the newly monikered Callaghan Moving & Storage. Caveat emptor my friends - let the buyer truly beware. A name change does not erase the poor business practice, fraudulent activity, theft and damage of property Soraghan built its business on. The owner of Soraghan is now putting his name on the business hoping that all the evils associated with Soraghan will make we, the consumers, forget. However, if you have fallen victim to their incredibly mismanaged moving & storage services, you will be well ahead of the game. And to those considering a local moving and storage company, look elsewhere, this company just plain stinks...by any name!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:56 pm

How eloquently put! Thanks for the heads up about Sorghan becoming Callahan.

ryannjen

Postby ryannjen » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:09 pm

Well wait 'til you hear OUR story....

We contracted with a company called Zip to Zip Moving in Florida to move our goods to Prescott Valley, Arizona, who then subcontracted our job to Soraghan Moving & Storage in Tinley Park. After almost 2 months of the run-around as to where our stuff was, we were then told by the driver the his trailer was stolen and all of our belongings were in the trailer. Turns out he did file a police report, and the trailer was recovered, and 2 people from SORAGHAN MOVING showed up to pick up the trailer. They never contacted us to tell us our goods were found. Next thing you know we find out about an auction that Soraghan is holding that has unclaimed property. We contacted the Tinley Park Police Department who told us Soraghan is under investigation and has been shut down. To this day we haven't received any of our belongings back. We lost everything we owned due to what the detective in charge calls, "Organized Burglary."

PatR

Postby PatR » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:12 pm

Caveat emptor <<<<<In Legal Terms...Buyer Beware!

Just in case readers are wondering what the heck that term means.
My Law Professors would be so proud lol but not so happy to learn that I got scammed!

I think personally once a person has been so utterly and completely scammed by a company, it makes them really weary of going through the process of moving again. I can't imagine losing my life's possessions to the unscrupulous movers. I got my belongings delivered but the things that I endured otherwise have left me with frayed nerves and sleepless nights wondering how on earth I'm going to go through the mess they left behind!

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:52 pm

I prefer caveat vendor around here; let the seller beware! :P

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Return to “Open Community”