McCollisters? NYC to Dallas move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
rns161330

McCollisters? NYC to Dallas move

Postby rns161330 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:34 pm

:?: I'm planning a move from NYC to Texas. I used McCollisters/United through my company for my move up here last year. I don't have any complaints. They were effiecient and friendly and everything arrived intact. The only damage was a small scuff on my fabric headboard, which was easily wiped off, and after reading the stories on here, I couldn't care less about that scuff.

Does anyone else have any experience with McCollisters leaving the NYC area?

I'm also considering University and Meyers, but I have read so many horror stories about Meyers I will probably cancel that request.

Diane

Re: McCollisters? NYC to Dallas move

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:41 pm

Hi - McCollister's (large United/Mayflower agent) has a very good reputation generally. Can you tell me what city in Texas you moved from so I can add your positive review to my summary post on TX movers?

I don't believe we have any reviews of the NJ branch as yet.

Yes, cancel Meyers Mayflower. I feel that University would do a good job for you based on the reviews here, but McCollister's would probably self-haul your things in one of their own trucks, a big plus in terms of avoiding delay and damage. University might not do that.

rns161330

Postby rns161330 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:24 pm

I moved from Dallas, and I am pretty sure that the unloaders who assisted me once I made it to NYC were from New Jersey.

rns161330

Postby rns161330 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:28 pm

Am I right to think that McCollisters might be more expensive? Is Univeristy considered a lower cost mover? Or are they about the same?

I have gotten quotes anywhere from 1000 (definately not using these resources..) to about 2100....
I am moving such a small amount (not even a full apartment) Because of this will their be much difference in my estimates?

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:32 pm

Not sure I understand your question at the end, but in regard to which is likely to be more expensive, I think they will be about the same. They both use the same tariff (price list) so any difference would just be the amount of the discount they give you--60% vs. 62% or whatever.

If you're asking about a minimum, all companies have a minimum poundage you have to pay for, but with an apartment-size move chances are you are above it.

Are you still employed by the company that moved you with McCollister's? If so, even if you are paying for the move this time, I would go with them again if I were you. They will be motivated to give you a good move to keep your employer happy.

rns161330

Postby rns161330 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:42 pm

Yes, I am employed with the same company, (but this is a personal move, so its all on me to organize and fund).

I guess its a good idea to mention why and how I was hooked up with them before? I might do that...

Thanks for the imput, this sight has definately helped (and scared just a tad :wink: ) me in the search for a mover. I have University and McCollisters coming for estimates next week, I'll be sure to post on my how it goes, and follow up during/after the move...I hope I can help someone else out the way others positings have helped me!

Thanks again

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:10 pm

rns161330 wrote:I guess its a good idea to mention why and how I was hooked up with them before? I might do that...

DEFINITELY do that! Even though you are paying this time, they will know that if something goes wrong you will let the appropriate person at your company know about it. DEFINITELY do it. McCollister's doesn't want anything to threaten that lucrative account that they have.

rns161330

Postby rns161330 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:21 pm

Ok, so I have two estimates...They are about the same, but I am havin ga hard time deciding who to go with.

I met with Scott from University Van Lines and he was great, so professional and really had some great tips and walked me through every little thing I had a question about. Also gave me a lot of thorough information on packing...so I feel very good about that agent that was reccomended to me by so many others on this site.

The other company, McCollisters, gave me an estimate that was about $275 less. Both Binding NTE estimates...

Here is my dilema, tell me if I am wrong to think about this this way...

University/Atlas has a minimun of 1000lbs, I recieved an estimate based on 2600lbs. I know from moving up here only 9 months ago I have just less than 2000lbs.
McCollisters has a minimum of 2100lbs, so I will most likely be paying that amount.
Do I go with them simply because I did work with them and they did a great job Last July? or do I go with University because their minimum is so much less and could potentially save me a decent amount of money?
:roll: oh confused...

Just wondering if anyone has any input! I'll make a decision today, but would love to have someone else weigh in! (no pun intended...)

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:31 pm

Hi rns161330,

What are the discounts that they're giving you. Are they the same percentage? If both companies gave you guaranteed not to exceed estimates and the discount is the same then as long as your weight comes in under 2100 lbs the difference in price will be negligible. At that point it comes down to who you're most comfortable with.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:33 pm

If you had 2000 pounds last time the difference between 2100 and 2000 is not going to make a dent in your wallet.

Even though its a COD you should ask McCollistes to give you the contract terms of your company on a COD basis. This way you could get full value protection at no charge. Most contracts have written into them that a contract with a company can be used by employees on a COD basis.

Second, if its me, and again you know where I stand with McCollisters, they have your companies contract. They screw up they know you can go to corporate and blow the whistle.

And lastly, neither is a scam company. So your safe there. Go with your gut feel. Who you liked more, who seemd more helpful, and so on. I dont think you can go wrong here.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:06 pm

Yes, they are the same discount...

Michael, you have a good stance on McCollisters correct? I am not sure I DO know your stance, but inferred that it was positive....

That is great information about the COD contract coverage, I will be sure to mention that.

Ok, I feel pretty comfortable about both companies, I appreciate your feedback and help!

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:11 pm

My stance, lol, well this is not the place for my soap box, but either company you will be fine.

Best of luck,
Michael

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:13 pm

Michael wrote:Second, if its me, and again you know where I stand with McCollisters, they have your companies contract.

Sorry! I didn't know what you were referring to here...thats all I was wonderin' about

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:56 pm

McCollisters is a good company. I was just taking a jab at them for allowing me the opportunity to work with them for a whole whopping 6 months.
Michael

rae

Postby rae » Wed May 10, 2006 11:56 am

Ok, Long awaited follow up to my move....

McCollsiters was GREAT. Every person was so helpful, my stuff arived on time and not one single thing was broken or misplaced or damaged. The pickup was very fast, and they took great care to thuroughly wrap all my stuff that I hadn't packed. The team at the McCollisters office was so helpful in making sure my COD move was a "cheap" as possible...I couldn't have asked for a better experience when paying for a move yourself! This is the SECOND time I've used this group and I'd reccomend them to anyone in the Dallas area!

Thank you Tom Candela, Rita and Christine at McCollisters in Texas!

Return to “Open Community”