Move from NYC to Switzerland

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
astroguy

Move from NYC to Switzerland

Postby astroguy » Mon May 15, 2006 10:39 am

Hi,

Although I am requesting quotes from some of the companies mentioned in the sticky notes, I have also requested one from Transcontainer Transport Inc in NYC (NB: this is not TRANSCONTAINER (USA) INC.). They work with Gondrand in Switzerland. I had good experience with Gondrand when I moved from Switzerland to the USA, so I am wondering if experts on this board have good knowledge about Transcontainer Transport Inc.

I found that they are a licensed OTI forwarder: 002154F and BBB lists a satisfactory entry. But I could not find much more information on any other site (SAFERsys, etc). They also use the name TTI forwarding Inc (for their CA site).

Thanks[/b]

astroguy

Re: Move from NYC to Switzerland

Postby astroguy » Mon May 15, 2006 12:20 pm

Btw, I learned that they use Shea Moving for the local packing. I read on MovingScam that there are good reviews (at least back in 2004-2005), although this is apparently an uninsured company (no insurance info on SAFERsys) with only 1 power unit...

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon May 15, 2006 9:16 pm

astroguy,

I spoke with Julie Shea, wife of Brian Shea, today to find out whether their company is in fact insured. It is. They carry all the required liability and cargo insurance, plus worker's comp for all of their employees. (Proof of this insurance is required for them to get into NYC apartment buildings.) Their website is www.sheamoving.com and their DOT # is 1387726. They do have only 1 truck and 1 driver, but they rent additional trucks when they need them. Also, in addition to the driver, Brian and his brother Ammon are working there too, along with a couple of other workers. The reason that no insurance shows up on www.safersys.org is that safersys does not list insurance for intrastate movers. Shea Moving is licensed to move people within New York State and the metropolitan area.

I was very favorably impressed with Julie. She said that they have been in business for 4 years in Long Island City, Queens. Brian and Ammon used to work for Rich Barrale at All Star Moving, a company with dozens of rave reviews here, before going into business for themselves. Julie handles the booking and paperwork. She said that if you want references for their packing work, call her at 718-932-1204 and she will give you some names. As you mentioned, their company does the packing for overseas shipments forwarded by TransContainer Transport.

I feel that this company would also be a good choice for local moves within and around New York City, including New Jersey and Connecticut. Rich Barrale, a person I trust, has recommended them very highly to me. They pay their employees well, a good sign, and Julie said that they have no complaints with the NY State DOT. They charge $30/man/hour plus $30/hour for the truck, so two guys and a truck would cost $90/hour. They charge for 1/2 hour travel time as well.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue May 16, 2006 7:16 am

Have their insurance company send you a copy of their insurance certificate. Should be no problem to do, I did it myself for a construction company I temped for.

astroguy

Postby astroguy » Tue May 16, 2006 11:11 am

Thanks for the info Diane. This will certainly come into account when I decide which company to use.

Did anybody have some experience with Transcontainer Transport Inc?

Regards

astroguy

Postby astroguy » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:49 pm

Hi,

We have received quotes, and I would be very grateful to experts for comments.

The details: move from NYC to Switzerland from a 2-BR apartment (approx 1000 square feet), incl. furniture.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Rainier with University Van Lines:
Rainier (Dave Wiviott; note this is Dave not Doug, I guess a family member) initially asked for Meyers Van lines for the survey. At my request, they cancelled and asked University Van Lines to do the survey. Bill Quigley of University Van Lines did the estimate. He is a very friendly person.

We received estimates for a 20ft or a 40ft container (UVL estimated a 40ft container if we take all our furniture, a 20ft witout it).

Door to Door (With Top Level Delivery Agent): $10,200.00 flat for 20ft container [exclusive use]
Door to Door: (With Second Level Delivery Agent): $9,300.00 flat for 20ft container [exclusive use]

Door to Door (With Top Level Delivery Agent): $12,450.00 flat for 40ft container [exclusive use]
Door to Door: (With Second Level Delivery Agent): $11,450.00 flat for 40ft container [exclusive use]

Notes: Transit time: 20-35 days door to door

You must have door to door all risk marine insurance while goods are in transit. Rainier Overseas Movers, Inc. will not assume any responsibility for uninsured or under insured shipments.

You can either arrange your own insurance or arrange it through Rainier Overseas at a rate of $23.00 per $1000.00 value.

The prices above include the following:

*Pre-packing at your home (full packing, labor and materials & export wrapping furniture)

*Pick up from your home in NYC

*Loading goods into a 20ft or 40ft. steamship container

*Delivery to Port NY

*Preparation of all necessary US Export and Customs documentation

*Payment of all ocean freight charges (steamship) and US terminal fees

*Customs Clearance at destination (excluding duties and taxes, if any)

*Delivery into residence Switzerland (up to second floor delivery) and removal of debris

The prices above do not include the following:

*Duties and taxes at destination, if any, payable in local currency

*Demurrage or any extensive Customs exam/inspection fees
*Rate does not include fumigation or quarantine

*Delivery above the second floor [unless elevator available] or difficult access at residence.

Prices are valid for 30 days. If you would like the prices to be held for 30 - 120 days, you must send Rainier Overseas Movers, Inc. a deposit of 250.00 within 14 days of receiving this quotation. The deposit is refundable and will be applied to the total cost of your move.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Stevens (Michelle Dillon) with McCollister's (Thomas Nerf)
Thomas Nerf from McCollister's did the survey; a very friendly person as well.

1st quote: 6500 lbs net minimum loose loaded in 1x20' container, pick-up of household goods from Manhattan, NY anddelivered to normal access residence in Switzerland with a rate of $176.10 per 100 lbs, -> $11,446.50

2nd quote: 4500 lbs net minimum loose loaded in 1x20' container, pick-up of household goods from Manhattan, NY anddelivered to normal access residence in Switzerland with a rate of $209.85 per 100 lbs, -> $9,443.25

Incl:
Wrapping + crating
export wrapping offurniture
land transportation to port NY
ocean freight to Antwerp
Normal customs clearance
Land transportation to Switzerland (residence)
Unloading, unpacking and reassembly
Removal of all used packing

Not incl
Duties, taxes, demurrage, per diem, storage, exams
Difficult access (aboce 2nd flor)
Third party services

offer insurance coverage (replacement cost protection) at $25 per $1000 valuation liability coverage with premium of $50.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Dahil
Instead of the usual forwarder, I directly contacted Dahill. They will use Relogistics Worldwide Inc. (FMC lic. 4383, checked on fmc.gov). Christopher Blank of Dahill did the esimate. A friendly person who used a software tool to calculate the volume and the weight (@6.75lb per cubic feet). He provided a signed list of the surveyed goods with volume.

Quote 1: 7,000 lbs (all furniture taken) with a 40' container at flat rate of $10,465. Incl, packing, special wrapping of furnishings, inland and ocean transportation charges,complete destination agent services. Not incl: special taxes and duties, demurrage, storage, delivery above 1st floor, and any abnormal access.

Insurance at $2.5/$100 (zero ded), $2.25/$100 ($100 ded), $2.00/$100 ($250 ded), $1.75/$100 ($500 ded).

Destination agent: Veron Grauer

2nd quote: as above, except 4,500 lbs in a 20' container for a flat rate of $8,366. Destination agent is Gosselin Worldwide Moving.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. International Sea & Air (NJ)
Michael Dragin came for the survey. Friendly, but did a relatively fast survey (in comparison with the above surveyors).

$7,400.00 Based on one exclusive use 20' container loose loaded:

* Pickup from residence at above address with normal access.
* Export packing and containerization into 1 exclusive use 20’ container based on 675 cubic feet (total goods surveyed) – FLAT RATE FOR EXCLUSIVE USE CTR
* Export documentation.
* Delivery to export pier.
* Terminal handling charges (THC) at export port.

* Ocean freight from New York port to Geneva terminal via port of Rotterdam.
* Normal Customs clearance on used personal effects and household goods.
* Delivery to final residence Switzerland; including inside delivery to first floor with normal access, unwrapping/unpacking of any furniture, and removal of debris.

Based on this option our overseas partner is: Harsch Transports – Geneva Branch

** There are vessels departing from New York port weekly with an approximate transit time of 10-12 days to arrival Rotterdam port – add approximately 3-5 days to Geneva terminal and allow up to one week for clearance and delivery.

$6095.00 Based on loading into groupage container.

* Pickup from residence at above address with normal access.
* Export packing and containerization into a groupage container based on 450 cubic feet (household goods less furniture as discussed at survey). In case of measurement change, adjustment would be made accordingly.
* Export documentation.
* Delivery to export pier.
* Terminal handling charges (THC) at export pier.
* Ocean freight from New York port to European base port.
* Normal Customs clearance on used personal effects and household goods
* Delivery to final residence in Switzerland; including inside delivery to first floor with normal access, unwrapping/unpacking of any furniture, and removal of debris.

I am unable to identify our overseas partner at this time as it is dependent on the volume and ultimate destinations of the other shipments in the groupage. Same holds true for routing.

** There are vessels departing from New York port weekly with an approximate transit time of 10-14 days to arrival European port – dependent on Port of Entry and truck loading to destination add up to 4 weeks for clearance and delivery to Geneva. Groupage containers depart when full.

Prices are valid for 30 days; thereafter, please call us.

Normal Customs clearance The above price excludes any customs examination/inspection fees, duties, taxes, and associated fees, if any. These fees vary by entry terminal and carrier and cannot be estimated.

Marine Insurance - If insurance is desired, premium would be assessed $3.00 per $100.00 declared value, This coverage includes breakage, provided that the goods are professionally packed and we receive a valued inventory. If not professionally packed and/or no valued inventory is given, coverage shall be excluding breakage only. Coverage is $250.00 deductible, door-to-door.

When shipping arrangements are to be made, please refer to the date of this letter, allow us at least one week’s notice, and send us a deposit of $500.00. Balance of payment plus insurance premium must be given to our driver at the time of pickup by certified check only. (Please refer to the Overseas Shipping Form for further details concerning insurance.)

Storage – Storage charges at our East Brunswick, New Jersey warehouse will be assessed at .40 cents per cubic foot per month or part thereof, but as a courtesy we will provide the first month of storage for free. However, we will assess you a one-time handling fee for labor in/out of storage of $.40 cents per cubic foot and storage insurance, which is rated at $5.00 per $1,000 declared value per month or part thereof beginning the day we receive the goods at our warehouse.

Foreign/Non-US Customs clearance – As overseas regulations are constantly changing, we suggest that you contact the Consulate or Embassy of destined country prior to shipping to ascertain what documentation may be needed at the time of importation overseas, .

Packing - includes packing of china, glasses, etc. into dishpacks; paintings into special cartons; clothes, linens and books in their own cartons as well as mattresses and springs; wrapping of furniture, etc.

Purchases – If your listed goods include new appliances (stove, refrigerator), or furniture, you may instruct the suppliers to deliver directly to our warehouse at 5 Lexington Avenue, East Brunswick, NJ 08816 . However, we must receive name(s) of suppliers with exact description of item(s) being delivered to us, enabling us to include same with goods forthcoming from your above address. As a customer service, we can, if desired, remove all original wrapping and labels for a nominal fee. Furthermore, as an additional service, we can supply sellers with proof of export for U.S. tax exemption purposes.

Transcontainer Transport Inc.
This forwarder uses Shea Moving in NY and Gondrand in Switzerland. Brian Shea did the moving. Friendly and came with his daughter. He did a tour of the house but did not take notes. Note that the quotes below are for consolidation, not FCL.

I.) QUOTATION

TRANSPORTATION OF APPROX. 8 CBM OF USED HOUSEHOLD GOODS / PERSONAL EFFECTS (EXCLUDING THE SHELVES) FROM DOMICILE NEW YORK, NY 11025 TO DOMICILE XX, SWITZERLAND LOADED INTO OUR SWISS CONSOLIDATION CONTAINER

- Pick up at your domicile New York, NY 10025, seaworthy packing by skilled personnel, transport via ocean freight, delivery to XX incl. inside delivery, removal of packing material same day and Swiss Customs Clearance

LUMP SUM: USD 5,500.00

II.) QUOTATION

TRANSPORTATION OF APPROX. 14 CBM OF USED HOUSEHOLD GOODS / PERSONAL EFFECTS (INCLUDING THE SHELVES) FROM DOMICILE NEW YORK, NY 11025 TO DOMICILE XX, SWITZERLAND LOADED INTO OUR SWISS CONSOLIDATION CONTAINER

- Pick up at your domicile New York, NY 10025, seaworthy packing by skilled personnel, transport via ocean freight, delivery to XX incl. inside delivery, removal of packing material same day and Swiss Customs Clearance

LUMP SUM: USD 7,300.00

Additional Services:

- TRANSPORT INSURANCE DOOR/DOOR THROUGH ALLIANZ: 2.50% OF VALUE DECLARED (ART.4 – ALL RISK)

Exclusive:

- Assessments by the authorities for duty / taxes etc. (if at all applicable)

- Pick up or delivery on holidays or weekends

Shipping Conditions:

- Transport by ocean with shipping line of our choice via the ports of New York and Antwerp

- Transit Time approx. 3 – 4 ½ weeks door to door

Documents/Information required:

- Original Inventory List showing each Packages with content and estimated value

- Original 1844 Form (Zollbehandlung fuer Uebersiedlungsgut – copy attached)

- Copies of your Passports

Payment

Payment via check or bank transfer is due upon loading of consolidation container at our warehouse or at time of departure from New York

Pick up can be done anytime from Monday – Friday with a 2-day advance notice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Security Relocation Group:
I asked for a survey from John Schafer but he replied that this would cost them too much money to do the survey (I could provide a list of items instead). So I eliminated this company.

Although I have some idea who I will want to select, I would be happy to get comments.

Thanks!

Return to “International Moves”