Local move in Boston

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
gosox

Local move in Boston

Postby gosox » Tue May 16, 2006 12:00 pm

I'm planning a move in the metro Boston area - from Newton to Cambridge - and was wondering if anyone had any recent good/bad experiences with the following moving companies:

Nick's Moving (quoted 2-man rate of $122/hr)
Gentle Giant (quoted 2-man rate of $165/hr)
Smooth Mooves (quoted 3-man rate of $135/hr)
Brookline Moving (quoted 2-man rate of $100/hr)
Kilroy Bros (quoted 2-man rate of $100/hr)

I'm only moving two rooms and it's mostly put-it-together-yourself furniture, so I'm not so worried about nicks and scratches as I am about getting ripped off by some scam artist. Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks.

Diane

Re: Local move in Boston

Postby Diane » Tue May 16, 2006 1:43 pm

Hi - as far as I know, Nick's and Gentle Giant are good but I think the others are iffy. Click on the link below my signature, read the first post, and then scroll down to "Massachusetts" (bottom) to see what has been said here about these and other companies.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

gosox

Postby gosox » Wed May 17, 2006 11:00 am

Thanks! This is helpful. And it looks like it was a LOT of work to put together!!

Related question -- how much weight should I put into a moving company's Better Business Bureau rating? For example, I just looked up Nick's on the BBB site and it has an "unsatisfactory" record.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed May 17, 2006 11:20 am

Hi - yes, a LOT of work, but it does seem to be helping people.

Thanks for the head's up on Nick's. You're right, it does have an unsatisfactory rating with the BBB with 13 complaints over the past 24 months (which is high) and no complaints over the year before that. So that person who commented that she had one good move with them and then a bad move may have been right. I'll make a note of this in my summary post.

For the record, this is the company we are discussing:

Nick's Moving Company
40 Joy Street
Somerville, MA 02143
Principal: Thomas Newton, General Manager
Number of employees: 2
Phone number: 617-491-7700

In contrast, Marathon Moving Company has a stellar BBB report - http://www.bosbbb.org/reports/reliabili ... 0000085802

Maybe that would be another one to consider, besides Gentle Giant. Usually you get what you pay for.

Anyway, please post after your move since the reports we have here on local moves are from 2004.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

gosox

Postby gosox » Wed May 17, 2006 12:37 pm

Thanks for the heads-up on Marathon Moving. Just got a quote from them for 2 man crew at $110/hr. They seemed very professional and I saw some good reviews of them on other sites... so I'm leaning towards them now. I'll definitely report back to let you know how it all goes.

Thanks for the help!

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed May 17, 2006 1:01 pm

You're welcome. I actually just spoke with a moverguy in Denver that I trust, Marshall Aikman at Amazing Moves (303-668-7444). Marshall worked for Gentle Giant for about 8 years and also knows the owner at Marathon Moving very well. He did not recommend Nick's, but he said that GG and MM are both excellent and should be the top two choices for local moves in Boston. He felt that GG might come in somewhat higher than MM because of its higher overhead (it has 8-9 satellite locations). He was predicting $160 for two guys and a truck--I don't know what your quote from GG was. However, he said that both companies are very good. I am revising my summary post to reflect this new information.

gosox

Postby gosox » Thu May 18, 2006 10:57 am

Wow, thanks! GG did quote me $165/hr for two guys and a truck, compared to $110 for MM. Also, MM doesn't charge for travel to and from their base, whereas GG does.

One thing that impressed me about both companies was that they thought to tell me that I'll need a moving van permit to park on the street in Cambridge on moving day, and provided all the instructions to get one. They were the only two companies to do that, which shows that they're committed to doing things right.

I think I'm going to go with MM -- I'll report back after the move (late June). Thanks again for the help!

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu May 18, 2006 12:05 pm

Good - please do come back and you might mention to the people at MM that they are being featured on MovingScam.com via the link below my name.
Diane

Return to “Open Community”