How can I know the accurate weight of my shipment?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Lynn

How can I know the accurate weight of my shipment?

Postby Lynn » Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:14 am

Hello,

I got an estimate for my move from CA to FL of 7,500 lbs. I know they weight their truck before and after loading my belongings, but how can I know the accurate weight of my shipment?

Last June when I moved from my house to a rental, they gave me an estimate of 7.5 hours and it took 3 hours, they charged me 4 hours since it was the minimum and I knew about that, it was fine.

This time, I won't be with them the whole time. So please tell me how this whole process work.

Thank you.

Michael

Re: How can I know the accurate weight of my shipment?

Postby Michael » Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:03 am

Lynn,

When a walk through is done, the sales person should have what we call a "cube sheet". Sometimes this is done by hand, but most of everything done today is on a palm pilot.

Each item in your home is on this inventory. And if it isnt on the list, with the palm pilot you have the capability to manually put that article in. Each article has a cube next to it. For example, an end table will be a 5 cube. If you take that cube and multiple it by a weight factor of 7, that will give you the estimated/average weight of the end table, thus 35 pounds. So if you take your estimated weight and divide that by 7 then your estimated cube was 1071.

What a good and thorough sales person will do when estimating is not manipulate the weight factor of 7. For example if I see a night stand, but I think it weighs more then the normal 35 pounds, I will change the cube of the article to be more close to what I think the actual weight may be. So for example, if I think it weighs 50 pounds, I will change the cube to 7.

What you dont want is someone that changes your weight factor of 7 to say 6.5 or 6. Because if you have some things that weigh less, it still manipulates the entire weight of the shipment. So in using your cube, if they would have used a weight factor or 6.5 your weight would have been 6964. Or a weight factor of 6 would have been 6426.

So even the most accurate people will not get a shipment exactly right. I think the largest shipment I had last yer, I estimated 30,000 pounds and it came in at 30,300. So thats pretty good. What your hoping is the sales person is detailed, thorough and explains to you how it works.

I guarantee you if you have 3 estimates, IN HOME, you will have three different weights. Everyone see's everything differently. Some are not as experienced. Some are not as thorough.

I hope that helped.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Josh

Postby Josh » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:17 pm

Lynn,

One more thing to remember is that you have the right to be present while the truck is being weighed. This way you can witness that there is nobody in the truck or the driver didn't fill his tanks before getting his "heavy weight".

If you are suspicious, I recommend doing it. I have only had one customer do it in my 4 years in sales, but he was "bamboozled" in the past and did it as a reassurance he wasn't "bamboozled" again.

Also, if you don't view the weighings the first time and feel your weight was not done right, you can request a reweigh at destination at no additional cost to you. Then I would suggest viewing that weighing.

Josh

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:05 pm

Lynn,

You also have the right to look at the weight ticket, even if you have not viewed the weight.

Check the gross and tare weight. Most scales use imprinted weight tickets, so if you see a handwritten weight ticket, check it carefully. It should have the name of the scale, state seal certifying the scale, and the weighmasters name clearly written on it.

Scam companies try to avoid legit scales, and can often come up with doctored weight tickets to inflate the weight and charges.

As Jose and MIchael have said, if you ask questions, get more than one estimate, and check it out, you will reduce the possibility of being scammed. No one can eliminate it altogether, but you can certainly be on the lookout for red flags.

Lee

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:58 am

Its U-HAUL not JOSE, lol. :P

To funny Biglee, and the h is so far from the e on the keyboard, lol.

Michael

Josh

Postby Josh » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:42 am

Michael,

C'mon. I kinda like my new name!

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:51 pm

Ok guys....

It was late and I was typing in the dark... and I shoulda proofed it.

Sorry Josh......

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:50 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Michael

Lynn

Postby Lynn » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:47 am

Thank you guys for your answers, it does help! This web site is good but kind of scarry when looking for a mover from CA to FL, which is a long one... From what I read, I should go with 1 or the 2 cie who gave me an in-home estimate.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:56 pm

Lynn,

I dont know if you think this is helpful, but post your quotes on here and we can help you better understand the fine print per say.

Info that would help:

Van Line (if affiliated)
Weight
Discount
Valuation
Services (if any, such as packing)

Not every company is the same in the terminology of their Binding, binding not to exceed quotes. And if we can help you better understand that, then maybe we have helped more.

Thanks
Michael

alin

Postby alin » Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:13 pm

hi!
we're moving from CA to FL too and I've got an estimate of 2700 lbs charging by lbs and another company 3300 lbs charging by cu ft. The binding price was $2053 with the first company, 2043 with the second one. First comany is United van Lines - Golden Eagle Moving, second is Globe Van Lines of California. Did you have any experience with these companies ? How much are you paying for the 7k lbs you have ? did you have an in-house estimate ?

thanks !
Alin.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:18 pm

Alin...

Check the Black list and you will find Globe Van Lines listed...

Avoid them at all costs.

if you already got an estimate from United (I work for United) it should be by the weight, and not by cubic feet. Cubic feet is used to calculate weight, as you have seen in other posts here.

Get a couple of more estimates from van lines recommended by friends, relatives, and/or coworkers.

Don't hesitate to ask your questions here.... Josh, Michael, and myself can assist with the inside insights, while Tyrone, Diane, and Tim will advise you from the scammed viewpoint.

Lee

Lynn

Postby Lynn » Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:53 am

Hi Alin,

For my 7,500 lbs, I got 2 in-home "estimate/not to exceed" from:

Chipman / United Van Lines for $5,100
California Moving systems / Atlas Van lines : $5,080

and 1 estimate by phone from Florida Van Lines/Mid-State Moving & Storage : $4,450 since I'll be moving in the Tampa area.

I did my homework and looked at every companies and decided to go with Chipman/United since they've been establish in the Sacramento area for a very long time and I moved twice with them in the area and had an excellent service. I also had good references from a friend moving interstate with Atlas. At this point, I'll just cross my fingers and hope everything goes well!

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:49 am

Hi Lynn,

I work for Chipman in the Concord office, and I interact with Sacramento daily...

They performed all of our origin work last summer when Hewlett-Packard consolidated their Roseville office and moved all the key players (over 50) to Houston.

Jim Weiant is the General Manager there, and runs a very efficient ship. Linda Martin is also the customer service manager.

There are quite a few shipments being booked to Florida, so the liklihood is more than good that you will also have a Chipman driver.

Once you have booked, email me with your order number, and I will tell our dispatch department to register it as a self haul...

Happy moving,

Lee

neal

Postby neal » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:44 am

Hi, Lynn I work for Florida Van Lines here in Clearwater, Fl. Thank you for considering us for your move,even if I didn't get your move, you are in good hand with United Van Lines, Let us know how it goes.

Thanks, Neal

Return to “Open Community”