*Insurance & All Star Local Move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
hking27

*Insurance & All Star Local Move

Postby hking27 » Wed May 24, 2006 8:11 pm

I've signed up to move with All Star this week-end. It's a local move from Westchester County in NY to Essex County, NJ.

Back in January, we did an interstate move with Armstrong out of Chicago. I picked the company based on reviews on this board and was extremely pleased.

So, when it was time for the local move, I looked here again.

I have two reasons for posting:

1) Insurance: For a local move, I was told it was 30 cents per lb unless I purchase additional insurance. For our interstate move, I did purchase the insurance with no deductable. Nothing was broken. Everything arrived in good shape. I was told afterwards that I probably didn't need the insurance because we did PBO.

Now, I'm back to the same quandry again -- do I purchase insurance or not? We are doing it all PBO again. I guess I don't understand in some way why I should have to purchase the insurance? If they drop my antique china cabinet on the way into the house -- why is it only covered if I purchase insurance?

Can someone advise me on this? Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly?

2) Local Move by the hour. I saw here that some people got some sort of NTE estimate. I wasn't offered this at all. They just estimated the time and men. 5 men - 4 and a driver at $210 an hour. And, I have to pay for drive time from Brooklyn to my house and then back home again afterwards. The rate seemed pretty standard and some companies charged extra for Saturdays or longer than 8 hours. So, the rate seemed good, but should I have pressed for some sort of NTE agreement?

Thanks everyone for your help. I can't tell you how much I've learned and benefitted from reading this board.

PMueller

Re: Insurance & All Star Local Move

Postby PMueller » Wed May 24, 2006 9:47 pm

hking27 wrote:do I purchase insurance or not? We are doing it all PBO again. I guess I don't understand in some way why I should have to purchase the insurance? If they drop my antique china cabinet on the way into the house -- why is it only covered if I purchase insurance?

Can someone advise me on this? Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly?

First, you are not purchasing insurance. Insurance can only be purchased through a licensed insurance agent. Also with valuation there is no policy that is issued, as there would be if you were purchasing insurance. What your choices are is to declare a value and select your valuation. Valuation is the maximum amount of liability that is placed on the mover while your goods are in their possession. Your options are most likely between Basic Liability and Full Value Replacement.

Basic liability is very minimal. Our local moves in FL are covered at .60 per pound, per article, I see you have stated where you are it is at .30 per pound, per article. This applies to everything in the move. If you are requiring 5 men on your job, this is not a small move. I'm guessing you have some fairly valuable pieces of furniture along with your breakables that you have chosen to pack.

When you release your shipment with basic liability no matter what happens, that caps the movers responsiblity for liability at the minimal amounts. Example: If a chair weighs 20 pounds, the maximum you could receive it was damaged beyond repair would be $6.00.

When you elect full value and pay the charge for this then you have full value replacement in the event of anything major occuring, except for the cartons that are PBO (packed by owner). The same chair that weighs 20 pounds the maximum you could receive is the replacement cost of the chair if the chair is still available and manufactured. If not, you may need to find a comparable piece to provide cost and information on or provide a receipt for the purchase price.

Your PBO cartons have no liability with the mover whatsoever if there is no external damage to the carton, even with external damage to carton, quite often when it is inspected it is found to have been packed improperly which puts the liability back on the packer. If you have major collectibles or fragile pieces I recommend taking them with you in your vehicle.

hking27 wrote:Local Move by the hour. I saw here that some people got some sort of NTE estimate. I wasn't offered this at all. They just estimated the time and men. 5 men - 4 and a driver at $210 an hour. And, I have to pay for drive time from Brooklyn to my house and then back home again afterwards. The rate seemed pretty standard and some companies charged extra for Saturdays or longer than 8 hours. So, the rate seemed good, but should I have pressed for some sort of NTE agreement?

When a move is sold on a hourly basis it is very difficult to get a NTE estimate in most cases. In my state, we have a rule of thumb that if you are moving less than 50 miles we charge hourly plus a standard 1 hour travel time on top of actual number of hours moving services were performed. Therefore our customers are not paying for an accident that occurred on the highway blocking traffic. If your move is over 50 miles, we convert to an estimate that is based on weight and distance - therefore you are able to get a NTE estimate. These options are not available with all companies in all locations. You should definately ask for a NTE estimate, what would it hurt? Many companies will accomodate if they are pressed for it. The worst that could happen is they indicate they will not. But you have lost nothing by inquiring.

hking27

Postby hking27 » Thu May 25, 2006 8:26 pm

PMueller, thanks for the informatin.

I spoke with All Star and they offer "insurance", I guess valuation? through Transguard. I pay $7.50 per $1000 with a $500 deductable.

How do I determine how much to insure for? I wouldn't need to do the boxes since they are PBO?

Thanks for the help. I find this information really confusing. In Chicago we moved locally and they damaged one item. They offered to fix it and we didn't pay extra for insurance. I find this whole area difficult to understand.

macd

Postby macd » Fri May 26, 2006 3:31 pm

The limits of liability for interstate moves are set by the federal government. Did you get a copy of "Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move" phamplet? Start reading at Subpart B for the details.

PMueller

Re: *Insurance & All Star Local Move

Postby PMueller » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:31 pm

I'm sorry I lost track of this thread, I'm just now reviewing in detail and located it. "Your Rights and Responsibilities" is only if you are moving interstate from one state to another. From earlier in this thread, I believe you are moving locally, correct?

The valuation amount you want to declare and pay for is usually at a minimum of $5.00 per pound. Example: If the estimated weight is 10,000 pounds you should declare at least $50,000.00
12,000 pounds you should declare at least $60,000.00

I recommend looking at your homeowner's to see what you have the contents of your home insured for, as that is what you are moving.

It is usually offered in increments, 40,000, 50,000, 60,000, 75,000, 100,000, 125,000, etc.

There are usually options for your deductible, zero, $250.00, $500.00. The cost for the valuation is based upon the deductible that is chosen. Inquire as to the rate for the other deductibles so that you can make an informed decision regarding valuation.

Again, I apologize for my delay with a response. When are you moving?

Return to “Open Community”