Moving from Santa Cruz to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Alanc

Moving from Santa Cruz to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

Postby Alanc » Sat May 27, 2006 7:08 pm

Thanks for support. We are moving from Santa Cruz to Bethlehem, PA. I would like to have a full-service move since I am pretty busy with my job transition.

We have one quote from Locatelli Moving and Storage (United Van Lines). We have also contacted Montrose (Mayflower), but we were directed back to Locatelli since they do not handle moves in Santa Cruz.

I would like to find out if the quote I received is resonable?

Non-Bound Estimate.

Weight 12,500

It is a 3 bedroom house. We actually got rid of a lot of the junk in the house. We gave away some of our old furniture to Goodwill so it is not a full house! I am concerned that the weight estimate is a little high.

Total Estimated Cost: $11,515.41
The estimate includes some packing of glass shelves and glass frames.

I am also considering paying the insurance (Full Value Protection).

Thanks for your support.

Alan

PMueller

Re: Moving from Santa Cruz to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

Postby PMueller » Sat May 27, 2006 9:33 pm

I would recommend asking them for a NTE (not to exceed) estimate if you feel the weight should be less. A not to exceed estimate will provide you with peace of mind that the cost will not exceed what has been estimated, but may cost less if it weighs less than estimated.

You will find more companies to receive an estimate from if you look in the San Jose section. There are good agencies there for United & North American. Atlas has an office in Santa Cruz. Allied has offices in Menlo Park and Burlingame that would service your area.

McCollister's (United) is located in San Jose (McCollister's has been well respected in the industry for years)

Nevil Transportation & Greater Bay Area (North American) is located in San Jose (I'm not familiar with them first hand - but a volunteer here "Nancy" would have some knowledge of your area as she is in CA)

Blue Bird (Atlas) is located in Santa Cruz. (Again - I have no first hand knowledge on them)

Golden Gate Moving (Allied) is located in Menlo Park (Golden Gate does a good job in the area for my office)

Nor-Cal Moving & Storage (Allied) is located in Burlingame (This office has a strong hauling fleet and perform many relocations for national accounts which handles corporate transferees)

The above listings are not endorsements for any of the companies, but hopefully you can receive more estimates for your comparison. Again, I stress you want to ask for a guarantee or a not to exceed estimate, both of which are better than a non binding estimate.

Keep posting and let us know what transpires if you contact other companies.

Alanc

Postby Alanc » Tue May 30, 2006 11:08 pm

Thanks for your feedback. I will certainly try the recommended movers for additional quotes. I am also going to get a quote from Moovers because of the excellent feedback on the site.

I'll update the post as I go.

Take care,

Alanc

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:00 pm

I met with Moovers on Monday. The person that visited Jay was very helpful and informative. He gave a quote for 10,500 lbs. The total cost was approximately $2K cheaper than United. The quote was a NTE which I asked for based on the comments from the board.

We are moving on July 5th so I will update the board on how it goes. Thanks for everyones help so far.

Alan

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:02 pm

Great - please do come back to report so we can keep our reviews current.

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:38 am

I'm glad you were able to find someone to feel comfortable with and get a NTE estimate for your own peace of mind.

Return to “Open Community”