Moving from VA to GA, need advice

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
EricE

Moving from VA to GA, need advice

Postby EricE » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:58 pm

I am planning a move around christmas, I have 3 companies coming out to the house today, Kloke Moving (UNITED), Eureka Van & Storage (Wheaton Worldwide), and Relocation Systems LLc (North American). Any advisement on any of these companys would be great, or if there is someone else in the area that anyone could recommend, it would be greatly appreciated. I am so glad to have stumbled across this site today.
Thanks E

blue

Re: Moving from VA to GA, need advice

Postby blue » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:30 pm

What city in VA are you moving from?

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:12 pm

Update,
I am moving from manassas, va to savannah, ga. I had the three companies come out yesterday, and all have given estimates based on 3000 lbs. Kloke the united agent, gave me the best impression and also the smallest binding esitmate at $1700. The other 2 companies where about $2100 each. So i am leaning towards the united carrier, any opinions on them would be great. Also the destination agent is A.C. White Moving Systems Inc. any opinons on them would be appreciated as well.
Thanks
E

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:38 pm

If you do a search on Kloke, you'll see that someone posting here as BigLee spoke well of the company. As for A.C. White Moving, the owner of the company (Archie White) started his very own thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1117
Although he was eventually booted off the board for being politically incorrect, I liked most of his posts and I've heard from moving professionals posting here that his company is a good one to deal with. I vote for going with Kloke.

Daisy1229

Postby Daisy1229 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:00 pm

Hello!
I'm sure you have probably moved by now, but I highly recommend NOT going with Kloke - they give the best impression, but the worst service! I moved in October and I"m still battling with them for reimbursement of furniture that needs to cleaned from damages.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:32 pm

Daisy, please post all the facts such as how your furniture got damaged, the amount of valuation coverage you had, how much money you are asking for, how the company responded, etc., so that we can have a better picture. This will help others.

Daisy1229

Postby Daisy1229 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:53 pm

Sure thing, Diane. It is a long story, but I'll attempt for an abridged version. I hired Kloke to move me from one location in Arlington, VA to another location in Arlington, VA only about 5 minutes away based on a recommendation from the Mayflower group in Connecticut (I cannot remember their name at the moment). Kloke comes to my apartment and estimates that it will take about 4 hours to move all my stuff - I also ordered a mattress box and crate for a large glass table I have. They specifically confirmed that I will do all the packing.

The two guys showed up an hour and a half late after I had asked them to be there as close to 8 AM as possible so I could be ready to catch a flight home to CT for my grandmother's funeral. They came in and were prepared to pack my apartment! It took them 7 hours to move my stuff 5 minutes down the road!!! I was sooo livid! They took their time and because of that I nearly missed signing my lease at the new building!! They never used the mattress box because there were big black scuff marks all over the mattress. My couch was filthy with dirt and black marks on it and therefore I can assume had never been wrapped. The leg of my bookshelf was broken, and my TV stand and nightstand had black marks on them and knicks in wood. The two guys told me about the bookshelf and my boyfriend about the bed.

I did not have time to inspect the rest of the furniture because I was rushing to get to the leasing office before closing time. When I finally got back upstairs and they had left I noticed all the damages. They did not offer to reimburse anything at that time when we called the next day. All they did was send a claim form.

I filed a claim form and they sent a furniture repair man from Baltimore to come fix the furniture and evaluate the damages - he was very nice and did a great job. I asked for cleaning reimbursement for my mattress and sofa and reimbursement for the mattress box (totaling $250). Beth Kloke, the President, never followed up with me after the repair man came. So, a few weeks later I inquired about the refund. She said a check was sent on December 10. It is now January 5 and I still do not have the check. I have had to call her every week since the 10th to find out if it was sent to the wrong address, etc. etc. She insists it was sent to the correct address. Today I asked her for a stop payment and a new check. She said she was going to fax me a copy of the check she originally sent and that I would be charged $32 for a stop payment! I told her that it is not my responsibility to pay a stop payment fee for a check that was issued and lost by someone else (if it was ever even issued).

This all took place about 3-4 hours ago and I still have not received a fax of the check nor a reply about the stop payment. They have to be THE WORST company I have ever dealt with - PLEASE DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR BUSINESS! They have no customer service skills and their movers are careless and irresponsible. If anyone has a suggestion for how I can go about getting my reimbursement from them I would much appreciate it.

Hope this helps!

ces

Postby ces » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:19 pm

Kloke is a nightmare; avoid them at all costs. They were the military contractors for a move in 2003 from Roanoke, VA to Virginia Beach, VA (so unfortunately I had no say in whether I wanted them or not) and the loaders were rude, telling me that I shouldn't expect one of my pieces of antique furniture to make it in one piece (?!). Furniture was not adequately padded and the small amount of stuff that I had not already packed myself was improperly packed by them, keeping in mind that this was supposed to be a full service pack and move and they acted as if it were my fault that they did not arrive until almost 6PM to start the job. I saw everything go into one truck and by the end of the next week, the shipment had been mysteriously split up. Half of my shipment made it to storage and then to me, but the other half was nowhere in sight.

The Navy's Household Goods office had no idea where the other half was because it had never arrived at the designated storage site. After I made numerous calls to Kloke, they told me that they did not know where my stuff was and the attitude I received was that they didn't care to find it. Fortunately, the staffers at Household Goods eventually tracked my stuff to El Paso, TX and after 3 months of waiting, I finally got the rest of the original shipment. Sadly, I did have a footboard arrive in multiple pieces and splinters, but I can't be sure if it was damaged en route to Texas or on the way back to Virginia. Either way, Kloke lost my belongings, so I hold them accountable.

The whole experience has made me wary of how well the government screens the movers that they contract for military moves.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:29 pm

Did you ever say anything to the Navy afterwards?

Return to “Open Community”