JD Carton-quote/insurance question

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ljb1

JD Carton-quote/insurance question

Postby ljb1 » Wed May 31, 2006 11:38 am

Hi, I'm inclined to use JD Carton in Parsippany for an in-state 60 mile move. They have quoted me based on 11,000 pounds at a two day, 4 man move with one large truck and potentially one smaller "overflow" truck which I pay for if I use and do not if I don't. The quote is at 180/hr. for 16 hours. They also state we should crate our plasma tv's and any glass/marble tops and the crating co. will cover any loss. What is your opinion on crating? Should we take insurance beyond basic mover's liability? Also, does it save significant money to rent a small truck yourself to move boxes and just have a mover handle large items? If anyone has experience with this company or can let me know thoughts on my questions, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance-

PMueller

Re: JD Carton-quote/insurance question

Postby PMueller » Wed May 31, 2006 4:35 pm

Crating of the plasma tv is a definate. Depending on the size of marbletops, based on the distance you are moving may not be required, but for peace of mind I would recommend. Especially if there is any age to the tops.

I have no knowledge of the service from JD. Someone else may post shortly with information.

If you don't take full value vs. basic liability, all items are settled at .60 per pound, per article to include any crated items. If you are going the expense of crating, definately go the expense of full value. Confirm what the basic liability is, I read where someone else had .30 per pound, per article for a local move.

The only way you will have a significant savings on renting truck and moving boxes would be if you have a ton of them. The movers will stack those boxes and dolly them out the door, up the ramp and stack them in the truck. This is the easiest of all moving, someone who has just been hired and completed necessary training can perform this part of the task with pride. The loader inside the truck will be taking the boxes and puzzling them into their respective locations of his load.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed May 31, 2006 10:40 pm

Bad remarks about JD Carton here - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8412
I would not be inclined to use a company that had been fined like this.

There are plenty of good movers in your area. Go to the summary post linked to below and scroll down to "New Jersey" to see some with good reviews for local moves.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:13 am

That link does not say anything bad about JD Carton--I'm confused. Please let me know if there is something bad on them if you see this. Thanks,

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:23 am

Sorry - I posted the wrong link. Here is the correct one - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6281 (last post) You can do a search on "JD Carton" in quotation marks to see other threads mentioning them.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:39 am

I looked up at safersys.org and there's no record of that. Perhaps Allied had lapsed as someone mentioned, but it seems up to date now.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:42 am

If I were you I would send a PM to Tim Walker about this since he was the one who first raised some concerns, and also call the FMCSA to ask about it. I am worried about this company. It is highly unusual for a company to be fined like this. It wouldn't have had anything to do with Allied Van Lines.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:16 am

Thanks for your help. I know some people who used JD Carton and thought they were wonderful---very courteous, on time both days, etc. I think this is a great forum and really there is no negative news on them as far as service/scams, etc.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:52 am

That's good to hear - I am just being super cautious because of what that other person posted on the above thread after talking with the FMCSA. In this kind of situation I would rather be too cautious than too trusting and then have something bad happen to you. Another person to ask about them would be "PMueller" since she works for Allied and can look up their internal quality scores from the van line. You can click on the "pm" button under her post above to send her a Private Message. You have to be signed up for membership here to do this. - I will also add that since yours is a local move you have much more protection than if you were moving interstate as the other person was doing.

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:46 pm

An overall look at the quality of JD Carton in the Allied system has them performing as "Very Good" for the past 12 months. Their strongest score was with the drivers who performed in the "Excellent" category at a 4.61.

Overall agency score is 4.36

Allied grading scale:
1.00-4.04 Needs Improvement
4.05-4.29 Meets Standards
4.30-4.39 Very Good
4.40-5.00 Excellent

Allied does not keep scores on the agency's performance as a local or intrastate provider.

janny

Postby janny » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:47 pm

I was the interstate mover to whom Diane is referring in the above-mentioned link. I posted an update in the thread she references above. Good experience, overall, I am happy to report. :)

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:51 pm

I now feel much more confident that JD Carton is reputable, having seen its good quality scores and having read "janny's" update on her move to NC here - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 1008#61008

Return to “Open Community”