Auto Transport Reviews (see p. 31 for companies we endorse)

View reviews of moving companies that our visitors have used, and came back to tell us about it.
Minnz21

Re: Auto Transporters

Postby Minnz21 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:17 am

I just used DAS for a Orlando to Albuquerque move. The car arrived one day early and was in the same condition as when I gave it to DAS. They did a great job and would use them again.

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:42 am

My wife and I recently made a move from Los Angeles to Chicago, and thanks to this site we were able to avoid the problems we had when we made the opposite move four years earlier.

First of all we decided to use Penske and drive our belongings. The Penske truck was brand new and they were super efficient to work with. Absolutely no hassels.

We used moving help from e-move.com to help us load and unload at each end. Again, execution was flawless. Everybody was on time and did a great job.

Then we had to ship my wife's car. I got a few quotes from shippers and they were all in the same ball park, but I noticed that a couple of the sites must have been operated by the same company. The language inside the sites was verbatim.

We decided to go with DAS. I felt a little better that they had their own trucks and employees. I wasn't there when the car was picked up, but I can attest that they used their own truck to deliver the car to my door. We paid extra for the door to door service, and it was worth it. The car arrived today, June 6. It had been estimated to arrive June 14! Not only that, their communication was great. They called the day before pick-up to confirm a 2 hour window, and the day before drop off to also confirm a two hour window. Again, all of this happened flawlessly and the car was in great shape, just a little dusty.

So, all in all we had literally a flawless move. Every single piece of the puzzle fell into its place at exactly the right time, from the truck rental, labor from e-move.com, and then the car shipping from DAS.

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:24 pm

Anonymous wrote:Is it better to have your car shipped in an enclosed carrier as oppose to a regular carrier?

Thanks Transport Executives for responding to my earlier post.

With all the information available on this site, I still can't come to a decision on which carrier i should go with. Can anyone offer suggestions as to which carrier i should go with to have my car shipped from Chicago to San Francisco. After evaluating each car moving company as listed on this forum, i'm still far from making a definitive choice, since there are so many mixed reviews. Is there an obvious choice?

If anybody can offer any help, that'd be much appreciated.

Thanks.

FL To NY

Postby FL To NY » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:26 pm

Does anyone have any experience with Mountainside Auto Transport?

Their quote is very competittive. I checked them out on BBB and at howwerate.com and they seem legit - am I missing something?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:45 am

Mountainside with MC #413122 is a broker in AZ that used to haul cars but hasn't done that since 2001. Its broker's authority dates only from October 2004. Although many scam auto transporters are located in AZ, its BBB report looks OK. With all companies that are brokers and don't haul the cars themselves, you could run into delivery delays. If a price is much lower than others, there is usually a reason for it, so I consider it somewhat risky to use the company but I would not classify it as a scammer or anything like that. There is a company in FL called Ron Bailey Auto Transporter at 800-637-6969 that has a good review here that might be a better choice. Or, what about using the Auto Train (Amtrak)?

Re-posting a good review of Tn'T by "DebbieM" for moving a car from Huntsville, AL, to San Diego:
DebbieM wrote:9/24/05 - To handle shipping my car, I got quotes from Intercity and TnT. Although I am sure that Intercity would provide wonderful service, their price was a bit out of my range. I ended up communicating with Regina at TnT several times via email and phone about options with my car. Based on recommendations from this site, I avoided their Chicago Express service and decided that a Terminal-to-Terminal move would be best. Although San Diego has a terminal, the closest terminal to my origin city is 1.5 hours away in Birmingham, Alabama. Although driving my car to a terminal 1.5 hours away will be inconvenient, I figure that it will reduce the chance of my car being damaged. It is also more cost-effective. TnT's price for moving my car from Birmingham to San Diego is $1,132. My car should arrive within 16 days of dropping it off at the Birmingham terminal. In the event that they exceed that date for some reason, they will provide me with an Enterprise rental car until my car arrives. Based on recommendations from this site, I am going to temporarily change the deductible on my auto insurance to $0 and avoid any extra insurance. . . .

6/6/06 - I ended up shipping my car via TnT in a Terminal-to-Terminal move from Birmingham, Alabama to San Diego, CA. I dropped the car off in Birmingham on Tuesday, 10/4/05. The lady who helped me at the drop-off point was a bit rude but, other than that, everything went well. One thing I wish they had told me prior to showing up though is that the car inspection goes easier if your car has been recently washed. Oh well.

I was given a guarantee that my car would be delivered no later than 10/20/05. They ended up beating that date by quite a bit, as I was able to pick my car up on 10/11/05. The terminal at San Diego was nicer than the one in Birmingham, and I had no problems retrieving my car. I had my car checked out and there were no signs of damage.

Again, I was very pleased with TnT and would recommend them to others. I really liked the fact that TnT backed up their delivery date promise with a rental car guarantee. - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6075

FL to NY

Postby FL to NY » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:57 am

Diane,

Thank you.

I did get a quote from Tn'T and it was really expensive - almost as expensive as transporting the car in a closed carrier! I had thought about the train, but I don't have anyone tol drive the car to the drop off site.

I called the other company suggested and they gave me a good quote. I think I will go with them - beside the good price, they own the trucks.

Many thanks again to all who submit comments.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:00 am

FL to NY wrote:I called the other company suggested and they gave me a good quote. I think I will go with them - beside the good price, they own the trucks. Many thanks again to all who submit comments.

You're very welcome. I am confused - what "other company suggested" do you mean? Are you talking about DAS or Ron Bailey? If the latter, I didn't know that it had its own trucks.

FL to NY

Postby FL to NY » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:48 am

Ron Bailey.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:00 pm

Thanks . . . yes, looking up Ron Bailey Auto Broker, Inc. on safersys.org (MC #183424) I see that it does list 7 trucks and 7 drivers. Because of the name I thought it was just a broker. I will feel even more confident about mentioning it to people if it does some hauling with its own trucks. For people reading this, its phone number is 561-686-3001.

atl2san

Postby atl2san » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:24 am

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to ship my car from Atlanta to San Diego. I was going to use American Auto Pride and then I didscovered that they are scams. Which led me to this board. This board has been so helpful. I got a decent quote from DAS but after reading the comments here, I'm not sure I want to use them. I called Tn'T and even though they sounded good, they were too expensive.

I called Coast to Coast and they referred me to Golden Key Express.. Has anyone used this company before? Apparently they operate the routes C2C doesn't and vice versa. The owner sounded nice and answered my questions but it sounded like a small business. The BBB gave them a satisfactory rating but I can't find much info otherwise.

If anyone has used them, what did you think.? Also, what kind of information should I be requesting from these companies as far as making sure my car is protected from damage, etc.

Thank you.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:21 pm

Hi - I did a quick check on Golden Key Express on www.safersys.org. This is some of their info:
Legal name: White Marketing, Inc.
Phone: 559-299-7288
Mailing Address: 7234 N. Traverse, Clovis, CA 93611
USDOT Number: 966726
MC Number: 240695
They are showing 3 trucks and Contract Authority for a number of years, which is good. They do not have broker's authority so should not be brokering out your move but transporting your auto on their own car carrier. Ask them about this. Also ask how they would handle a damage claim. Some people have reduced their regular comprehensive coverage to zero deductible for the duration of the move.

All I can say is that when I spoke with Ben Deere at Coast to Coast I asked whether he could recommend any company servicing CA and he was reluctant to do so at that time, saying that he couldn't guarantee quality. If he is now willing to recommend this company, I would say that you could trust his recommendation.

Transport Executives

Postby Transport Executives » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:58 pm

Hello atl2san,

Southeast to Southwest (i.e. Atlanta to San Diego) is an extremely popular trucking route and you should have no problem finding a quality carrier (or broker) to transport your vehicle at a "decent" price and in a very timely manner. Of course, "decent" may mean different things to different people, but we have cars shipped regularly along this route for anywhere between $1095 and $1195. If you have a sedan or small SUV this rate should work for you.

Good luck,

Michael

atl2san

Postby atl2san » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:27 pm

Thanks Diane,

I got the recommendation from a woman at C2C. I later called back and asked to speak with Ben directly - just in case the girl was shady . Ben gave me the same recommendation - so I think that's who I'll use. I might be able to have my car picked up on the 22nd and he said it could be delivered by the 30th. Harold, the owner, sounded pleasant enough and answered my questions. But from his responses, you could tell it was a smaller operation. He also drives some of the trucks.

Hopefully, all goes well, and I'll be back to post my experience, regardless of which company I use.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:30 pm

I thought you guys said that Coast to Coast does not service California? I just went on their website, and evidently they do service California. Perhaps, this is a different Coast to Coast auto shipper?

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:32 pm

Their website says that they do, but they don't service CA or any of the southwestern states. I don't know why they don't change their website.

Return to “Reviews of Companies Endorsed by MovingScam”