NYC to Midwest

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
mooving

NYC to Midwest

Postby mooving » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:56 pm

We're moving from NYC to WI at the end of June, reimbursed by our employer. Their 3 contracted companies in Wisconsin (Graebel, United, and North American) work with different agents here (United works with Suthard Relocation in Suffern, NY and North American works with Despatch). I got quotes from Suthard/United for 7200 and NA (phone estimate) for $8500. I also had Moving Man (Wheaton) and FlatRate give estimates, which were $5500 and $5700 respectively. With Moving Man, they'd move our stuff to their storage facility for several months and then have Wheaton transport it. I'm stuck about which company to go with. I know Moving Man has gotten good reviews for local moves, but what about Wheaton for long-distance moves? Anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.

Diane

Re: NYC to Midwest

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:57 pm

Someone moving from NYC to CA with storage in NYC sent me a Private Message about his move with Moving Man and Wheaton. I will copy it and send it to you as a PM since I don't know whether he wanted the whole thing posted publicly. Briefly, he was quite unhappy with various aspects of the move, especially the Wheaton driver. He had chosen Moving Man because of a personal connection with the owner.

Graebel has a good reputation for its performance on corporate moves (moves paid for by an employer). I would tend to stay away from Despatch, based on what people have told me. I don't know anything about Sutherd.

You should make a decision soon since the end of June is almost upon us. Is there some reason you are storing your things in NYC rather than in WI? Most industry people would recommend doing the latter.

Another good company that might possibly be interested in doing your move on a return trip from the NYC area is Prager (North American) in Naperville, IL. It would probably base its quote on the Sutherd estimate and store your things in its IL warehouse. Prager is a desirable company since it self-hauls 98% of its shipments using its own trucks and drivers, so there is less risk of damage and delay.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:25 pm

Thanks so much for your reply. The only company that recommended storing our things in NY were Moving Man and Flat Rate. All of the other companies quoted us for storage in Wisconsin (the quotes were quite a bit higher than for the first two). Graebel isn't able to come out to do an estimate until Monday, June 12, which made me worried that there wouldn't be any time left to book after they got their estimate in. It sounds like I'd best avoid Moving Man, however, from the bad experience conveyed by the individual in the private message. And my concerns about FlatRate are several, including the fact that I'd have to purchase moving insurance through movinginsurance.com. I'll give Prager a call and perhaps call Graebel to see if they know if they still have any openings for the end of June. Personally, I'd be just as happy packing up all of our things and renting a self-haul truck after reading about many people's experiences, but my husband thinks otherwise. So we'll see what's still available. Thanks again for your advice!

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:36 pm

Generally you will get a good move if your employer has a special relationship or account with a specific moving company, and you say that yours has one with Graebel. So I would think that Graebel would try to do right by you. What I like about them is that they move shipments using their own trucks and drivers. "Michael" (works for Atlas in NC) posted this general comment about Graebel as a whole--no specific agent:
I will say, in my opinion of course, having worked for Graebel for 5 years, if your a National Account (company has a contract with the agent and the company is paying for it) you will probably have a good to great move. If your a COD (paying for the move yourself) you will probably have a poor to good move. - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 2298#22298

Another idea, between renting a truck and hiring a full-service mover, would be to go with Broadway Express. There are more than 200 mostly rave reviews on a sticky at the top of the messageboard, and they can usually pick you up in NYC without using a shuttle. BE could either deliver your things into mini-storage in WI or possibly store them in its warehouse in southern IL until you need them.

Incidentally, someone just posted a good review of Prager - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8618

Return to “Open Community”