Home Express

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Texas Girl

Home Express

Postby Texas Girl » Thu May 25, 2006 6:29 am

Has anyone ever heard of Home Express. American Airlines offers AAdvantage miles for moving through their partner Cendant Mobility. They in turn referred me to Home Express which is a moving company referral service. They are supposed to have pre-screened movers.

MusicMom

Re: Home Express

Postby MusicMom » Thu May 25, 2006 9:19 am

Ehhh, just do the work yourself. There's no guarantees what kind of screening process they have.

Click on the link at the top left of this page, with the 8) .

macd

Postby macd » Fri May 26, 2006 10:12 am

I checked out this program too. It didn't seem worth it to me to give up my choice of movers for a couple thousand airline miles. The addition of two middle-men would likely mean a higher price anyways. I'm paying for my move with an award credit card, so I'll get some miles that way.

Texas Girl

Postby Texas Girl » Sat May 27, 2006 6:34 am

I have lost faith in the Home Express option. The representative I talked to said she would have a moving company call me within 48 hours. It has been four days, and I have received no call.

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Sat May 27, 2006 7:08 am

Texas Girl you can receive as high or mostly higher of a discount by calling the major carriers yourself and scheduling in home estimates. If you have a credidt card that provides reward miles or points you can pay with it and still reap the rewards without having to go through the middle man who is charging something for their services. They are not doing it for free, you can count on that. "macd" post is correct.

Texas Girl

Postby Texas Girl » Sun May 28, 2006 6:40 am

I live in Beaumont, TX, (100 miles east of Houston) and moving to Frisco, TX, which is a northern suburb of Dallas. Can you pay for an in-state move with a credit card? Some information I have seen indicates that you cannot. I would love to double dip--get credit card miles and miles from the referral service.

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Sun May 28, 2006 8:41 am

I believe in most cases if you are using an agent for United, Allied, Atlas, North American, etc. then you should be able to pay for an Intrastate (in state) move by credit card. We offer our clients this payment method in FL.

I'm not too sure about service in Beaumont. If I'm not mistaken this is kind of a difficult area to locate agents. I think Allied has an office in Beaumont (Texas Storage Co.) my Allied system is down right now for the weekly maintenance so I can't confirm this. You might want to branch out in your phone book or directory to the next largest town to you, hopefully one within 50-75 miles so that you can receive in home estimates from the offices of your choice.

When calling and inquiring about an estimate, ask what your payment options are with the company, express that you wish to utilize a credit card for payment of services but do not give anyone a deposit or information until you have decided who you are moving with! Quite often when paying by credit card you will need to supply your credit card number and complete a credit card authorization form, but confirm this is not being charged until your move. My office collects this information before hand, but would not charge the account until load day.

Best of luck, post what estimates you receive and any other concerns that you may have after speaking with some movers. Individuals here will be happy to provide any information they can for you.

Texas Girl

Postby Texas Girl » Sun May 28, 2006 2:20 pm

You are right. I am having a difficult time getting estimates here in Beaumont. Most of the major carriers have pulled out of this area. There is still an Allied franchise here, but a friend had a bad experience with them. I have contacted two Allied agents in Houston. They tell me Beaumont is in their area but their estimators have not called back. Houston is 100 miles from Beaumont. There are no cities larger than Beaumont except Houston within 100 miles.

Wald Mayflower in Houston has given me a mixed response. Back in January I talked to an estimator and got a ball park figure. He said they would come to Beaumont to make an estimate. I sent an email to them and someone wrote back and said they would come to Beaumont for an estimate only if I guaranteed them I was going to move with them. I then called directly to the estimator. He reassured me that he would personally come to Beaumont and require no guarantees. He gave me the number of his direct phone line.

This is why the pre-screened pitch from Home Express was appealing. They must be having trouble locating someone to service Beaumont since I have received no calls. I am not moving until late August - early September. There is time, but I would like to get things settled.

My previous moves had been paid for my employer. Wald Mayflower moved me back in the 1980's. They were first class. I am hoping they will come through for me again. I have a three bedroom home, require packing and appliance servicing. I am a senior citizen and view this as my final move. I want everything to go smoothly.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun May 28, 2006 8:38 pm

If you're not moving until late August/early September, this could be why you haven't received any calls. Most estimates are only good for 30-60 days, after which they must be recalculated to figure in changing discounts, fuel surcharges, etc. And right now is the businest time of the year to move, they probably just wrote you onto the calendar to contact in July. I'd say to let it be until then, when things slow a tiny bit, and call the same movers again.

But I still think the pre-screend program is no guarantee that only good movers will contact you. You have no idea of what their "screening process" entails.

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Sun May 28, 2006 8:49 pm

Continue your calling to the Houston market, I know things are extremely busy right now for agents everywhere and since you are not moving until August, you are not at the top of the priority list. This does not mean that you are not important - but there are too many people needing service by June 15th at the present time.

MusicMom is correct about Home Express, they will be facing the same difficulty for your area in TX. Not to mention, there are no guarantees as to whom they will find to service your area either.

I know you want to get things moving, and trust me it is nice to hear of someone planning in advance, but I'd say continue to do some research on companies you are thinking about considering at this point and then begin to call agents middle of June to get an estimate scheduled by the end of June or beginning of July so that you may do your comparisons and choose your provider.

Continue your contact with the Wald Mayflower rep, it sounds as if he wants to work with you and needs to schedule a time when he can make the drive from Houston. It sounds like you had good service from them as a corporate transferee, remind them you were a previous client and would like to use them again if their quality has remained the same.

Texas Girl

Postby Texas Girl » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:57 am

Thanks to all who replied. I am a born worryier. I am having a house built in Frisco. I am living for the day I leave the Gulf Coast. The day I evacuated because of Hurricane Rita is the day I decided I was going to move.

It has been more than two weeks since I contacted Home Express. They had said a mover would contact me within 48 hours. I received no calls. Today I called Home Express back. The woman said she would have the moving company call me immediately. Shortly thereafter I received a call from Joyce Van Lines located in the Dallas area. I had never heard of them. The lady said they would use Burris here in Beaumont to do a survey and then get to me with an estimate. If I go with them they will send their own packers. I am under no obligation. I said go ahead and let them do the survey.

I searched this forum for Joyce Van Lines and found a favorable comment. I called the Texas DOT. They have no complaints. I could find no report from the Better Business Bureau. I did find one very unfavorable report on them on complaints.com.

I am still calling the big van line affiliates in Houston with mixed responses. I have contacted Daryl Flood, an Allied Van Lines agent. They said they might bid out the packing to the local Allied agent. I also contacted Westheimer Transfer. They are an Allied agent who moved me to Beaumont from Houston in 1987 on a corporate move. They said they normally did not come to Beaumont but since I had moved with them before they would consider it. I then called Armstrong Relocation, an United Van Lines agent. They said they would come to Beaumont, and I am waiting for an estimator to call me. I am going to wait until I get a firmer date on the closing on my new house before I call Wald Mayflower back. I am still pinning my hopes on them.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:19 pm

Hi - I always thought Joyce Van Lines was good but there are actually two separate complaints on www.complaints.com about their casual workers stealing jewelry during the packing process. One incident was in Frisco, TX. It seems to me that you should at least bring this up with the Joyce rep.

Texas Girl

Postby Texas Girl » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:27 pm

Diane,

Yes, I saw the second complaint regarding the theft at Frisco. I just had a telephone call from a company called Management Moving. This lady said she was a coordinator. I am not absolutely certain of the company name. Joyce Van Lines had contacted her to arrange for an on site survey. They are going to have a man from Aero Mayflower in Lake Charles perform the survey. That planted the idea in my mind that I should check out movers in Lake Charles. I do not know if it would be a good idea to get a company from Louisiana. Texas DOT appears to have a system in place to field complaints.

Next week I am going to Frisco and will get a firmer date for the completion of my house. After I have that information, I will start my calls to Houston again.

EastCoastMover

Postby EastCoastMover » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:06 pm

texas girl,there is a national vanlines agent in beaumont called a-ok moving and storage and his son is a friend of mine who also drives for national..im not recommending them of course just giving you an option..i took the liberty of calling him and he assured me they can help you if need be.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:17 pm

Texas Girl, take ECM up on his suggestion to call his friend at A-OK Moving. He has many years of experience in the moving business and won't steer you wrong. It's always good to have a personal connection with a mover.

Return to “Open Community”