Atlanta-based movers

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Jazzy_girl

Atlanta-based movers

Postby Jazzy_girl » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:42 pm

I’m getting ready to move from the Atlanta area to the West Coast. I’ve done quite a bit of research on movers in the Atlanta area and have come up with six that look good. Does anyone have personal experience (good or bad) with any of the following movers? I've tried searching the forums and haven't had much luck.

Berger Atlanta (agent for Allied)
Covan World-Wide Moving, Inc (also an agent for Allied)
All My Sons Moving and Storage
Bulldog Movers
Armstrong Relocation (agent for United Van Lines)
Suddath United Van Lines

Thank you!
Jasmine

PMueller

Re: Atlanta-based movers

Postby PMueller » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:30 am

I work for an Allied agent in FL so my opinion may be slightly biased!

For what it's worth the Berger/Atlanta facility is a good provider, Berger is considered one of Allied's largest agencies as they have many offices throughout the United States and have a large hauling fleet that performs most of their own hauling.

Suddath/United and Armstrong/United are both strongholds with the United system as well. Both agencies have multiple locations and provide good quality.

Covan: I thought they were only part of Allied if they were Coleman-American. They have grown significantly within the Allied system the last few years but it is my understanding that the Covan facilities are not part of Allied. They do have a Coleman-American facility in Atlanta though, so this may just be something that was misinterpreted. They have been known for their excellent service to the military/government transferees but are showing themselves as a strong contender for private transferees also.

I'm not familiar with the others you mentioned. I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to provide their two cents worth also!

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:32 am

One additional comment, going the distance you are moving - I do recommend the use of a national carrier vs. an independent. I don't know anything about All My Sons - but for some reason the name strikes a nerve - as I believe to have heard something negative - I can't be for sure. Have they all performed in home estimates? Have they all provided DOT and MC numbers on their estimates?

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:20 pm

I second what Pam just said.

We have a very good review of a move from Atlanta to Nashville with Suddath:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2975
Note that this was a corporate account move (paid for by the person's employer) and sometimes such moves go better than "COD" moves paid for by customers. However, Suddath has a good reputation overall. Try to use a company that will move you in its own truck rather than transferring your goods into a truck driven by a van line driver.

"Snazz" got quotes from both Atlantic Relocation (a large Atlas agent) and Armstrong for a move to Tucson, but never came back to tell us what happened:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3820
Since he/she is a registered member here, you could send a PM to ask about it.

Here's a thread where someone discusses Suddath, Armstrong, Freeman (NAVL), Berger, and a scammer or two (just for background): http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3548

From what I've read here, I would think that Armstrong and Suddath (both United) might be the strongest contenders in your case. Suddath has locations in CA as well as in Atlanta, a plus.

Jazzy_girl

Postby Jazzy_girl » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:20 pm

Thank you both for your help.

Yes, I have gotten the MC and DOT numbers for all the companies.

Pam, were you saying that Covan or Coleman-American is known for excellent service?

In looking through one of the links that Diane sent, (http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3548), I read that AC White is a commendable Mayflower agent in the area. Now I'm confused. I looked them up on Safersys (DOT number 92851), and, for one of their MC numbers (138846), they don't have the proper insurance. So I had completely ruled them out. Am I just confused? I'm not sure why they would have two MC codes.

Thanks again!
Jasmine

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:25 pm

I don't know why A.C White has two MC numbers either, but as long as they have proper insurance under at least one such number they are OK. The company is long-established and highly respected.

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:46 pm

Covan & Coleman-American has previously been more known for excellent service with military shipments, but as stated earlier they are doing more "COD" private moves and are doing a good job with them also. Covan is not an agent for Allied though, only Coleman-American to my knowledge. I know Covan boasts of 44 offices and last count Coleman American had 26 offices. (They just acquired 2 more locations in FL target date for those 2 additional offices is Sept., 2006 which will bring total location count to 28.)

AC White has been around for a while (just about ever since I can remember) and are good providers also. Diane,perhaps one of the MC numbers is an old one before they became part of UniGroup (the parent company that owns United & Mayflower). I really don't know why they would have two MC #'s, but as long as one of them has everything required you would be okay.

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:00 pm

From what I'm reading-SIZE DOES NOT EQUAL QUAILITY(just ask my wife),Look at this post and tell me if there's any mention of a quality end?"For what it's worth the Berger/Atlanta facility is a good provider, Berger is considered one of Allied's largest agencies as they have many offices throughout the United States and have a large hauling fleet that performs most of their own hauling."....
The Atlas agents are a problem(been exposed to them for 25 years) The united agent-depending on the crews-may be the best choice,the navl agents are to say it best.....CRACKHEADS.....

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:28 pm

No, size does not equal quality, but hauling fleet size means more possibilities of direct handled shipments.

I can only provide customer survey quality rankings on the Allied facilities, I'm sure each carrier has a way of providing individual rankings and this is a question worth asking the representative that comes into the home for the in-home estimate.

Allied grading scale:
1.00-4.04 Needs Improvement
4.05-4.29 Meets Standards
4.30-4.39 Very Good
4.40-5.00 Excellent

Coleman-American (Atlanta Area Only) 4.32 with 74 surveys
Berger (Atlanta Area Only) 4.37 with 210 surveys

The above scores was from information during the time frame of 02/2005 yo 02/2006. The scores are received from the customer answering questions in categories to include, the sales rep and estimate process, the packers, the loaders, the driver, the delivery crew, communication with office and driver, claims process (if there was damage). Allied breaks all information down on each shipment and applies the score from the customer to the individual office that supplied the service to reach the cummalative scores at each location.

Lizard1

Recent Interview Experiences

Postby Lizard1 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:52 pm

Am moving from Atlanta to Midland, TX next month so I interviewed a few of the larger carriers this past week:

Berger/Allied - Nice gentleman. Arrived early and gave me a very reasonable quote. Had a good experience with Berger in TX.

Suddath/United - No complaints. Interestingly had a littel higher wieght approximation than Berger but the price was lower? Maybe Berger didn't give that big of a discount percentage(not indicated on their estimate)?

Now it get's hairy!
AC White/Mayflower - Wouldn't give me an estimate after he inspected my house & belongings. Wanted to think about it and was interested in what other companies I had solicited bids from. He then started to tell me NEVER take the lowest bid as they are usually trying to pull a fast one. I agreed to an extent. He then faxes my estimate to me today(3 days later) and it's about 35% higher than my previous bids.

Armstrong/United - Guy called me at 1pm to confirm our 3pm appt. I told him that I was glad that he called in that when I made the appt, I told the lady that I could not get home until 3:30pm that day but the latest she could schedule was 3pm and that she would have the rep call me to set up the "unofficial" time. So I ask if 3:30pm is OK and he says not really but he'd "work late" for my business. Feeling bad for him, I say I can make it home by 3:15pm to help him out and he responds with, "3:15, no later right?" I say sure. Of course, I have to pass off a patient to a colleague and owe him one now so I can get home for this mover. I literally pull in my garage at 3:15pm on the dot and am surprised that nobody is out front waiting. I wait 5 min and call the guy on his cell but it eventually goes to VM so I leave him a msg stating that I've been home for 5 min and am ready whenever he is. I then check caller ID to see if he called and notice a call from him @ 3:04pm but no message was left. I wait until finally 3:45pm and call his office where the lady I originally spoke to told me that he's been waiting for me at my house and just left so she'd try and reach him. Of course she can't reach him either but left a msg. I confirmed the address with her and she wants to reschedule to which I politely said no. I never heard from that guy. I'm glad i didn't possibly move with them as I can imagine what kind of an operation they run by this example. DON'T USE ARMSTRONG IN ATLANTA!

Last but not least :)
A-1 Freeman/NAVL - Kinda of a sketchy dude comes over and he's really digging through my house, telling me how he's a band mgr but does this as well. He starts saying how I've got approx 10,000 lbs of stuff. I say that all the others have guestimated between 8-8500 lbs. He writes that down then continues on. Around midnight that night, he faxes me a quote with the cover saying that he was able to save me $500 from what other companies are charging me. I look at the quote and realize that he must have thought the 8-8500 lbs was the price quote rather than the pounds. So he had suddenly increased my weight to 12,000 lbs and added all these other fees(shuttle!) that other companies didn't have. He then has the gall to ask me to keep what he's doing under wraps as he likes me and is "hooking me up" so much so that he could get in trouble with his boss. I'm thinking I hope the band thing works out for you!

In summary, Berger/Allied & Suddath/United good. A-1 Freeman/NAVL & Armstrong/United are embearassments to the industry.

Will be going with either Berger or Suddath and will be sure to report back on the quality of the move!

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:32 pm

Thanks for the information on the companies you requested estimates from. I have to agree with you on the two you have eliminated, I would have done the same if I was a consumer interviewing companies for handling my shipment.

Both Berger/Allied and Suddath/United have large hauling fleets, I know Berger hauls 98% of their bookings especially when they have offices at both ends. I don't work for United, therefore Suddath may actually haul the same % of their shipments, I just don't know.

Either way, you should receive quality services. Please continue to post what you decide and why. By all means, come back after the move and advise on the entire relocation process.

Sounds like the Armstrong rep had a 4:00 tee time or something more interesting to do, huh?

I'm not even going to comment on the poor representation you received from A-1 Freeman. I do hope the band thing works out for him too! He's not doing anyone any favors by performing in this manner. I also hope the band he directs is able to perform under his direction!

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:32 pm

I've heard bad things about A-1 Freeman from people in the industry, but this is almost unbelievable.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:28 pm

I noticed that one of our old MovingScam movers from Atlanta wasn't mentioned as one of the movers...

AC White (anyone remember Archie White) is a dual Mayflower/United Agent out of Atlanta.
ICC# MC-2934 | US DOT# 125563

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Caly

Postby Caly » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:17 pm

So, whom did you decide on? How did the move go?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:21 am

That's the trouble. A large number of people never come back to tell us. Maybe we should refuse to dispense advice unless they sign up for membership here so at least we can try to track them down . . .

Return to “Open Community”