Better to sell it all?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
movingwhen

Better to sell it all?

Postby movingwhen » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:01 am

I am contemplating relocation to Nashville from the Twin Cities (MN) next year. After reading all of the posts here, as helpful as the site is, I'm now wondering if I should just sell everything I own and start over fresh rather than take my chances with long distance movers if I make the move. I am a single person and would have no one to help me do one of those "do it yourself pack and move" type of moves. (Friends always seem to come up with "bad backs" when it came to asking for help with moving :roll: ). 20 years ago I moved from CT to MN, had no furniture and my dad shipped me all my other stuff piecemeal for a year.

Anyone else in the same boat? Any advice/suggestions?

Diane

Re: Better to sell it all?

Postby Diane » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:19 am

Hi - you can do a self-move without lifting things yourself. People can go to companies like www.emove.com or www.LaborReady.com to find loading and unloading labor, and many, many people posting here have done this, as the ABF and Broadway Express reviews show. It's sort of like acting as your own contractor during a home remodeling. You shouldn't be afraid of doing this. If you go with BE the driver will be there to help supervise the workers and advise you how the truck should be loaded. Normal charges for such workers would be in the $20-$30/hour/worker range, depending on the area.

I would decide this partly by how valuable your things are to you and the cost of replacing them. If you have a very small number of items, you can use a company like Oversize Parcel Service to ship just those items and possibly send your books by USPS media rate mail. See this thread for a review: http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8369
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

movingwhen

Postby movingwhen » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:19 am

Diane wrote:I would decide this partly by how valuable your things are to you and the cost of replacing them. If you have a very small number of items, you can use a company like Oversize Parcel Service to ship just those items and possibly send your books by USPS media rate mail. See this thread for a review: http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8369

Now Diane, how could you have known I have a number of books? :)

I have a year to weigh my options on all this, so I appreciate all the info. I would have what would be considered a small move, since most of my furniture is junk and will need to be trashed or sold before I move.

A note on movers in the Twin Cities: I have used Bester Brothers twice for local moves and thought they did a terrific job. I also used Good Stuff Movers once and thought they were just okay.

(By the way, I would register but I am getting the red x where the confirmation code is.)

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:02 am

movingwhen wrote:Now Diane, how could you have known I have a number of books? :) . . . (By the way, I would register but I am getting the red x where the confirmation code is.)

Just psychic. :lol: No, we are getting large numbers of people coming to this site who are in the teaching, medical, and legal professions.

If you want to send Tim an email (tim @ movingscam.com) he will be able to tell you how to register.

I'll add mention of Bester Bros. Transfer & Storage, Inc. (MC #156715) in South St. Paul to my summary post on MN. Actually they are licensed to do interstate moves. I don't know whether you considered getting a quote from them for your move.

I'll also add your remarks on Good Stuff Moving (MC #461016) in Roseville. Good Stuff has many fewer trucks than Bester and has been licensed for interstate only since June 2003.

SusanF

Postby SusanF » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:14 am

Just commenting on whether to sell or move particular items. I have been selling stuff on eBay for nearly a year trying to whittle down, plus we did have one garage sale. We got rid of loads of books (including selling on Amazon) and LP's. We condensed CD's into big notebook type things, ditching all the plastic cases.

Concerning furniture, modern furniture made of engineered products like MDF and pressboard weighs a whole lot more than just plain wood. We are moving to our retirement home, which already has some furniture, so we are not taking our sofa and easy chairs. We are not taking our mattresses and springs (have a bed there already, but the ones here are shot anyway). We are not moving appliances either. They weigh a ton.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:18 pm

I always say if you are moving make 3 lists...

1. Things you cannot do without.

2. Things that have sentimental value.

3. Things that can be replaced cheaper than moving them.

Anything not on list 1 or 2, have a garage sale.

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”