Moving from Mass. to PA in July

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
debhar

Moving from Mass. to PA in July

Postby debhar » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:04 pm

Ok, I've spent a couple of hours on this site and I don't know what to do. My husband has been calling moving companies and every one he gets info from I reject. We need to be moved out of our house in Mass on July 19 and into our house in PA on July 21. Some companies say 8 to 15 days before we get our stuff. 2 companies said they would hold it on the truck for the 2 days but, one of those companies is mirit great american van lines out of NJ and their quote is only $2000.00 which I'm sure is way off. the other company is DN Van Lines in Mass. and they come in around 5600, but they will not come out to the house to do an estimate and the sales guy keeps saying he hopes everything will fit on the truck - doesn't give me a good feeling
Anybody have a recommendation?

Glad to Help

Re: Moving from Mass. to PA in July

Postby Glad to Help » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:35 pm

debhar wrote:Ok, I've spent a couple of hours on this site and I don't know what to do. My husband has been calling moving companies and every one he gets info from I reject. We need to be moved out of our house in Mass on July 19 and into our house in PA on July 21. Some companies say 8 to 15 days before we get our stuff. 2 companies said they would hold it on the truck for the 2 days but, one of those companies is mirit great american van lines out of NJ and their quote is only $2000.00 which I'm sure is way off. the other company is DN Van Lines in Mass. and they come in around 5600, but they will not come out to the house to do an estimate and the sales guy keeps saying he hopes everything will fit on the truck - doesn't give me a good feeling
Anybody have a recommendation?

8 to 15 days seems very excessive for a delivery window, considering your origin and destination being so close.

If you are in any of their service areas in Mass I would reccomend in this order:
1)Gentle Giant- http://www.gentlegiant.com/
2)Paul Taylor UVL - http://www.taylormoving.com/
3)Liberty Arpin -http://www.libertymovingandstorage.com/

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:46 pm

Rule out DN Van Lines. I agree with the above three recommendations except that I don't know anything about Liberty Arpin. (Not sure how this company compares in quality with Paul Young Arpin, which I believe is supposed to be good.)

If GG and Paul Taylor are too expensive you could use Broadway Express and get very fast delivery and save a bundle. To move 10 linear feet (about 4500 pounds), which is their minimum, BE would charge you around $1600. There are more than 200 mostly rave reviews on a sticky at the top of the messageboard.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:57 pm

Here's why to rule out DN Van Lines:

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4366

Incidentally, the ad in question still stands as posted. It has not been corrected.

boston-to-nyc

Moving from Mass. to NYC in July

Postby boston-to-nyc » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:36 am

Hi - I'm moving from Cambridge, MA to NYC (Queens) first week of July. At first I thought I'd use Gentle Giant, since all my friends rave about them. GG didn't do an in-home estimate, but rather had me do a detailed inventory and email it to them. It was hard for me to guess how many boxes of what size! Their estimate: 4,615 lbs. = $5,268.89 Yikes! They also required a deposit, which some folks on this board have advised against. I decided to look elsewhere. GG hasn't contacted me since.

I then called Humboldt (United Van Lines), who did an in-home estimate. 2279 lbs. + origin and destination shuttles = $2,541.37 non-binding. They are so busy now and I have only a one-bedroom apt., so they could pick up June 27-28 and take my stuff to their warehouse and then drive it out July 1 or so for delivery by July 7. July 7 is my absolute deadline; starting a new job. I felt insecure with this, so I kept looking. In the meantime, Humboldt contacted me to say they are now all booked up and I lost my chance with them to have my stuff by July 7. They recommended Rainbow Movers (whom I'd actually already scheduled for an estimate).

Rainbow Movers (Franklin, MA - North American Van Lines) told me over the phone before coming that NAVL had just instituted a weight minimum until Sept. 15th for trips under 500 miles (which includes me): 5000 lb. minimum for $3305.82. I said, come on over anyway - I have to move! I found the estimator (Jon McEnaney) very easy to deal with. He estimated 2788 lbs. and gave me a binding estimate of $3545.68, which includes packing my computer and my futon, dissassembling and reassembling my bed, the Cambridge parking permit, and the origin and destination shuttles. He also called his dispatcher from my apt. and told me they can pickup July 5 or 6 and deliver July 6 or 7. Whew! I'm going with them.

Hope this info is useful. This board is great!

- Flo

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:00 am

Great - please come back to report on your move to NYC with Rainbow so we can add to our reviews. As you may know from reading my summary post linked to below, two NAVL drivers have praised the company. I believe that Jon McEnaney may be one of the owners.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

boston-to-nyc

Successful move Boston to NYC, plus local NYC move

Postby boston-to-nyc » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:18 am

Yippee! I'm at my new home, and I'm happy to report that Rainbow Movers (Franklin, MA) was fantastic. Everything worked out great. Two guys at origin, two at destination. They picked up on 7/5 from Cambridge, MA and delivered on 7/6 to Queens, NYC. The apartment I moved out of was on the third floor with no elevator, and it was a hot day. The guys were very pleasant and professional. The driver called me on 7/6 to let me know that he'd run into a long line for refueling and would be an hour later than anticipated. I appreciated the communication, and felt very well taken care of. Everything arrived intact. One of my tables got slightly damaged when the mover was reassembling it at destination. No big deal. Everyone who has moved that table has had problems with it, and I should have glued it a long time ago. Not sure whether I'll file a claim.

The second part of my move was local. Moving Right Along (Queens, NYC; DOT# T10941 ICC# MC2425373) moved my furniture and boxes out of storage to my new apartment. They were great, too. Quick, cheerful, no problem. I would definitely recommend them.

Now to unpack!

- Flo

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:54 pm

Thanks so much for these reviews, Flo. I'll add them to my summary posts on "Massachusetts" and "New York City."
Diane

Return to “Open Community”