Moving NY to LA--Need HELP ASAP

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Esther

Moving NY to LA--Need HELP ASAP

Postby Esther » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:30 am

Hi

I am planning a move to LA from Manhattan at the end of this month (June 30th). I had booked a moving company (TLC Moving, in the Bronx) but now after reading this website and comments am concerned they may not be legit, despite having a license, etc. (They gave me an estimate in CF, which I now found out is ILLEGAL!)
I was hoping to get some recommendations for this upcoming move ASAP, so that I can book another company.
Also, if anyone has heard of this company (TLC) I would be interr\ested to see what you think.

Thanks so much
Esther

NY GUY

Re: Moving NY to LA--Need HELP ASAP

Postby NY GUY » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:33 am

I have a few friends that have used DAHILL moving & storage for out of state moves...they all loved them...I think they're based out of Brooklyn. Good Luck!

Dr. Pepper

Postby Dr. Pepper » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:38 am

I WENT WITH WWW.BASICMOVING.COM FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE THAT THEY GAVE ME A FLATRATE(BINDING ESTIMATE OF COST).I WENT FROM NYC TO N.J WITH NO WORRIES.

THANKS

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:44 am

Esther,

Do not use TLC under any circumstances. You are moving on absolutely the busiest day of the year. Please be careful because this is the kind of situation where the scammers cheerfully step in with their false promises.

I doubt whether Dahill is available but you can give them a call at 718-439-1500 to see. They are good. Other suggestions would be to call ABF to see whether they can send a trailer to pick up your stuff, or start going through the moving companies listed on my summary post below to see which ones might be available. Click on the link below my name and scroll down to "New York City" and "New York (Long Island)." Do not use any with avoid or caution symbols in front of their names.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Esther

Postby Esther » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:27 pm

Thanks so much Diane.
I have called and am scheduled to get in house estimates from Certified Van Lines, Delancey Street Movers, and Hall Lane (United Van Lines)--so glad my friend told me about this website!
Esther

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:33 pm

Hi - glad the website was helpful. All the companies you mention should be OK, with Delancey and Hall-Lane being the most likely to haul you using their own truck and driver (desirable).

:arrow: People reading this, disregard the out-of-the-blue recommendation by "Dr. Pepper" above. Companies frequently come on here to recommend themselves. Very dangerous to believe them.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:21 pm

And with good reason, Diane. www.basicmoving.com is STATE TO STATE VAN LINES. I have to wonder if it is the same State to State Van Lines of FL that is complained about all over. They are hiding thier registrations and employees very well, although www.stsvanlines.com is registered through Adirnet of Davie, FL. Remember him? Most of his clients are in FL. And nothing against Adir, but unfortunately, his client list is a Who's-Who of bad movers.

Esther

Postby Esther » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:08 pm

Thanks for all the help. I was able to book Hall-Lane Van Lines to do the job, and am pretty optimistic about it. The estimator, Arthur, was a real gem.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:23 pm

Great! Please be sure to come back to report so we can build up our reviews of Long Island moving companies.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

CaliNyC

Postby CaliNyC » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:34 pm

Esther,
Please let me know what you ended up going with and how it was. I have to do the same move as you in mid July, NYC to LA. (I'm assuming you mean Los Angeles, and not Louisiana?)
Much appreciated.
Sam

Return to “Open Community”