Detroit to Raleigh move and several questions

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
dave_261

Detroit to Raleigh move and several questions

Postby dave_261 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:29 pm

We are moving from the Detroit area to Raleigh in late July, and I have several questions and need some estimate advice.

First, here's what we have so far. I contacted movers through 2 sources: AAA/Consumers Relocation, as well as our corporate mover (even though I am not moving for my company).

3 companies contacted me through AAA, and here are their results:

1. Bekins/Boyer Rosene: Not to exceed estimate for 12,900 lbs. of $4,960 w/o packing, and $7,200 with packing
2. United/Corrigan: Not to exceed estimate for 11,500 lbs. of $5,350 w/o packing and $7,540 with packing.
3. Atlas/Ace Worldwide- I received a couple voice mails after hours, and never could connect with them to get an in-home estimate (which is irritating, because nobody EVER seems to answer the phone number). I did finally reach them and gave them some of the weight info over the phone, and they did provide a phone estimate of $5,050 w/o packing and $7,500 with packing.

Through my company, I was referred to Collins Bros/Atlas, and after having to call them several times, they had Imlach come to my house. After 1 week, Collins still has not provided me with an estimate, despite 2 calls (and Imlach told me Collins had everything they'd need to give the estimate almost a week ago). Unless the price is right, there's no chance I'll use these guys since the service has been so poor.

Additionally, ABF U-Pack estimates about $1,800 to transport my goods, and I'm estimating about $800 on each end for loading and unloading via local "strongmen", for a total of about $3,600. I am a bit worried about the potential troubles of filing a claim if any goods get damaged, since 3 parties would be involved (ABF, local loading company, local unloading company).

So... any suggestions or advice? Any other local agents I might want to consider for an estimate?

Also, questions:
- Do any of these companies negotiate, especially if I have a lower-priced bid from a reputable company? How about just negotiating down the price of packing?
- With the Bekins bid, they estimated 1,400 lbs. more than United, with a lower cost. If they overestimated, I'm optimistic the final cost will come down since it's a not-to-exceed estimate. Does this really happen? Do companies actually give you the accurate final weight and lower the cost?

Thanks in advance.

Diane

Re: Detroit to Raleigh move and several questions

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:18 pm

First of all I would rule out both Boyer-Rosene and ABF. Boyer-Rosene has very bad comments here (see the summary post on "Illinois" linked to below) and if you're concerned about damage, ABF is not for you. Also, Bekins Van Lines has a terrible record of paying on claims.

I would rule out Atlas because of the service issues you describe. Others have been dissatisfied with the branch of Collins in the NYC area. Imlach and Collins are large companies that do a lot of commercial and national account moves and may be less focused on individual customers than some other companies.

Corrigan has excellent comments here and that's the one I would choose if I were going to use a full-service mover. I doubt whether you could negotiate the price downward but I guess it's worth a try. Reputable companies will indeed give you a credit if your weight is less than the estimate.

You could also use Broadway Express and save some money. The downside is that you can't get any insurance or valuation coverage for your things. However, the reviews show that nobody has had significant damage with BE. A few people have had scrapes on furniture (or breakage of a glass that they themselves packed) but otherwise, BE's drivers and the air-ride trailers which are identical to those used by full-service moving companies seem to protect people's items pretty well. BE would charge you $3566 to move 26 linear feet (about 11,500 pounds) from Detroit to Raleigh. Then you would want to hire the driver at $30/hour to help you load, as well as other workers. You could probably do the whole thing for under $4000 but you would have to decide whether the saving is worth the hassle.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:26 pm

Diane wrote:
Corrigan has excellent comments here and that's the one I would choose if I were going to use a full-service mover. I doubt whether you could negotiate the price downward but I guess it's worth a try. Reputable companies will indeed give you a credit if your weight is less than the estimate.

I did speak to the Corrigan rep, and he did indicate that while they do not negotiate, that the not-to-exceed estimate typically offered some padding, and that our final cost would very possibly be lower.

As an aside, the topic of my company came up, and as it turns out, my current employer's parent company has a blanket contract with United, so he's going to see if it might save me some $$. Just a word of advice that if you work for a medium/large employer (or one with a large parent company), definitely mention it to see if it might help.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:36 pm

Good - sometimes you can get free full replacement value valuation coverage that way (through the "account" arrangement). Even if it isn't a company-paid move, the employer's special arrangement with certain moving companies often lets the employee get especially good treatment.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:29 pm

When I was having estimates done for my Detroit-Raleigh move, the estimator from White Star/Mayflower said all of the major van line agents in the Detroit area had pretty good reputations.
"Never use the words 'only' and 'killed' in the same sentence." --Prof. Robert Harmon, Hillsdale College

dave_261

Postby dave_261 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:05 pm

Interestingly, I finally got an estimate from my company's corporate mover (who had the in-house review done locally by Imlach).

The estimate from Collins/Atlas came in WAAAYYYY below the other 2. When I dug into it a bit more, I realized that while the other 2 weights I received were both over 11,000 lbs., this one was under 3,000.

They obviously screwed up somewhere along the way, but this adds to the list of reasons why there's no way I'd use this company.

Return to “Open Community”