Molloy Bros. Moving and Storage,Old Bethpage NY

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Re: Molloy Bros. Moving and Storage,Old Bethpage NY

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:44 am

I am moving from Long Island, pretty much up the street from bethpage, to Albany, NY

The group I had contacted was the FMCSA.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:38 am

A long time ago, someone told me that Molloy has changed van lines frequently. First it was a North American agent, then Wheaton, and now Mayflower. The person who told me about it said that this can be an indicator of financial instability and other problems.

Putting the two incidents reported on this thread together with things that have been said to me privately, I think we may be seeing a pattern of bad behavior tolerated or even encouraged by top management. In my summary post on NY and NJ movers linked to below, I have therefore put a "caution" symbol by this company's name. (It has a branch in Edison, NJ.)
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

dcarpa

Postby dcarpa » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:30 pm

Update on move to Albany - Several arguments again today - price keeps changing - for the ope portion the price went from 2300 (which we confirmed twice) to 4900 because they were reading the ship from address instead of the ship to address. Simple mistake - this I understand - but it puts into question their abilities to have a simple mistake like this go out - and then have it be confirmed twice

Because of this big difference in price from the estimate to final bill (items currently in storage) - which was over 60% higher than estimate - I am forced to get a Uhual and go get the stuff myself since my budget on this is blown. After specifically being told that the extra charges would include the load onto the truck if we went this route now they tell me that they will be happy to leave the stuff on the curb. I've got to pay more now to get the stuff on my truck

After all of this I should have just used Uhual from the start - its a pain - but its got to be less painful than this

rmenghi@molloybros.com

Postby rmenghi@molloybros.com » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:54 pm

This is in response to a complaint lodged against our company from user name dcarpa on June 8, 2006. We are a reputable moving company and we are trying to accommodate a resolution for the customer. As such we did send him a new estimate for his delivery out of storage and are trying to work with him and are awaiating his response. His shipment did increase in size from the time of the estimate to the actual pickup and the charges were based on the actual cubic feet he took in the warehouse plus the actual packing we performed. We did in fact make some adjustments previously and are still trying to satisfy this customer in making more adjustments for him. As a customer focused company we try and accommodate all of our customers.
Lou McElwee,
Customer Service Manager
Molloy Bros. Moving & Storage, Inc.

dcarpa

Postby dcarpa » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:34 pm

I have spoken with Malloy several times about this - the reason why we got into this mess is that the estimate was way out of what the actual bill was. After the estimate was given I rented a private truck and did 3 car loads of my house and the estimate is still approximately 60% above what the original quote was. They can claim that the actual bill is based upon the cubic feet being used but one needs to remember that we hired them to do the packing so they get to decide how much space should be used. I have a wife and 2 small children and we have a 3 month lease in an unfurnished apartment - that is why I rented the extra vehicles. To state that more "stuff" just appeared before the movers showed up is just an excuse. According to what I'm told the law says the moving company not issuing a new estimate upon pickup means that it reaffirms their original quote - to which Malloy wouldnt even address.

It was also brought to their attention that after the boxes were packed we opened some boxes and found them almost completely empty - one bax that was about 3 feet tall and about 18" deep and wide had 1 frying pan in it (not a big one, just a regular small frying pan - the rest was paper). We brought this to their attention and asked that we have one of their representatives be there while we open the boxes to show them what we were talking about and they denied the request.

Unfortunately in the end I will probably be forced to pay their fee because the amount of time and effort it will take me to do may not be feasible. I have moved 3 times in the past using United VanLines and everything with them has gone 100% (only minor issue with a car move that they rectified immediately).

All I can do is quote the facts - the consumer can decide for themselves.

And I don't consider them saying "well come and get your stuff" is trying to resolve the situation. Giving me 4 different prices and finally demanding a written quote - which still isnt binding since they can't tell how much delivery is (what!)

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:18 pm

Oh, but did that frying pan arrive in one piece? :wink:

Can you ask Molloy if some of their employees can help you load the UHaul you're bringing to "come and get your stuff"? Or do you just want to get as far away from them as possible?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:20 pm

dcarpa wrote: . . . after the boxes were packed we opened some boxes and found them almost completely empty - one bax that was about 3 feet tall and about 18" deep and wide had 1 frying pan in it (not a big one, just a regular small frying pan - the rest was paper).

Balloon packing - not good.

dcarpa

Postby dcarpa » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:30 pm

We ended up putting the frying pan in the car and tearing the box down.

They quoted me a charge for their services to load the Uhual. It is just tough because I have a new home we are moving into (close thursday AM - yeah!), and a demanding new job so taking time off so soon isn't looked upon well - and since they arent open on the weekend I would have to take time off of work, drive all the way down there, and go through all the hassle of what a moving company is supposed to take the burden off of.

I may sound bitter (which I guess I am) but I just want the situation to be over with. I've moved 5 times in 10 years with my company job taking me from the east coast to the west and back again. And now with a 4 and a 2 year old we just want to settle down.

Thanks for all the info from the group here. Theraputic for such a crazy time. And with the new house coming into play I find myself watching HGTV constantly - now if I can just keep my wifes "project list" under control.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:59 pm

Oh, I completely understand your bitterness!

Add one project you your own list and start a garden. Something about digging in good ol' dirt makes life's problems seem so insignificant. Maybe it's the reverting to childhood thing... :wink:

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:05 pm

I just want to pipe in one thing here....

I haven't worked for Unigroup for two years, but being in Accounting/Finance I know that there was a procedure in place for credit cards.

When the sales person has the shipper sign a credit card authorization form, there is a place on that form for the amount of the charge, and also the amount of 110% of the estimated non binding charge. Correct me if I'm wrong on that Michael or 23.

When that form is sent in for authorization, there will not be any additional charges applied to that shipment without a signed copy of the shipper signing any additional charges after the fact.

Unless the law changed in my absence, only 110% can be charged on non binding orders, and the balance is to be billed 30 days after delivery.

It has been my experience that most credit card companies will contact the shipper to notify them of an additional charge so far over the original amount authorized, unless that amount was pre authorized in writing.

As you did pay by credit card, you have the legal right to dispute any charge that you feel unjustified, and the mover will have to respond to the satisfaction of the credit card company.

I notice a post by the Customer Service Manager of Malloy Brothers; however I see no mention of the cost of the move increasing... Was it the storage-in-transit that caused the charge to skyrocket?

I have a problem with his comment
His shipment did increase in size from the time of the estimate to the actual pickup and the charges were based on the actual cubic feet he took in the warehouse plus the actual packing we performed.

Once again, unless things in the tariff changed since I left the business, storage-in-transit is based on the weight of the shipment, and not cubic feet. There is a charge for the warehouse handling/first day charge, and then a daily charge based on the weight of the shipment. Valuation used to be 10% of the shipment valuation, applied every 15 days.

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

carefulmover

Postby carefulmover » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:56 pm

Shipment was not SIT but perm storage. The overage was due to the fact that the shipment went from 6 storage containers to seven storage containers (not unreasonable) and has to be shipped as a NYS intrastate move. The mistake was in quoting local hourly rates based upon erroneous destination. As required by NYS DOT filed tariff, anything over 65 miles must be done as a weight based move. I do not know if company was aware of the fact that the shipper intended to move to albany at the time of the estimate or was the salesman told that no final decision had been made regarding final delivery. I have worked in the household business in the past and found that molloy bros. has been one of the more conscientious companys and that they have a high regard for their reputation as a legitimate and upfront company. I have spoken with jim molloy in the past and found him to be very concerned with his customers move experience and in no way condones or accepts any underhanded activities. I believe the company has gone so far as to establish quality control field supervisors inorder to supervise the moves and assist the customer in understanding the move process and answer any questions.

dcarpa

Postby dcarpa » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:46 am

Salesman was aware of final delivery, he wrote the address down on the original estimate. Salesman was aware of a specific budget that my relocation covered (which is why I think this whole thing happens - they here a budget - they write the estimate just under the budget - the final bill shows up way over the estimate). Number of containers usedis determined by volume; and the volume for materials other than furniture which should be relatively straight forward to estimate is the paper/goods ratio int he boxes.

I've heard this several times - it's no big deal it only took 7 containers versus 6. That may be the case but that doesnt explain the 60% increase in price. If it was just a 15% increase going from the space for 6 to 7 containers it would be fine, but 60% is just them low balling me since they heard my relocation budget.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:26 am

I know that in my experience in agents for Mayflower in NY metro area, we had better response with Dahill than Molloy Brothers.

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”