Good movers in Metro DC?

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
MusicMom

Re: Good movers in Metro DC?

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:04 pm

You're right. I read the "Prince William" statement about VA in the quote above and got the wong name in my head. I wondered why only one county adjacent to DC was mentioned! :oops: My bad.

Nupe357

StrongMan Movers in DC/Baltimore

Postby Nupe357 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:07 pm

Beware of StrongMan Moving (a.k.a. "MacArthur's StrongMan Moving")in the DC/Baltimore area!!

We hired theom ONLY to pack our stuff when we moved to Texas. They told us the day of our move that we had to pay more than originally planned (we supposedly had to meet a "minimum" we new nothing about) and then (worst of all) when we arrived in Texas we found that the stuff had been packed poorly and a lot of our stuff was damaged. I called the owner and had a very brief conversation. Several subsequent calls/e-mails to talk about my complaint went un-answered. Therefore I label them as non-responsive and prone to customer scams.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:23 pm

I'm sorry this happened. How long ago was this?

I found this on thier website, it's a link to a company selling insurance. Pros, can you tell us if this looks legit?
http://www.grw-products.com/Cargo%20Insurance.htm

IMP

Postby IMP » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:15 am

Would a legit insurance company have spelling/grammar errors on their website?

If you want full coverage for the full declared value of your shipment, regardless of the carriers terms, than primary coverage is the answer
The word should be "then" - not "than".

If the carrier does accept your claim, than you will only receive their limited liability coverage.
Again - the word should be "then" - not "than".

Carrier's liability is very limited in that they only pay based on the weight of your shipment, not the declared value.
Untrue statement.

In addition, they don't cover high risk items, or high valued items.
Untrue Statement

If you want full coverage for the full declared value of your shipment, regardless of the carriers terms, than primary coverage is the answer.

"carrier's" missing the apostrophe showing possessiveness, the word "than" should be changed to "then".

While this was a fun exercise - I think that is enough to show my point.

Noone

Postby Noone » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:53 pm

I would feel better if they weren't the sister company of Pacific Atlantic Forwarding.
http://www.grw-products.com/freightshipping.htm
The number 2996 on the list of Freight Forwarders matches PECAN INTERNATIONAL FORWARDERS, INC.
and the name Pacific Atlantic forwarders doesn't show on the oti/nvocc list.
Nor does GRW, the start of grw-products

Also, when reading the list of exclusions, I thought "they have too many exclusions. I ship to "war zones" and pay my extra .002 whatever and my insurance company has almost none of these". They even exclude if the transport company goes out of business, and that causes damage to your things.

This thought of mine (I ship alot of commercial stuff, so I like to find good insurance companies) was confirmed by this report:
http://www.badbusinessbureau.com/report ... f71931.htm

Insuring your shipment properly is an important thing. Read the paperwork. All of it. If you don't understand it, ask an insurance agent (like the one who insures your car or house) to do you a favor and explain it to you.

I would never consider using this company.

Nupe357

StrongMan Movers in DC/Baltimore

Postby Nupe357 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:49 am

Music Mom:

The incident in question with StrongMan Moving took place in Howard County, MD in June 2004.

KELLER

Postby KELLER » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:34 pm

Since I relied heavily on this site in picking a mover, so I thought I would share my experience with Town and Country. They sent three guys, were on time, didn't break anything, were courteous, and quick. They carefully wrapped my mattresses and anything with doors/drawers. No scratches or dings. I packed myself and they moved me out of a tight Baltimore City rowhouse and into my new place in Northern Virginia in five hours. On the phone the woman quoted me a range of $650-$1,105 (they charge $130/hour plus travel time) and it ended up being in the lower end of the range.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:37 pm

Thank you for the review. It helps.

dcCindy

Postby dcCindy » Mon May 15, 2006 1:11 pm

has anyone used Irish Movers in Northern VA ? Thanks --would appreciate any input--we are only moving two blocks away and don't have al that much

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon May 15, 2006 3:48 pm

Never heard of them, and the BBB is just now getting around to writing a report on them. In other words, no reputation, good or bad.

Try calling Beltway movers. They are a well-established local mover with many trucks at their disposal, and are not as pricey as some of the other local movers. Also try Moyer & Sons.

Joshua

Postby Joshua » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:14 am

MusicMom:

I need to move from DC to New York City (actually an hour north of NYC) by the end of June. You gave this list of movers about a year ago:

Von Paris (Alexandria)
Hilldrup (Baltimore)
McCollister's (Alexandria)
Victory Van Corp (Alexandria)
Paxton Van Lines (I don't remember the exact agent's name)

I really only need people to help load a truck in DC, but I would pay for the entire packing and driving package if I found a reliable service. Can you give me some suggestions for both (just loading and the full package)

Thanks.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:23 pm

For just loading, any moving company can help you ut (check that they come with Workman's Comp insurance). You can also go to www.emovecom and www.laborready.com

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:04 am

Anonymous wrote:We had a good experience with Strongman moving company. It was an intrastate move within Maryland and the price was good and the quality was good. They do a lot of stuff on craigslist, I think, moving furniture and stuff. Anyway, there website is http://strongmanmoving.com/

And I'm sure YOU'RE not a moving company at ALL, right? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lstevenson

Postby lstevenson » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:33 pm

Joshua wrote:MusicMom:

I need to move from DC to New York City (actually an hour north of NYC) by the end of June. You gave this list of movers about a year ago:

Von Paris (Alexandria)
Hilldrup (Baltimore)
McCollister's (Alexandria)
Victory Van Corp (Alexandria)
Paxton Van Lines (I don't remember the exact agent's name)

I really only need people to help load a truck in DC, but I would pay for the entire packing and driving package if I found a reliable service. Can you give me some suggestions for both (just loading and the full package)

Thanks.

I just used Victory Van Corp and was very happy with them. Very professional.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:27 am

Thank you for the update! I remember you originally looking back in May. Glad all went well.

If you have a moment, could you include some details, like what specifically you think went very well, if anything went not-so-well, timeframe, etc?

Return to “Report A Scam”