Move from Chicago to Detroit

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Mikee

Move from Chicago to Detroit

Postby Mikee » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:40 pm

`I am moving at the end of this month from Chicago to Detroit.. and i'm looking for a company which will do the full service packing-moving thing.

I've been surfing through the internet and this site trying to find a good company.. there's a lot of information out there, which made me a little more confused than informed.

Anybody can recommend a good moving company in Chicago from experience..
I would really appreciate guidance...

Thanks

Diane

Re: Move from Chicago to Detroit

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:48 pm

Hi - you're starting kind of late to look for a moving company. I guess I would start by reading the summary post linked to below. Read the first post and then scroll down to both "Illinois" and "Michigan." You could call some of the companies that have especially good reviews to see whether anybody can fit you in. You might have better luck with a smaller company like Wm. Meyers (Paul Arpin) or USA Moving. Good luck! And be careful, because the scammers prey on people who have to make last-minute moves. Once you have a couple of quotes, you can come back here to consult us further.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Mikee

Postby Mikee » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:13 pm

Sorry i omitted few names...

Alright...
I spent the whole evening and today morning looking and searching and calling....

A lot of moving companies recommended in this site are already booked for the end of the month ( Berger Transfer, Jackson Moving, Pickens-kane, Ace Relocation, Nelson westerberg, Glenn Ellyn, Prager, Wm Meyers, Adco van, All chicagoland, Armstrong, Planes Moving, A Windy city, Birrows moving, Boyer-Rosene, DMS, Rose moving, Corigan.....)

Moishe's company asked me for a high fee ( in the 2500$) which is higher than all the other estimates i got...

EZ movers came to my apt for an estimate, and they charge by cube feet, the guy who came looked professional, but they can't deliver before July 5..

The other company i am considering is " The Moving Experts".. they will charge 1700$ for a full service.... the problem i have with them that i could not find them by their USDOT # they provide in their website, so i'm not sure they are licensed ? that kind of put them off for me..

Another company is offering me a reasonable price (1650$) with 5 days delivery with guaranteed delivery day (June 29-30)... Anybody knows about this company ( Galaxy Van Lines ,its USDOT # 1464758).. I might go with them

There's a company located in Indiana " Master Movers , USDOT# 1129783", they promised next day delivery for a low cost 1500$..... I am not sure about them...

The other company I am waiting to hear back from is: " Blackhawk moving and storage, USDOT# 77949" , good price (1550)... They are just looking if they can deliver on the dates i want, though they might pick-up my appartment as early as 10 days before the delivery"

Last, there's a company by the name "In & out Moving and storage, DOT# 662633"... this company offered the average price 1500$, but i am not sure if they are the same company listed in the blacklist of this site which has a different USDOT...

Ok, thanks again

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:08 pm

Blackhawk is reputable. If you can book with them, I would grab them. All the others that you mention are scammers.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

brionjlock

Postby brionjlock » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:05 am

I just moved from Birmingham to Atlanta this week, and we used DMS (Dearborn Moving and Storage), an Atlas Carrier, based in Canton Michigan with a Office in Birmingham. Words cannot decribe the incredible job they did. From the initial contact with the estimate, I could tell DMS was a first class operation. The estimate was within 400lbs., 14,600 actual, 15,000 estimated. We had two crews, one packed and loaded in B'Ham, a second unloaded in Atlanta. The operators (Semi-Owners) had 60 years experience between them. Their crews were extrmely polite, and packed everything and clearly marked each box/item! Despite having to shuttle at the B'ham home (load a small truck, then unload in Semi, I think it took 9 trips total) in the June Alabama sun, the attitude of "taking pride in one's work did not faulter. " When unloading, everything was placed in each room as requested, and once completed, walked every room to be sure all furniture was in the correct spot and assembled.

All items arrived safe and on-time. Call DMS!

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:01 pm

Thanks so much for this rave review, which I'll add to my summary post under "Alabama" and also "Michigan." DMS Birmingham has already been mentioned by someone who raved about one of its drivers named Glenn Knox (#642) and his wife - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7924#27924
Diane

Mannix

Postby Mannix » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:16 pm

I had a bad move done by Galaxy Van Lines, which I briefly mentioned on my blog. A couple of people have emailed me who had even worse experiences, neither one of them have received their stuff yet. Stay away from them is my advice.

Return to “Open Community”