Evaluation of United Van Lines vs North American Van Lines,

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jeholloway

Evaluation of United Van Lines vs North American Van Lines,

Postby jeholloway » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:33 am

For a move from Baton Rouge, LA I am looking for any data that will help me decide between United Van Lines and North American Van Lines.
Any help?
JEH
Louisiana to Georgia

Re: Evaluation of United Van Lines vs North American Van Lin

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:01 am

United Van Lines :
http://www.batonrouge.bbb.org/commonrep ... d=15005396
North American :
http://www.batonrouge.bbb.org/commonrep ... d=16000269

Id say you can't go wrong either way if you are moving interstate. Visit both facilities and see which one looks like the better run organization,if their prices are comparable.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:11 pm

I would say that guest is right. Either sounds like equals, but, I think the tie breaker would be that Armstrong is better connected, and has a pretty good sized hauling fleet of its' own; separate from the United fleet.

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:41 am

Unless you know which driver and helpers you will get one each end you cannot judge them. A good UVL driver is just as good as a good NAVL driver, A poor UVL driver is just as bad as a poor NAVL driver. Same goes for help. So you can go with one company and get a good driver and get good help one day, and get a bad driver with poor help the next. You can request a top quality driver, And you can request quality help at orgin.
Ruges

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:51 pm

Since Armstrong has a location in Atlanta I guess I would tend to go with Armstrong, if that's where you're moving to.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Smiling

Postby Smiling » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:41 am

We moved from NC to Athens, GA last summer and had a good experience with Beltmann Group/North American Van Lines. At that time, we also got an estimate from Armstrong but they were about $1500 more so we went with NAVL. :)

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:15 am

Hi - what Beltmann agent did you use (i.e. in what city) so I can add your remarks to my reviews of NC movers?

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:24 am

Smiling, you said that the Armstrong quote was $1500 higher than Beltmann.

How did the final charges calculate? Were they close to the estimated charge, and was the weight within the estimate range?

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Smiling

Postby Smiling » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:35 am

We used Beltmann Group in Durham, NC. Because it was a short distance move (~350 miles), they handled the move straight to Athens, GA. The packers came on time. They took good care of my furniture and paintings. Only one bookshelf got damaged. There was a glitch on the loading date because I told them I might have to change the loading day two days before the original scheduled date due to closing issues in GA. I ended up not needing to change it but they had taken me off the schedule already. Neverthless, the coordinator was great. Within two hours of noticing the problems, she found another driver to load for us over the weekend. Overall, we are happy with the moving experience.

Both estimates from NAVL and Armstrong were not to exceed estimates. The agents visited our house and gave us the estimates. The differences are probably due to the different percentage discounts the two companies offered. I can't remember the exact discount but I believe NAVL had a greater discount for us.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:31 am

That's usually the case, when the weights and services offered are within a reasonable range, and one doesn't come up with a lot more or lot less weight.

Glad you are satisfied with Beltmann.

Lee

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:39 am

Smiling, I added your good review of Beltmann (sometimes referred to as "the big B"). Thanks.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”