Need advice on several moving estimates - Urgent Pls Help

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
anaruiz42

Need advice on several moving estimates - Urgent Pls Help

Postby anaruiz42 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:02 pm

Hi, we are located in Weston, FL and I have received 3 very different quotes from the following companies.

Sunset Moving & Storage (Agent for Wheaton)
Estimate 7000 with little packing is $5781

Cousins Moving & Storage (Agent for Stevens)
Estimate for 5800 lbs is $4024

3 Aces Inc.
Estimate for 786 cubic feet is $3600

I didn't mention that we are closing on our home on June 29th and need storage for one month until we close on home in Wake Forest, NC on July 28th. I feel all but (Sunset) seemed like scammers, does anyone out there know of a REPUTABLE MOVER in my area. I am so stressed and the more I read the more stressed out I GET!! Please help and advice would be most appreciated.

BigLeeCalif

Re: Need advice on several moving estimates - Urgent Pls Hel

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:22 pm

I would say that the first two on your list are ok for getting estimates from.

The last one nix immediately, as they quoted cubic feet.

I would ask you though why there is a 1200 lb difference in estimated weight between the wheaton and stevens agents.... Did you show them both exactly the same items that are being moved?

I would say get one other estimate from a major van line in your area.

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:46 am

Hi - click on the link below my signature, read the first post, and scroll down to "Florida" to see what has been said here about companies in your area. You'll see that Suddath is one that has very good reviews, but there are others.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

anaruiz42

Postby anaruiz42 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:24 pm

Thank you for your help. I did show the same exact items, which is why I was wondering the big difference in weight. I have an appt tomorrow with AA Varco (Allied). I read a somewhat of a good review on this site. I will you know which one I finally choose and how it all works out for us.

Also, can you go with them to the weigh station to see if it is accurate?

Again, thank you for your help.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:58 pm

ok Ana..

Keep us posted, and if you need any info after you select a mover feel free to keep us in the loop.

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:58 pm

Yes, you have a right to view the weighing. If you want to know what else you're entitled to, click here:
http://www.protectyourmove.gov/consumer ... rights.htm

Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:44 am

Wheaton's quote may be higher if they provided you with a GNTE estimate and the salesperson wanted to hedge against overcharges. 3 Ace's cubic foot estimate, however, is closer to supporting Cousin's estimated weight using the industry standard of 7 lbs. per cubic foot.

You're planning your move for the busiest week of the entire year in the moving industry. Many carriers have already stopped accepting new orders for the month end. Your decision of a carrier may depend on the the local agent's ability to pick up your things for Storage in Transit (SIT) at origin.

There will be a critical shortage of warehouse space in NC in next two weeks because of the large number of inbound military shipments that will require SIT. Several military installations have already reported that some moving companies in the area are saturated and can't take any more storage.

anaruiz42

Postby anaruiz42 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:03 pm

Hi All,

I did in fact have the local agent for Allied in my area AA Varco Inc., come to my home this afternoon and he gave me an Estimate Order for Service / Guaranteed Price Pledge (what exactly does that mean) with the weight coming in at 3640 lbs (we decided to rent a U-Haul and take some things ourselves in order to bring down the price and be able to take our storage unit items as well).

He was very professional and not pushy or bad mouthing of the other companies. We are storing and staying here in Ft. Lauderdale locally until late July. He did mention that what was going to "get us" the most was the price for the local storage.

Final price is $3476, we are happy with that price. What do you think? Also, I received a call back this morning from Florida Movers & Warehousemen's Association and he gave me the name of several REPUTABLE movers in Broward County and AA Varco was the second one on his list as a "Member in Good Standing" since 1994. This was one of the most important concerns of mine since reading through site and learning that I live in "scam" central.

Believe me I was a mess until I came on this site and did my homework. I have gained quite a bit of knowledge and today is the first day that I don't feel my heart pounding!

I want to thank you again! My move is one week from today and now I hope everything works out well with AA Varco. I will let you know. Kindest regards with my deepest gratitude.

Ana

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:18 pm

Glad we could help. AA Varco sounds good! A Guaranteed Price Pledge quote in the Allied system is normally a Binding estimate that will not go up or down. Please keep us posted but I think you are on the right track.

I would be very interested in what other names you got from the FL movers' association if you could post them.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

anaruiz42

Postby anaruiz42 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:37 pm

Hi Diane:

Sorry I didn't get back with you yesterday, as you can imagine I'm working on a two page checklist for my move.

The following are the list of moving companies in "Good Standing" from the FMWA:

1. Bekins of South Florida
2. AA Varco agent for Allied
3. AAA Gold Coast Moving & Storage in Sunrise, FL
4. Griffin Moving and Storage
5. K & S Moving and Storage

Hope this helps anyone out there going through what we went through these last couple of week.

Diane, one more question, is it the "norm" to ask for $900 up front (AA Varco asked for it for the storage). I read in some threads that you shouldn't pay until your move is complete.

I appreciate any feed back.

Thanks again, Ana

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:28 pm

Hi Ana,

Thanks for the names of the companies. I'll put them in my summary post as examples of companies that the FMWA said were OK.

Yes, it's normal to pay for the first part of the storage up front. Unfortunately some people will have a moving company pick up their things and then never collect them. Someone in the industry in NYC told me, "It's cheaper for them than renting a Dumpster--that costs $700 in the city."

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:52 pm

Diane you are absolutely correct on your storage disposal company.

We have had many storage lots out for auction for non-payment, only to open them to find worthless trash and misc. junk that had no value to anyone.

Companies require generally the amount of any storage-in-transit at origin be paid at the time of the pickup.

Lee

Return to “Open Community”