*Chicago to CT - HELP!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
phw

*Chicago to CT - HELP!

Postby phw » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:00 pm

I am so glad I found this site. After talking to a handful of companies and doing way too much research, I am still completely confused. We are moving in August to CT from Chicago and we were hoping to achieve to things: keep the moving costs low and, ideally, not do the driving. Here's the problem.

First I got a good quote, it seemed, from In and Out Movers. I was attracted to them b/c you pack, they load and they drive. But, I found one really bad review of them on epinions and then I found some not so great info about them on this site. But, I do have one question, are the two In and Out Moving companies that are blacklisted the same as the one in Chicago?

Next I moved onto ABF UPack BUT it turns out that my building won't work with anything but a truck so that option is out.

Then, I made the mistake of calling Movex which sounded good until I read that I would have done better to go directly to Broadway - I still want to try that. And, it sounds like there are some serious things to pay attention to with Movex.

So, now I'm thinking of two options: price out a full service move (looks like Blackhawk and Prager may be good places to try). And, trying to pay a friend to drive a rental van.

Am I missing something? Is there another GOOD company that does what In and Out does. Are they off limits? Should I pursure my Movex quote. After reading this site, I feel like I shouldn't even move. UGH!

MusicMom

Re: Chicago to CT - HELP!

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:22 pm

Without more time to investigate, I can't say if the In & Out of Chicago is the same as the one from FL (or the one from CA, for that matter). I know it's not the one from NY, since those people are in prison or recently released). From what I've seen, I don't think they're related.

That being said, they have a lot of complaints for a relatively small company, and they have problems with their drivers following safety rules, plus they are assigning drivers who are under the legal age to drive interstate, or are not licensed to drive a truck at all. Not a good sign. 5 trucks is kind of small for a move of any great distance.

ABF's containers are only one option. They do have trailers attached to trucks, if this is what your building requires.

You can use Moves, and request BE to be ther shipper, but then you ahve to pay Movex a broker's fee. And unfortunately, BE and Movex have a non-compete agreement, so BE will not take you if you're aleady been quoted by Movex. Did you actually get a quote, or just talk to them ont he phone? If the latter, it may stil be worth a shot to call BE. Diane will correct me if I'm wrong.

Otherwise, you can scroll though this list of movers (mostly full-service) in Illinois, and call a few.

Oh, and I'm going to move this thread to the Open Community.

blocke

Postby blocke » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:50 am

phw wrote:I am so glad I found this site. After talking to a handful of companies and doing way too much research, I am still completely confused. We are moving in August to CT from Chicago and we were hoping to achieve to things: keep the moving costs low and, ideally, not do the driving. Here's the problem.

First I got a good quote, it seemed, from In and Out Movers. I was attracted to them b/c you pack, they load and they drive. But, I found one really bad review of them on epinions and then I found some not so great info about them on this site. But, I do have one question, are the two In and Out Moving companies that are blacklisted the same as the one in Chicago?

Next I moved onto ABF UPack BUT it turns out that my building won't work with anything but a truck so that option is out.

Then, I made the mistake of calling Movex which sounded good until I read that I would have done better to go directly to Broadway - I still want to try that. And, it sounds like there are some serious things to pay attention to with Movex.

So, now I'm thinking of two options: price out a full service move (looks like Blackhawk and Prager may be good places to try). And, trying to pay a friend to drive a rental van.

Am I missing something? Is there another GOOD company that does what In and Out does. Are they off limits? Should I pursure my Movex quote. After reading this site, I feel like I shouldn't even move. UGH!

I am moving from CT to Chicago. i would like to get a full service mover, I noticied you said Prager and Blackhawk seem like good movers. Where do you get your information, I am looking for some reputable movers but I haven't found any information.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:22 am

blocke,

Click on the link below my signature, read the first post, and then scroll down to "Connecticut" to see what has been said here about movers in your area. You can also consider movers based in Illinois (Prager and Blackhawk) if you want, but most people advise focusing on companies in the area you're moving from so that you can get in-home estimates easily.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Mr B

Postby Mr B » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:29 pm

Blocke,
Diane is right most people do use agents within their home region.You get to meet face to face with a salesesperson though either way.If you called Prager we would have a survey done by the CT agency but then we would price it from our agency here in Illinois and probably haul it with one of our trucks if it was a decent sized shipment.

PHW,
If you decide to go the full service route you should get an estimate soon.The end of July is starting to book up and August will be extremely busy since most folks want to get into their new homes before school starts.

Steve

phw

Postby phw » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:04 pm

For what it's worth, I called Prager for an estimate and they were NOT impressive. The main office asked me to call their "Chicago Rep." I called the number they called me and got some guy at his home who said he was laid up with an injury and couldn't come out to do an estimate until he was recovered - this is their system???? He gave me a minimum quote over the phone without asking any questions except where I was going. I'm not going to pursue Prager. None of that felt very professional to me. Blackhawk is coming tomorroe.

Return to “Open Community”