NY to SF Help

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
AS Brooklyn-SF

NY to SF Help

Postby AS Brooklyn-SF » Sat May 27, 2006 6:53 pm

We're moving from NY to SF at the end of this summer. Got estimate from Moishes' Movers that was decent. Also have a quote from Broadway Express - emailed after a phone interview - not an in person estimate - should we expect an in person? Also, thanks to this list we rejected an estimate from California New York Express. Though CNYE seems to be rated better on BBB these days - actualy getting a B - they still estimated by Feet instead of weight. Couldn't find any info on here about EastWest... any help there would be appreciated (though I'll do my own homework on the site too).

Thanks!

MusicMom

Re: NY to SF Help

Postby MusicMom » Sat May 27, 2006 8:21 pm

EastWest is a scammer. Dump them.

CNYX is bad, nomatter what their BBB rating. A member getting less than an A rating? Something's going on there... Not to mention it is still illegal to charge Cubic Feet for an interstate move (for anything other than a Binding quote).

BE will not be able to give you an inhome estimate. But trust me, their best interest is in making your load take up as LITTLE amount of space as possible, whereas the movers want it to take up MORE space (if they're charging by space like CNYX wants to). Freight companies work differently than full-service movers. Are you up for loading yourself, or do you need to hire loading help?

Moishe's is not really considered a scammer anymore, and has numerous good comments on NYC moves, but they have not had such great comments on long-distance moves. They still have a lot of kinks to work out.

AS Brooklyn-SF

Postby AS Brooklyn-SF » Wed May 31, 2006 11:10 am

Thanks for the feedback. We are definitely fine with packing ourselves, but we'll hire laboreres for the load and unload...

sfmover

Postby sfmover » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:42 am

Got scammed By EastWest over the weekend for local move in SF - hidden costs, turned up a day late, general lying and cheating.

Don't use these guys under any circumstances.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:52 am

On East-West Moving in San Jose, see these threads -
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1517
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6245
They are a scammer. Do not use.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

carefulamy

Postby carefulamy » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:37 pm

Moishe's is good on the NYC end, very professional and careful, but on the SF end, for us in 2004, they had clearly hired day laborers who knew NOTHING about carrying even boxes. They did a lot of damage to our Victorian house's staircase, walls, and floors. Worse, when we were visibly alarmed, the day laborers were clearly really scared they were in deep trouble or wouldn't get paid.

I would say, be careful. Is there any way to stipulate that a company doesn't pick up day laborers? I know two very good local movers, very professional, etc. that I can recommend.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:48 pm

When a driver goes into a new city he will contact an agent for the carrier he represents for labor to assist in loading/unloading.

Your experience is that you selected a company with no van line affiliation, and you have to expect that with no agent in the area, he has to take labor where he can get it.

Some agents of van lines will help out an independant when able, but my past experience has been numerous complaints from trained movers going out and saying the independent guys stiffed them or underpaid them.

SF Mover sorry you got taken by EastWest... They should be called HeadingSouth.. Because they get up in the morning, and it all goes south from there.

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”