Tipping Advice

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
RRoe72

Tipping Advice

Postby RRoe72 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:30 pm

I used Broadway Express to move 10 linear feet of furniture from NYC to San Francisco. Anybody have a rough idea of how much I should tip the driver? This was a pure U-Pack move, so I'm thinking the tip would be less than a normal full complete move.

Diane

Re: Tipping Advice

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:34 pm

Did the driver do anything to help load in NYC, such as advising how to stack the goods or putting up the bulkhead?

RRoe72

Postby RRoe72 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:08 am

He did not advise how to pack, and we didn't have to deal with a bulkhead because we were the last load on the truck.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:27 am

Then if he also doesn't do anything on the delivery end I don't think you're obliged to give him anything, but as a courtesy I think you might give him $20 or so. He did have to deal with the NYC traffic. The BE drivers are paid something by the company to do every self-move pickup and delivery, so it's not as if he will get nothing.

Incidentally, off topic, but one of the BE drivers told me that he has been stiffed by customers several times where they hired him at $30/hour and then at the end of the loading said that they didn't have any money to pay him. I hope that those creeps were not people from MovingScam.com. That makes me so angry! Many of these drivers have bad backs and other joint problems and they are putting their health at risk to serve the public. Then to have someone do that to them is just evil.

Please do come back and report on your move, OK?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

RRoe72

Postby RRoe72 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:15 am

I will be completing my BE move over the weekend so I'll give you my assessment then, but everything so far has been great.

I did hire local movers here to pack the truck, Shea Moving Company, at your advice. They were absolutely great. Two guys came, one was a little late getting there, but they did an unbelievable job packing up my furniture and loading it on the BE truck. I have a large one bedroom apartment and thought for sure I'd need more than 10 feet, so I reserved 12 feet. These guys were so good, they packed it all in 8 linear feet...and did it all in 2 hours (I helped out a lot though)! This includes an upright piano and a 45 inch projection TV. They also utilized all the moving pads that came with the truck and used their own rolls of tape to cover all the furniture. A very professional job to say the least and I tipped them accordingly. Nice recommendation Diane and would use them again in a second if I had a chance.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:26 am

Wow! This is so great to hear! Actually my own son used Shea to move locally in Brooklyn this morning (a very small move) and he just emailed me that Brian was very good. I first heard about the company from someone else who moved with BE. Then they were given a thumb's up by a guy I trust, Rich Barrale of All Star Moving, and I really liked the way Julie Shea sounded on the phone.

Return to “Open Community”