Denver local mover suggestions

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Denver local mover suggestions

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:51 pm

Hi All,

First off, thanks for the great website. I came across it as a link from the Denver BBB website. Glad I found it.

I'm planning a local move in Denver, just 20 minutes across town. I was wondering if there are any recommended movers, or anyone has had bad experiences with the two I'm considering.

I've gotten 4 over the phone estimates. Each had quoted an hourly rate, and about 4-6 hours of total time. The two that I'm considering are:

Cowboy Moving and Storage (www.cowboymoving.com)

and

A Man With a Van (www.amanwithavan.com)

Does anyone have any experiences with either of these two movers. I've tried to research as much as possible, but finding online reviews for movers is pretty difficult.

Thanks in advance for your help!

C

Diane

Re: Denver local mover suggestions

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:21 pm

After reading a good review of the company by "Jen" (Broadway Express review #70), I used Amazing Moves at www.amazingmoves.com for a crosscity move in Denver two weeks ago, helping a family member. I thought it was excellent. They charged about $90/hour for two guys and a 24-foot truck, plus a little for travel time and for use of some mattress bags. Three years ago, helping another family member in Denver, I used Colorado Movers at www.coloradomoversinc.com, which I thought was much less good. They charge about the same as Amazing Moves.

I don't know anything about the two companies you're asking about. My advice is, don't skimp on this type of move. You benefit in the long run if the moving guys don't take long breaks for smokes and snacks and if they know what they're doing.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:27 pm

Thanks Diane,

I'll give them a call and see what they have to say.

C

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:54 pm

I thought I would post a photo of the guys sent by Amazing Moves and add a few more details about my family member's (daughter's) move in Denver a month ago. She was moving across town from a 2BR house with den to a 1BR apartment.
If I'm remembering correctly, that is Kevin Greene on the left and Dave Jensen on the right. Kevin has worked for Amazing Moves for about 6 months and Dave for about 2 years. They were using a Penske rental truck with a liftgate and they attached the ramp to the liftgate at right angles as shown. The truck was immaculate and they had a LOT of equipment with them.

Kevin's father is a driver for Carlyle Van Lines in Missouri and according to Kevin he likes it the best of all the van lines he has driven for.

Here are some things I liked about the company, which is co-owned by Marshall Aikman and Patrick McHale.

1. Marshall visited the house a week prior to the move to give my daughter a nonbinding rough estimate of the time he thought it would take. (His estimate was "up to 4" hours and it actually took 5 hours, but oh well. There were some unforeseen access issues at destination and also some overflow stuff had to be put into a storage unit in the complex that was located at a distance from the actual apartment.)

2. Marshall left a folder at the house containing the following: the nonbinding estimate, packing tips, a price list for boxes and other materials, a list of people who could be called for references, and an information sheet about the company stating that it is licensed with the Colorado PUC and the USDOT (#1187573), that it carries proper insurance (cargo, liability, and workers' comp), and that certificates of insurance are available on request.

3. Kevin and Dave came right on time at 9 am. They were clearly well educated and easy to communicate with, in contrast to the ones I had had three years before with Colorado Movers. Marshall told my daughter that he tries to hire people with at least some college education.

4. They were wearing clean clothes including T-shirts with the company name on them. A small thing, but it gave the move a professional feel.

5. They were careful with fragile items without being asked. Example: they stood a shoji screen in a wardrobe box to protect it rather than just wrapping it and sticking it into the truck.

6. I don't particularly consider it a plus to move fast - I prefer careful to fast - but they did move fast. You can see from the photo that they were built for it (looked like basketball players).

7. They gave us a final bill of lading at the conclusion of the move stating the time that they had left and would return to the warehouse (there was a total of 1/2 hour travel time), the hourly rate, the charges for a few boxes and mattress bags (total of $25 plus tax), and the total cost of the move ($471.80 for 5 hours).

There was a small glitch when one of the guys set a 5-foot-tall bookcase down in the middle of the apartment living room rather than against a wall. It blew over when the door was opened, denting the plastic miniblind on a window, but we considered that very minor considering how much stuff they moved. (There was no damage to the bookcase itself or the window.) If we had moved the stuff ourselves, we would have had far more damage and probably wouldn't have been able to walk right now. :wink:

So that's my personal report on Amazing Moves in Denver at 303-668-7444. It first came to my attention when someone moving with Broadway Express used it and liked it, as stated above.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Re: Update on Denver local mover suggestions

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:39 pm

Just wanted to post an update on my move experience, which occured this past weekend.

On Diane's recommendation, I gave Amazing Moves a call for quote. Unfortunately, they were all booked up for the day I needed to move.

I ended up going with Cowboy Moving and Storage. They were recommended to me by a co-worker, had an excellent BBB report, and seemed to check out.

They quoted me $100/hr for a two-man team, and a 24ft truck. They estimated 4-6 hours, plus 1 hour of travel to/from their location.

They were scheduled to arrive between 8 and 9 AM Saturday morning.

So, Saturday arrives, 9:15AM, and I haven't heard anything. I call them, and speak with a woman who says that she is the only one in the office, so the moving team must be on their way. About 9:45, the 'dispatcher' calls to inform me that their 'driver was in a car accident', and won't be able to make it. He tells me that he is putting together a reserve crew, and they would be there no later than noon. (Now, I had lots of friends and family in town to help unload boxes etc, so this was rather annoying. Lots of family members sitting around doing nothing, because the boxes weren't moved to be unpacked)

At noon, still have heard nothing. I give a call back to the dispatcher, and he tells me that their is a crew finishing up their first job, and will be heading to my location shortly. I ask what happened to the supposed 'reserve crew' he was putting together for me. He says that no one would come in to help, so no reserve crew today. Interesting.

At 12:30, I hear from the driver of my new crew. They are on their way, but are going to stop for lunch first. Says they'll be there by 1:00. Also, mentions that he has two guys to help him, not just one. At 1:15, the driver and his two-man crew show up. Thinking that they did this in order to expedite my move, since they are late, I assume my price would still be $100/hr. Wrong. Now my price is $120/hr, because of the extra person. I agree to this, simply due to the fact that I have 5 people waiting to help unpack, and I want it to go as quickly as possible.

I will say, that the crew that did show up, was very efficient. They worked incredibly hard, and ran everywhere they went. Other than some not-so-subtle hints about being tipped, they were quite professional. One of the guys was obviously new, but they all worked very hard.

No damage to any of my stuff, nor any damage to either house, so that was good.

Ended up taking the guys around 4 hours, plus the added hour of commute time.

Overall, I'd give it about a C+. I asked the driver about the supposed 'car-accident', and he mentioned that basically some drivers don't show up on Saturdays, because they're hungover. He gave me the impression that there was definitely no car accident involved, just poor planning, and over-booking by Cowboy Moving.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give everyone a heads-up. Cowboy Moving was OK, but I would definitely look elsewhere first. I don't like being lied to. If they had just told me that the driver didn't show up for work, and that a crew would be there as soon as they finished their first job, I would have been much happier.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:57 pm

Hmm . . . when I went to Denver an apartment manager told me that Cowboy is a large company but they tend to finish jobs late and also she saw one crew come out of a package store holding paper bags. I wasn't going to post this, but it kind of fits with your story.

I forgot to add that the Amazing Moves guys did NOT hint around for tips, but I gave them each $40 and we saw them later eating lunch at Heidi's Deli (no paper bags in evidence).

Anyway, thanks for the review and I'll add it to my summary post on Denver.

Return to “Open Community”