OC (Socal) to Cin, OH Allied or United?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
yos14

OC (Socal) to Cin, OH Allied or United?

Postby yos14 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:08 pm

I hate all of this. I hate everything about the stress of moving and trying not to get ripped off or being aggrevated by potential damages. BUT, deal with it I must and now that I've vented...

We are moving from Huntington Beach, CA to north of Cincinnati, OH. We had 2 companies out for quotes: Schick Moving with Allied Van Lines and Chipman Relocations with United Van Lines both out of Orange County. Both did thorough inventories and gave us a not to exceed quote that day. They were within 500lbs of each other or $500. I felt comfortable with that. It's not an exact science, after all.

The Chipman guy gave us the Mover's Rights book and in the contract - in very tiny letters - it did mention extra costs like shuttling, extra days, etc. That was it - no follow up call or letter.

The Schick guy was $500 cheaper but gave us no book and nothing on the estimate mentioned possible extra charges. He sent a nice followup letter the next day. We called and asked about the charges and he declared there wouldn't be any. We said we know they could potentially exist and he still said there wouldn't be any. When asked more about how the insurance works, he said the info was in the Rights & Responsibilities book - the one he never gave us.

Before we did our research here at this website, we had agreed to use Schick/Allied. Now we've called the Chipman guy and he explained everything very well regarding insurance, etc. If we decide to change companies, what's the best way to cancel? I'm sure it's just moving jitters but I don't feel quite as comfortable with Schick/Allied as I did before. They really didn't want to send us anything regarding extra charges and they never did. :shock:

BigLeeCalif

Re: OC (Socal) to Cin, OH Allied or United?

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:24 pm

I used to work in the Chipman Concord, CA office and they are a good company for moves.

In addition, Chipman has its' own claims department in Benicia, CA, and most claims are resolved within 30 days of filing.

Before you cancel with Allied, perhaps remind the guy that he didn't give you the rights and responsibilities booklet. It may have been he was busy, and just overlooked it.

The other thing is to ask him to put in writing that there will be no additional charges, even if he has to note it on your estimate. It is unusual, but I have seen our United sales people do it in unusual situations.

Depending on when you plan to move, there shouldn't be a cancellation fee, but before I would cancel, I would check with them to see if your dates can be met, and certainly with Chipman before you cancel Allied.

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:17 pm

BigLeeCalif wrote:I used to work in the Chipman Concord, CA office and they are a good company for moves.

In addition, Chipman has its' own claims department in Benicia, CA, and most claims are resolved within 30 days of filing.

Before you cancel with Allied, perhaps remind the guy that he didn't give you the rights and responsibilities booklet. It may have been he was busy, and just overlooked it.

The other thing is to ask him to put in writing that there will be no additional charges, even if he has to note it on your estimate. It is unusual, but I have seen our United sales people do it in unusual situations.

Depending on when you plan to move, there shouldn't be a cancellation fee, but before I would cancel, I would check with them to see if your dates can be met, and certainly with Chipman before you cancel Allied.

Lee

First of all its the law to and you have to give the FMSCA rights and responsibilty hand book. No ifs and buts. Shick is a good firm. But Chipman is a great firm.

2nd point. Neither Shick or Chipman would ever charge you for cancellation unless perhaps they had delivered you some boxes. If that was the case you just need to pay for the materials that they had provided. But you will find that LEGITIMATE MOVERS do not charge cancellation fees or charge your for a deposit on a move.

Allied, Atlas, Bekins, United, Mayflower, Arpin, North American Never ask for or charge a Deposit. Only the ROUGE MOVERS feel a need to do this.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:52 pm

Most movers provide the booklet at the time the estimate is given, but the regulations say the following:

What other information must my mover provide me?

At the time your mover provides a written estimate, it must provide you with a copy of the U.S. Department of Transportation publication FMCSA-ESA-03-005 entitled "Ready to Move?" (or its successor publication). Before your mover executes an order for service for a shipment of household goods, your mover must furnish you with the following four documents:

1. The contents of Appendix A, "Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move"—this booklet.

2. A concise, easy-to-read, accurate summary of your mover's arbitration program.

3. A notice of availability of the applicable sections of your mover's tariff for the estimate of charges, including an explanation that you may examine the tariff sections, or have copies sent to you upon request.

4. A concise, easy-to-read, accurate summary of your mover's customer complaint and inquiry handling procedures. Included in this summary must be the following two items:

(a) The main telephone number you may use to communicate with your mover.

(b) A clear and concise statement concerning who must pay for telephone calls.

Your mover may, at its discretion, provide additional information to you.

I wouldn't discount the Allied guy just because he didn't give the booklet.
Maybe their policy is to give it at the time an order for service is executed.
Some agents don't have huge sums of books that they can give on every estimate. I remember there was a time they were changing so often that United started sending out addendum pages to add, rather than complete booklets.

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:02 am

Could somebody please learn how to spell ROGUE and SCHICK and stop using bold font unnecessarily? It is coming through as semi-literate shouting.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:24 am

amen

Return to “Open Community”