Anyone have experience with Excel Moving/Mayflower, CA?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
sdinkins

Anyone have experience with Excel Moving/Mayflower, CA?

Postby sdinkins » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:07 pm

I need a moving company based in the SF/Bay Area that will move a one-bedroom apartment to Indiana. Anyone have any experience with:

Excel Moving Services, Inc. (Mayflower Transport Company)
Cal P.U.C.T-182288
30047 Ahern Avenue, Union City
800 392 3596

Nancy

Re: Anyone have experience with Excel Moving/Mayflower, CA?

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:31 am

As a general reply to all of your posts, you can check out these movers with the PUC, www.ca.puc.gov or the CMSA www.thecmsa.org .

The PUC would not have specific jurisdiction over your move, since you are not moving within the state of California. However, it's always good to check out their local reputation. You need to check out the carriers as well, in this case that is Mayflower Van Lines. They are the ones liable on your interstate move.

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:01 am

:twisted: :evil: i used this company and paid with a credit card which i gave to the driver of the truck. two days later my credit card information was used by unknown persons for hotels in florida and airline tickets, internet service and other things.

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:54 am

Bruce Owashi is the owner and is very customer focused. call and talk to him personally. They are a quality minded company.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:24 am

When I worked for Caton Moving before my friend and the owner Jerry Caton, suffered a career ending broken leg (he's a paraplegic), we were solely Mayflower, and I worked with Excel on many occasions.

Their hauling fleet wasn't as extensive as ours, so we sometimes ended up hauling each other's orders.

As the other guest said, Bruce is a good manager and customer service oriented, but Excel is no longer the old Excel in terms of ownership.

The one negative factor that I found when working with them on orders they hauled is a few years ago they were bought out by Select Van & Storage of Omaha, and all paperwork has to go there and be processed, which adds to delays in communication.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

mov1

Postby mov1 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:54 am

Wink Smith the owner of Select is a good guy and Bruce still runs the Excell location. Select is a top Hauler for Mayflower

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:31 am

Yup I know.

I met Wink when he tried to buy Caton.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:55 am

Lee, I have been confused about Caton. Does it still exist as a Mayflower agent? It seems to have the same address as Chipman Concord. Did you move from Caton to Chipman after Jerry became a paraplegic? Was this the same accident you were injured in?
Last edited by Diane on Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:01 pm

Diane only a couple of things you have a little misligned.

Jerry Caton was the owner of Caton Moving. He sold his business to John Chipman after he was injured, and decided to retire to his home along the river in Jackson.

His original deal with Chipman was after 2 years the Caton name would vanish and become Chipman Relocations. The only problem was that Caton was such a widely known and respected name Chipman reconsidered and kept the name Caton.

And yes, Caton and Chipman both share the Concord office. Joe Alves is the General Manager of the terminal, and both agencies. Sheila Pierce is the Operations Manager of the Caton agency.

All the Caton staff joined Chipman after the merger, because the offices had to be run independantly. I was the only person that did rating, billing, and problem solving for both van lines. (United and Mayflower)

And the accident that caused me to give up driving for 8 yrs was a rear end crash that had my life flashing in front of my eyes...

But now that my eyes are better, I'm back into the freeway gridlock like everyone else.

Check your email

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:53 pm

Here's Jerry Caton's photo from the website of the company he started:
http://www.catonmoving.com/ (history)
Last edited by Diane on Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:56 pm

Jerry was a class act all the way.

In 1995 he paid $1000 each for 12 employees to attend an 11 week Dale Carnegie self improvement course....

California moving has lost a legend to early retirement.

Return to “Open Community”