ALERT - avoid Strong Arms Moving & Storage (NJ)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
BHamel

ALERT - avoid Strong Arms Moving & Storage (NJ)

Postby BHamel » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:59 pm

I found this moving company located in Hackensack NJ called Strong Arms Moving and Storage. Everything checks out ok with their US DOT and MC numbers. I was comfortable with the move until I called them to ask if they could come earlier than planned as there is a storm in Florida and I did not want them to get caught in it. They said that they would call me back in 15 min and they never did. So now I am checking them out more so and I found out that their MCS-150 FORM DATE is 6-17-2005. They have 1 driver and one truck listed and their BIPD insurance says $0!!!! So I am now worried! They are supposed to be here the day after tomorrow to move my stuff!!!! What do I do? Can anyone recomend a mover that will move under 300 cubic feet of stuff? I am moving such a small amount of things that I am just thinking I should ship it UPS!!! Please help...... i am moving from Boston Ma to Hernando, Fl

MusicMom

Re: Anyone ever heard of Strong Arms Moving in N.J.? I need

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:05 pm

This is actually a GOOD thing that happened. Were they actually going to go through with a move for you? Because everything does NOT check out with their FMCSa report, since they do not have a license.

http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ame=STRONG^ARMS^MOVING^~^STORAGE^LLC&pv_pref_docket=MC528458&pv_ <snip>usdot_no=1385516&pv_vpath=LIVIEW

They applied on June 24, but since they have no insurance (as you noted) they were not given the license. Any moves they are performing are ILLEGAL! What date did you originally get in touch with them to schedule the move, and where did you find them?

Have you paid them a deposit? If so, I'll tell you how to get it back.

Why don't you call them back first thing tomorrow morning, and tell them what you found. Tell them your concern for their wellbeing helped you find out they have no concern for yours.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:26 pm

Don't move with them. MusicMom is right, this is a blessing in disguise. If you really have to get out of your residence in two days, you may have to move your things to a storage facility. Or, call ABF U-Pack at www.upack.com because in the past they have been able to supply a trailer on short notice. You will have to find a place where the trailer can be parked or else take your things to the ABF terminal. You have only about 5 linear feet in an ABF trailer, which is their minimum at the terminals so that might be perfect for you. Then all you have to do is find a way to move your goods to the terminal.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:30 pm

If they shoudl show up, send them on their merry way.

The UPS might be an alternative to consider. If you have no furniture, or have no problem parting with it, then do go ahead and mail the boxes to your new place. This saves people money, you have a better idea of when it will arrive (and it's usually quicker)

BHamel

Postby BHamel » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:33 pm

They contacted me through movingbids.com and sent me an estimate of $972 for the full service move. I have not given them any money I was supposed to give them 640 this friday when they cam to pick up my stuff. What I liked about them was the fact they were charging by cubic foot not by weight. But I am going to give them a call tomorrow ang ask them about what I found here. Thanks

I need some advice on finding someone who can move a very small amout of stuff..... that has been my problem most movers will not move you if you do not have the min. Should I just sell my furniture and ship my boxes USPS?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:47 pm

Your estimate is way too low for the amount of stuff you have and the distance. I must state in the strongest possible terms: YOU WILL BE SCAMMED if you go with this company. They are too new to have amassed any complaints--I checked their BBB report. I agree with MusicMom. If you have mainly boxes, sell your furniture and mail boxes to yourself. Someone said that DHL has good rates and you can use USPS media rate mail for books, papers, and CDs.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:48 pm

Curious, what about Cubic Feet appealed to you over weight? Did they tell you something about how it was a better option?

Just so you know, any mover that quotes in cubic feet should be avoided. Weight is verifiable, C.F. is not.

Please let us know what they say in reference to your newfound knowledge.

If you are willing to part with the little furniture you have, then mail everything. But call ABF first to see if they can help you. If not, then have fun shopiing for new things for your new place.

Ty

Postby Ty » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:58 pm

The SOLE reason for a moving company to base their pricing on cubic feet is to lay the foundation for a juicy pricing scam at your expense. Here's how it works:

Under federal law, a weight-based estimate can only be exceeded by a maximum of 10 percent. There is no cap on excess charges for cubic-foot estimates. Meaning a mover is free to double, triple, quadruple etc. the price at will, with NO protection for the customer.

Also, federal law grants you the right to challenge/contest charges if the charges are based on weight.

However, if the charges are based on cubic feet you have NO rights to challenge and you must pay whatever the moving company says. Even if their claim is absurd or illogical. For example, we have seen cases where the mover charged the customer for 4000 cubic feet even though the total volume of the trailer was only 2000 cubic feet.

The victim had no recourse but to pay the ransom, which came up to several thousand dollars more than the agreed upon "binding" estimate. Any customer who agrees to pay based on cubic feet is likely to find themselves in the same predicament.

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:18 pm

I wonder if they are related to the "American Made Strong Arm" scam operationg that was based out of Philly?
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

BHamel

Postby BHamel » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:09 pm

I talked to them today and cancled the truck. I tried to talk to an owner/manager but he was out of the office... So the gentleman I talked to asked why and I told him what I found out here with them having NO Ins. He got a little upset and said " Well you know we send in our update information and it takes them 2 months to update their data base." I laughed him off and said well I trust them more so than you....... LOL
So any how I have sold what little furniture I had and sent out all but three boxes today! Total cost $204.00!!! Thank you so much for showing me that detail that I missed!!! So a few more boxes and I'm out of here the 27th! YAY! Thanks Again....

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:48 pm

Hey, you're welcome! Now, did you pay them any deposit?

Have fun shopping for new furniture!

[Tyrone, I looked into the Strong Arm name coincidence because of another person's problems, but they are not related, that I can find]

BHamel

Postby BHamel » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:20 am

No MusicMom I didn't.... I do not have a credit card so I was supposed to give them 70% at pick up and then the rest at delivery.... So glad that I am not having them move my stuff it is so much cheaper via USPS and UPS!

Don't Shoot

Postby Don't Shoot » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:30 am

Shouldn't the name have given them away? It's like a slot I saw in Vegas..."Money to Burn" No thanks...

cruisey2k

Postby cruisey2k » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:22 am

Thank you Moving Scam. I was just called by this company and thought that it was fishy that their quote for my move from MA to CA was only 972, 100 less than ABF's special deal they were giving me. I will stick with ABF. :) Thanks agaion!

Phillyguy

Postby Phillyguy » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:46 pm

I have a friend who referred me to this company. He was set to move last week and I am set to move in 2 weeks. I have already paid my deposit.

His experience was a nightmare. His quote was for $1200. They were late on the pick-up and they were terrible with the drop-off. They charged my friend $5100 based on cubic feet, over 4 times the quote!!!

They had guarenteed a Saturday drop-off for my friend. After they picked up my friend's stuff, they said they may have to drop his stuff off on Friday. My friend had to rearrange his flight for the drop-off. Then, the movers didn't show up until Saturday after all...and later in the day.

I haven't even gotten the whole story from my friend, but obviously I need to cancel my move with Strong Arms. Does anyone know how I can get my deposit back????

Return to “Open Community”