FlatRate Moving Systems Santa Moncia, CA?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Richardjj

FlatRate Moving Systems Santa Moncia, CA?

Postby Richardjj » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:12 am

First, thanks for such a great web site and Forum! It's wonderful to have help with making a moving company decision. :D

I'm moving from Santa Monica, CA to Ventura, CA and was wondering if anyone here has used Flat Rate Moving Systems in Santa Monica. There are post in the Forum about Flat Rate in New York, but a search here did not find anything about them here in Los Angeles.

I spoke with a gal from their Santa Monica office who said they could send an estimator out to give me a "flat rate" price after seeing all our stuff to be moved, or I could simply tell her over the phone what I had to move verbally.

I chose the over the phone route by walking through my two bedroom apartment and telling her about everything that I would be moving with them.

She emailed me a qoute of $1,365.00 for moving a two bedroom apartment full of what I believe is pretty typical stuff.

This amount sounds pretty high so I'm a bit relunctant to now go with them now. :?

Here's some information about them:

FlatRate Moving Systems
713 Broadway
Santa Monica, CA 90401

DOT #488466

http://www.flatrate.com/LA/index.asp

Thank you all in advance for any input you can provide! :D

Richardjj

Nancy

Re: FlatRate Moving Systems Santa Moncia, CA?

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:20 am

Phone quotes are illegal for Intra California moves. You should check out the consumer information at www.thecmsa.org

Any estimate that is to be valid and binding MUST be an in-home estimate. All rates in California are either by the hour or the mile, FLAT rates are also illegal.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:22 am

Nancy is correct.

Also, Flat Rate has just opened an office in the Los Angeles area so we have no reviews as yet. Here is a post in which I outlined some of the issues with Flat Rate for interstate moves - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8541 (second page)
Bottom line - I would be hesitant to use Flat Rate for your move.

I don't know how their rates would compare, but I would suggest that you get a quote from Delancey Street-Los Angeles (phone 323-890-2300), which has performed very well for people here. They would probably quote by the hour. Here is the review thread for Delancey Street Movers - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2377
If possible, ask to speak with Aaron Koustic (KOOS tik), who is the head guy, and don't be put off if the workers don't sound as smooth as a sales rep for Flat Rate (for example).
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:30 am

Since you are in Santa Monica, I'd be curious to see what their trucks and warehouse look like. That address is a heavily retail area, I can't see a moving facility being there.

Movers who operate in offices and rent trucks are to be avoided. There isn't a large capitol investment in the operation, and they could pick up and move at any time. We also recommend using movers who have been in business 5+ years.

PetiteSyrah

Postby PetiteSyrah » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:48 pm

XPosted with other threads:

I had a good experience with FlatRate.com, moving from Los Angeles to NYC.

They came to my apartment (basically a 1BR, moving very little furniture but close to 30 boxes of books) for the in house estimate, and the bid came in at $2120 for a full-pack move with two dropoffs. . Mayflower's bid was well over $6000, Sterling was over $5000. So, on a budget, we went with Flat Rate.

They showed up early, packed up, were in contact with me during the move, and showed up when they said they would--in consultation with my schedule. One thing you should know is that they seemed to sub-contract to CA-NY Express. But, all of my stuff arrived in one piece, well-packed, and they were very responsive. They charged me exactly what the bid had been.

I would use them again. And when I called Delancey Street--which would have been my first choice hands-down, they told me they don't do any long-distance moves.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:50 pm

That's odd because Delancey does do long-distance moves, many of which are described in their review thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2377

I feel very apprehensive about the idea of Flat Rate contracting out to California-New York Express, which has bad comments here. You may have had a good experience but I would strongly caution others against using Flat Rate for anything other than a local move.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:07 pm

Diane something about a $6000 bid for a 1 br with 30 boxes of books doesn't even sound right. Mayflower should be at around 62 - 64% discount right now, so that should be more in the line of $2500 - $3000 net.

Even if you up the cube factor to 50lbs per box, that's only 1500 lbs for books.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:53 pm

I agree that $6000 sounds out of line and that something seems wrong with what "PetiteSyrah" is saying. That's why I said, "You may have had a good experience" (emphasis on may). We don't really know whether the poster is on the up and up or whether he/she may actually work for Flat Rate.

markymark

Postby markymark » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:11 pm

I also had a bid from Flat Rate and Delancey. I decided to go with delancey because they came in a a weight that I thought was pretty darned accurate. The estimators were EARLY and very curteous and returned my calls and faxes promptly. they are picking up this coming tuesday and I"ll update this site as my move progresses.

Delancey DOES interstate moves and that's why I chose them. Flat rate estimated based on cubic feet not weight. I didn't think this was very accurate.

thanks
Mark

Return to “Open Community”