What to do now?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Evelyn

What to do now?

Postby Evelyn » Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:15 pm

I am moving from the San Jose area to Washington DC and was wondering if anyone had heard of these companies. I have done some research on them from the Better Business Bureau and I did go online to the How to Find a Reputable Mover. All seem to be in good standing with regulations etc. The estimates are roughly the same too.

Discovery Moving and Storage
30764 San Clemente Street
Hayward CA
DOT : 767236

Advantage Moving and Storage
390 Railroad Ct.
Milpitas, Ca
DOT: 1038505

Pacific Storage Co. (Bekins)
500 East Trimble Road
San Jose Ca
MC 3500

Piedmont Moving Systems
1555 South Seventh Street
San Jose Ca
DOT: 125563

Thank you so much
Evelyn

Josh

Re: What to do now?

Postby Josh » Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:42 pm

Discovery Moving and Storage
30764 San Clemente Street
Hayward CA
DOT : 767236 This one looks acceptable.
But 4 power units and 3 drivers.

Advantage Moving and Storage
390 Railroad Ct.
Milpitas, Ca
DOT: 1038505 This one looks acceptable.
But only 2 power units and 3 drivers.

Pacific Storage Co. (Bekins)
500 East Trimble Road
San Jose Ca
MC 3500 This one looks good! 4 power units and 18 drivers.

Piedmont Moving Systems
1555 South Seventh Street
San Jose Ca
DOT: 125563 This one looks acceptable. This is a Mayflower agency.

It looks like you have done your homework! From what I can see, all companies do look good. I would get pricing for a shuttle at destination if I were you just in case one is needed. You will be able to budget in case you do.

I guess you will need to decide who you felt more comfortable with. If you do have problems with your move, who can you trust.

Scott

Postby Scott » Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:08 am

I used Discovery Moving and Storage in my move from Danville, California to Philadelphia, and I had a bad experience. I was impressed by their low estimate as well as all the "BBB" award letters they sent me. Their agent, Bert/Burt, sounded quite nice on the phone, too. My experience, however, was strikingly similar to the scam that many other first time movers fall into. See this website for details of my experiece:

http://www.thesqueakywheel.com/complain ... nt1622.cfm

I lodged complaints with the BBB in Hayward, which is one of TWO BBB's they are affiliated with. Needless to say, my interactions with Discovery through the Hayward BBB were futile and infuriating. The BBB process only works if the business really cares about customer satisfaction and is willing to work with the consumer, instead of defending its actions to the bitter end and attacking the motives/experience of the unhappy customer. I will _never_ use Discovery Moving and Storage again. Good luck with your selection of movers.

Philly Scott

Postby Philly Scott » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:01 pm

Discovery Moving and Storage is now known as MovingStar Moving and Storage (or "Moving Star Moving & Storage") same license numbers--CAL T #185795, ICC MC #344900 and U.S D.O.T # 767236.

Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:28 pm

Piedmont's forte is in high-value electronics and display and exhibit moves. They do a great job on HHG moves also but most of their domesic shipments are handled by the van line especially during the fall and winter which is when their tradeshow volume increases.

Advantage is Stevens' largest agent in the Bay area and handles HHG moves almost exclusively. A long distance relocation to DC, however, would probably also be handled by the van line.

Return to “Open Community”