upcoming move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
digitinc

upcoming move

Postby digitinc » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:07 pm

I have a terminal lung disease and need to move to a smaller apartment in the same complex I am living in now. Since I cant move anything myself I need a mover that can pretty much pack and move everything for me. I am moving from apt on second floor to an apt on second floor. I have two bdr's full living room, dining room hutch. Nothing real big or heavy. Anyways, I would like to hire a company called ALL About You Moving Inc. out of Tampa, Florida Reg#IM-533 6201 Johns Rd. #9-Tampa, Florida 33634.
They have quoted me an estimate, just from me filling out an inventory form of what I own, of $630.50. Has anyone heard or know anything of them & is this a reasonable price to move my things from one apt to another in same complex? How & when should I pay them. Should I tip movers? I got three estimates and this was middle ground.
Any help would be appreciated!
jeff*

Michael

Re: upcoming move

Postby Michael » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:30 pm

Jeff,

Any mover your considering should first offer to come out to your home. Second they should be offerring you an hourly rate, 2men and a truck is this, 3men and a truck is this and so on. So you can compare the hourly rates. Next you want to ask if they have a minimum amount of hours they will work. A lot of companies have a minimum of 4 hours + an hour travel time. Others will charge a 8 hr minimum to make it worth their while.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:34 pm

Is the apartment you are moving from in the same building as the one you are moving to?

If so, I would recommend contacting Labor Ready, if there is one in your town. go to http://www.laborready.com.

The reason that you do not need a mover if you're moving within the same bldg is most movers will charge you for 2 men and a truck base... They use the reasoning that the truck is out of revenue service during the time it is at your house whether used or not.

Labor ready can provide you with experienced, inexpensive help. You can probably get 3 workers from them for equal to or maybe less than movers would charge for 2.

You didn't say where you were located, and importanly, if you do have to select a mover, don't use one based ANYWHERE but near where you live.
Florida is a hotbed of scam companies.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:06 pm

I agree with Lee. Another thing you could do is call a high-rated company on www.eMove.com. People posting here have had very good luck with workers from there. This company you are considering sounds iffy and I think you should probably dump them unless someone you know well has used them and been pleased. I agree with Lee that you should be quoted an hourly rate and not a binding price. You don't have to hire a moving company if all you need is packing and moving help with no truck involved.

digitinc

Postby digitinc » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:00 pm

To all: I am moving to another building in the same complex so truck will be neccessary! I am going to try to pack everything so only need moving. Will have everything in box's ready to go.
The thing with Labor Ready, my luck I will get two or three drunks hung over and have furniture scratched & broke and TV's broke. My experiences with labor companys is poor quality workers. Would be good though if I get the truck & have them move everything, but will it save any money in long run?
Have hourly quote from Discount Moving Company Inc/Tampa for $95 per hour for two & truck-1hr travel time 15% fuel est.=$765 if 6-hours total! But that is $100 more than All About You's price of $630
Any advise or experiences appreciated!
jeff*

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:09 pm

You are right.. when labor ready first started they had to use less than superior labor, until they implemented their training program.

Now they are a good company, and I don't think here we have had many complaints here.

If you need a truck then you might be better suited to get a moving company
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:12 pm

I would look at www.eMove.com to see whether there are any high-rated companies that sound good, because I think some of them either have their own trucks or will rent one for you.

Also you could sign up for membership here and send a Private Message to "PMueller," a very experienced person who works for Allied in your area, to see whether she knows of trustworthy companies for moves like yours.

Finally, click on the link below my signature and scroll down to "Florida" to see what has been said here about movers in your area. You'll see that a small company in St. Petersburg called Beach Transfer has been highly praised.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:24 am

Hello,
I was considering "All about you" movers myself. I am actually having a difficult time deciding who to use, my move is from Gainesville to Tampa and they quoted me a flat rate of $718.50, which I found odd since you will be in the same complex and its $630...not sure where they get their rates from...

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:31 am

If you look under "Florida" in the summary post linked to above, there is a phone number for the FL movers' association. You could call and run this company's name by them to make sure it is on the up and up. They have helped others in the past.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:49 am

I found an All About You in Tampa MC #485031.

Maybe I'm just cynical but I don't even like the name of their blanket company.... Evilsizor Transportation Services.

Sounds almost like insult on top of injury.

Anyway this company has 3 trucks, but 14 drivers... And only has had authority since July 2005.

Read this review of movers by Diane. Scroll down till you find movers in Florida.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8038

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:08 am

Please do not use a company that does not come to your home or apt to estimate your move! I am not familiar with this company or their services, which I'm skeptical of. In the Tampa area, you have the major carrier's offices which are (in no particular order):

Atlantic Relocation (Atlas)
Lincoln Moving (Atlas)
Cook/Tampa Bay (United)
Suddath (United)
Blocker Transfer (Allied)
Werner Donaldson (Allied)
Tampa Bay Moving Systems (Mayflower)
St Pete Moving & Storage (Mayflower)

All of the above would send a rep to your home and provide an in home, written estimate of services needed, even if you decide to go with a smaller mover, an independant - they should also do the same. I recommend contacting a few and doing a comparison.

Since stairs are involved, it would be normal to have 3 men perform your services. The hourly rate should range from $115-140 per hour in this area. Most companies have at least a 4-hour minimum plus 1 hour travel. Our company during the summer has a 6-hour minimum.

The quote you received of $630.50 was this just for moving or did it include some packing, If packing included it does not appear to be very much. Also, were they aware of 2 flights of stairs? Be very cautious with this company. They may quote this amount, but after the move is over you could be paying alot more than this amount. You are a prime target for unethical companies. They prey on single, elderly, and customers with health issues. They have all of your stuff on the truck and you need your items delivered to the next apartment - they tell you they have exceeded the time estimated and you now owe them $1000.00, what are you going to do? You will be forced to pay them if you want your items delivered and they know it!

I'm not a big fan of 2 men and a truck in most areas, however I will say the one in Tampa is a decent organization. I would feel more comfortable with the use of them as opposed to this unknown "ALL about you".

Please consider scheduling some companies to come and estimate in your home before deciding. Also, please make sure everyone you consider has a FL registration number. This number should be listed on their estimates, if it is not ask for it, contact the number that someone provided in an earlier post in Tallahassee and check on the services with that registration number.

PLEASE USE CAUTION!!

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:27 am

PMueller has given you information from a source some of us others are unable to.... first hand knowledge of Florida....

Don't remember being introduced Ms Mueller.... Greetings

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:54 am

Hello Big Lee!

I'm sorry my presence on the site has really been down the past few months. I am currently responding mostly to private messages as the message board is so active!! After running appointments all day- starting early and returning late it's impossible for me to handle my family and continue the contact with my clients and keep up. I'm just not as talented as I use to be, my age is definately catching up with me. I admire the volunteers that provide so much information. Keep up the great work everyone! If needed, please PM me and I will respond.

Return to “Open Community”