Head spinning quotes from 3 movers (NYC to West Coast)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Diane

Re: Head spinning quotes from 3 movers (NYC to West Coast)

Postby Diane » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:24 am

moving2006,

Also remember that a rep will sometimes quote very high if he doesn't want the shipment for some reason. In this case the reason could be that he knows that the shipment will have to wait in his warehouse for an Atlas truck to swing by, causing you a delay, and also, picking up the shipment from NYC will take a company truck out of commission that could otherwise be used to do profitable local or short-distance moves. This is just speculation, but I have seen similar things happen with other companies in other years. By discouraging your move, this rep could be subtly encouraging you to go with a carrier like Hall-Lane that may perform better for you by doing a faster self-haul with no transfers. In addition, as I said, he is freeing up a company truck that could be used to accommodate someone else with a shorter-distance move. Kapish? It has nothing to do with liking or not liking you as a person.

I keep feeling that you want to go with University for some reason, possibly because you liked the rep best. (If so, I don't blame you - he is special.) But you should make this decision rationally and not emotionally.

moving2006

Postby moving2006 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:36 am

No emotion at all. This is a completely rational process for me and thusly get concerned when things don't add up.

Just seeking everything upfront.

Maybe you are correct about Atlas not wanting the gig, that's cool.

As for Hall Lane and Mayflower, the fundamental difference is dotting I's and crossing T's and so far Mayflower has done that with regards to itemizing our inventory. Hall Lane is missing some stuff, stuff that could cause me grief from this end or the other.

By chance, Diane, do you work for one these companies?

moverjim

Postby moverjim » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:38 am

they were all shown the same thing with the same descriptions, etc.

Mayflower seems to have given the best itemization of our stuff while Hall-Lane was a bit all over the map with some errors (out door furniture listed as beds, etc.).

It is your responsibility to make sure the estimate includes ALL you wish to ship including a correct carton count. If the estimators used current technology, you should have a room by room item count and easily assess who is correct. Or have the estimator correct the inventory to show exactly what's going.
A chaisse lounge is NOT a bed and should be listed as something close to what it actually is. So there is no dispute on loading day.

- Can one be moved on the weekend?

Yes, but you may have to pay an overtime charge as mentioned by BigLee.
Some agents will provide straight time help on a Saturday so the driver can waive the Overtime fee.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:49 am

moving2006 wrote:By chance, Diane, do you work for one these companies?

No - I'm a college professor in Los Angeles (anthropologist). I'm trying to figure out the moving business just like you are. At times it seems to me like an alien culture that has to be deciphered. :wink:

In terms of actual first-hand knowledge of these companies, I visited the office and warehouse of University in Rahway when I was in NJ for a meeting related to my work. I met both owners, the office staff, and two of their three sales reps - Bill and Mike. I've talked with the third one (Scott) on the phone. I've talked with a higher-up at Dahill (Bruce Keeler) extensively on the phone but have never visited their facility and have never talked with their reps (Chris and Jay are the ones I know about). Dahill is on my list to visit the next time I'm in NYC. I don't know anything about Hall-Lane and have never even talked with anyone on the phone there. My interest in that company comes from having searched for months/years for a good United agent in the NY metro area to recommend to people. It just seemed to me that people posting here were happiest with the Hall-Lane reps, and also, it's a company with a lot of trucks so it would be likely to self-haul shipments, a plus. There was one bad move with Hall-Lane, but it was the United Van Lines driver who was at fault, not Hall-Lane.

I've been following this messageboard for more than three years, and I can tell you that your chance of a driver protesting that the rep underestimated the weight or number of items is vanishingly small. There could be a few grumbles, but not a formal protest.

moving2006

Postby moving2006 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:08 pm

Here is one he left off.. weights (about 200lbs) and weight bench.

He made us of a PDA, so I didn't get a chance to see it until he left.

I can see me on moving day... driver, sign this addedum....

See what I mean..

I guess moving and the companies that do it can make for an interesting book or movie... living it, no thanks.

My newest and biggest issue is the car and I see no clear choice for this, even looking through the auto transport thread.

Any suggestions?

Diane wrote:
moving2006 wrote:By chance, Diane, do you work for one these companies?

No - I'm a college professor in Los Angeles (anthropologist). I'm trying to figure out the moving business just like you are. At times it seems to me like an alien culture that has to be deciphered. :wink:

In terms of actual first-hand knowledge of these companies, I visited the office and warehouse of University in Rahway when I was in NJ for a meeting related to my work. I met both owners, the office staff, and two of their three sales reps - Bill and Mike. I've talked with the third one (Scott) on the phone. I've talked with a higher-up at Dahill (Bruce Keeler) extensively on the phone but have never visited their facility and have never talked with their reps (Chris and Jay are the ones I know about). Dahill is on my list to visit the next time I'm in NYC. I don't know anything about Hall-Lane and have never even talked with anyone on the phone there. My interest in that company comes from having searched for months/years for a good United agent in the NY metro area to recommend to people. It just seemed to me that people posting here were happiest with the Hall-Lane reps, and also, it's a company with a lot of trucks so it would be likely to self-haul shipments, a plus. There was one bad move with Hall-Lane, but it was the United Van Lines driver who was at fault, not Hall-Lane.

I've been following this messageboard for more than three years, and I can tell you that your chance of a driver protesting that the rep underestimated the weight or number of items is vanishingly small. There could be a few grumbles, but not a formal protest.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:48 pm

It sounds as if the Hall-Lane rep wasn't careful. However, I repeat, the chances of your having to sign an addendum are vanishingly small. If you would like to send me a PM with your impressions of the different reps, I would be interested and wouldn't post it attributing it to you.

Where are you moving to on the West Coast? That would affect my recommendation of an auto transport company.

moving2006

Postby moving2006 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:52 pm

Will do.

Mid-August 2006 is when I'm looking to get it out there.

Diane wrote:It sounds as if the Hall-Lane rep wasn't careful. However, I repeat, the chances of your having to sign an addendum are vanishingly small. If you would like to send me a PM with your impressions of the different reps, I would be interested and wouldn't post it attributing it to you.

Where are you moving to on the West Coast? That would affect my recommendation of an auto transport company.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:56 pm

No . . . WHERE are you moving to on the West Coast?

moving2006

Postby moving2006 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:00 pm

Diane wrote:No . . . WHERE are you moving to on the West Coast?

LA

moverjim

Postby moverjim » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:07 pm

the rep underestimated the weight or number of items is vanishingly small. There could be a few grumbles, but not a formal protest.

Small chance but still a probability. If you want a HAPPY DRIVER (No grumbles) you make sure all items are listed.
Have you found a place to live in LA? Many areas on the Westside of town may require a Parking Permit to reserve a place for the van to park. The permit is $20 in LA and more in Beverly Hills or West Hollywood.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:35 pm

moving2006,

Regarding your car, the company with the best record of consistently good performance on this website is Coast to Coast Auto Transport, run by Ben Deere in Idaho. However, Coast to Coast doesn't service CA or any of the southwestern states. I believe that it does service TX.

You can try calling two companies recommended by Coast to Coast. This is what someone just posted about them on our Auto Transporters thread:
rcrew wrote:At any rate, Im moving my Range Rover from Miami to Oakland in the Aug 9-13 window, and although I was sorry to hear Coast to Coast doesn't service these routes, I was encouraged to hear that A Florida Direct and Golden Key Express comes recommended by them. I called both and essentially got the same quote ($1,250, includes everything, no hidden charges), but more importantly, I got the voices of two stand-up individ's, Charlene @ Florida, and Harold (owner) @ Golden, which goes along way to allay the fears/reservations that come with navigating this territory.

Im going w/ A Florida Direct. Yes they are a broker and a carrier but I found out for the East to West coast moves they only use the trucks they own. The do not contract out for this route, which Im happy to hear, its a long distance. And they accept credit cards which is a plus for me. Their insurance is primary so I have to figure out what that means to me. I didnt book b/c Charlene said they have trucks that srvc that route every two weeks and to call back two weeks b/f I need my car picked up to schedule pick-up. - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 4652#64652

A Florida Direct - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 4718#44718 Website at http://www.afldir.com/
Golden Key Express - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 1267#61267 (and following post) Website at www.goldenkeyexpress.com.
Someone posted that Golden Key was already booked up through mid-August, so I'm not sure they would have availability. They are very small.

If neither of these companies can accommodate you, you could try calling Ben Deere at www.coasttocoastautotransport.com and ask him for another recommendation. Ideally, you want a company that owns its own trucks (not a broker).

Glad to Help

Postby Glad to Help » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:33 pm

Hall Lane has very few trucks and have not been a significant hauler or booker since the 1980's. Chances are slim that they would haul your shipment themselves to the West Coast. The few drivers that they have are all very good and they are an honest company if that helps. The big hauler for United in NYC is the Liberty in Haupauge. Mayflower is weak in hauling to the West Coast in the NYC area. Dahill and Molloy each only have one West coast driver. This means chances are they will not be hauling you either. Any of the agents mentioned would most likely do an pretty good job from you provided that they direct loaded and hauled your shipment. When a shipment is APU, agent pick up, and not loaded directly on the trailer that is going cross country you greatly increase your chance of having damages and/or missing items.

Hope this helps

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:59 pm

Thanks so much for this good info, Glad to Help. My information on Hall-Lane comes from a guy who was active in the industry 20 years ago, so it is dated. Hall-Lane is, however, telling a lot of customers that it will self-haul to various long-distance locations. I don't know whether the reps are actually fibbing or whether they are saying they will self-haul when they mean that United Van Lines will haul.

I am not too happy with the way Liberty looks despite the fact that you say that it is a big hauler for United.

Are there any United agents in New Jersey with large hauling fleets that would service the NYC market? I gather that Holman would, but people have said that it doesn't seem too interested in the COD market.

SusanF

Postby SusanF » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:05 pm

We are using Holman as private individuals. They picked up on July 12th and are to deliver in TX on the 19th. We did not get any indication from them, when the sales rep came for the estimate, that their corporate relocations were posing any issue with them taking our job. Indeed, we asked for the p.u. on July 12, and got that date. Our dentist is also moving (Nyack NY) to Las Vegas in August and she also is using Holman.

So I think they're worth calling. I will say that they are so dominated by corporate moves that the woman on the phone that we dealt with in the days before the pickup seemed perplexed at our asking to see the weighings. I think this person was just unaccustomed to dealing with private moves, and was also dealing with what looked to be bad/antique software.

I will post about the delivery once that has occurred.

Return to “Open Community”