Driving the truck from Chicago to LA - Am I insane?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Cereal

Driving the truck from Chicago to LA - Am I insane?

Postby Cereal » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:16 pm

We will be moving from the midwest to LA this summer and I had planned to rent a truck from Penske and drive it ourselves as opposed to a full-service move. I have a lot of experience driving big trucks and driving cross-country, although this will be the longest drive & biggest load yet - with a 22-26 foot truck and a trailer with our car strapped on top. Plus we have a cat and I'm not sure how comfy it will be with her and her litterbox in the cabin. :)

I haven't read any experiences from those that have or are planning to to the drive themselves. Although money isn't really a concern, we would save almost 4k with this option.

Am I the only one attempting to do this?

MusicMom

Re: Driving the truck from Chicago to LA - Am I insane?

Postby MusicMom » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:15 pm

My husband and father drove a Corolla from VA to MI, packed up a 17-foot Uhaul, loaded the Corolla on a full trailer (plus cargo box on the roof of the car), and drove to Portland OR. I imagine there was a little more bonding than they had expected, and the truck scared them silly on the mountains (there was one instance of a Red Ryder wagon apparently leaping from the side of the road to play chicken), but they made it in one piece. Just take it easy and check the car's straps at every stop. Plan for a lot of gas money.

If they can survive taht trip (in a UHaul, no less!), you can do it.

Your cat may need to be sedated. Talk to her vet.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:15 pm

Have you done a fuel calculation, based on the mpg of a penske (or any rental truck)?

Chicago to L.A. isn't across the state.. and if you're going to be doing it in the next couple of months, you will have the summer heat to deal with.

I'm near L.A., and the temp is averaging around 90 - 100 right now...

Death Valley was 121 today.

For what you spend on fuel and truck rental, you might be able to get a nice rate from BE or ABF... Then the only fuel you have to deal with fuel for your car.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:43 pm

Broadway Express would charge $4130 to move 19 linear feet of stuff from Chicago to Los Angeles. 19 feet holds the equivalent of a 24-foot rental truck because the inside dimensions of the BE trucks are larger. You could look into the price for a Penske truck and add the cost of gas and see how it compares.

Cereal

Postby Cereal » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:02 pm

Thanks for your responses!

MusicMom: I'm, a little nervous about the rockies with such a large vehicle. I've driven through the smokies several times and am always grateful when that part of the trip is over :)

BigLeeCalif: Unfortunately I have a brand new sports car and I am wary of driving it long distance. I'm curious why you mentioned the heat - Penske has always rented me nearly new trucks - but should I be more concerned about overheating with a larger vehicle? Gas at 6 miles per $3 gallon of diesel would be 1k.

Diane: Total cost for the trip (plus my fuel calculation above) with renting a truck would be about $2200. BE's quote at $4130 + plane fare & auto transport would be at about 6k.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:09 pm

seems like you have done your homework, so that being said, you probably have determined that doing it yourself can save a substantial cost....

Remember, you might be young, but unless you think you're the snowman (from Smokey and the Bandit) don't try to drive till your eyelids pop out.

Take it easy, and establish a daily goal of how far you wish to travel.
Estimate the distance and location you figure you'd be around sunset every evening, and plan that as your nightly lodging and meal stop.

You might want to acclimate your cat for a bit prior to the actual move to whichever type of carrier you'll be transporting it in. And remember to give the cat lots of tlc, because travelling isn't one of a feline's most passionate pastimes.

And welcome to California.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:46 am

I'm currently doing the same thing, and found the a Penske truck with trailer (for my needs) plus gas would cost about $800. ABF (trailer) quotes $784. BE quoted $1566.

If you haven't yet, call ABF. But then again, this would stilll need to get your car there.... Hmmm...

Again, I'll mention that the Uhaul with my guys went over the Rockies just fine.

Cereal

Postby Cereal » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:53 am

I just realized I can't get the car carrier with Penske because I have 18-inch wheels. It's also a rear-wheel drive car with sports suspension so I can't tow it with the dolly. Unless I can find another towing option, I guess I'll have to go with BE and drive the car.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:57 am

In case nobody's told you, you can put the car on the trailer with BE. See the bottom of this thread:

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=225

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:52 pm

I just drove from Chicago to LA, but that was in my car. I'm having my stuff shipped because I don't think I could do the drive. The drives through the Rocky Mountains and the Canyons of Utah are demanding and were slightly challenging in my car. I don't know how truck drivers do it in their trucks.

interstate move

Postby interstate move » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:00 am

My boyfriend and I drove from Chicago to Loma Linda, CA with a 22 Penske truck and we towed his car. We had a great experience with no problems. We drove thru St. Loius, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona into California avoiding most of the mountains. We made it in two and a half days and we did stop both evenings to get a good nights sleep. It was overall a great experience and we saw a lot of the country. I would go the route that we did and not thru Colorado to avoid the mountains. One piece of advice when you are going up the smaller mountains in New Mexico and it is really hot and your truck starts to overheat, turn the heater on. This will prevent your truck from overheating. You may overheat but believe me we saw a few cars and trucks on the side of the road. Hope this helps!!!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:24 am

Thanks, Interstate. I'm going to report this on the Reviews of Rental Van Companies thread.

Return to “Open Community”