Anyone heard of Fixed Price Movers in NY ??

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
amyS

Anyone heard of Fixed Price Movers in NY ??

Postby amyS » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:45 pm

We are moving from Westchester to NC in June. I've had 3 quotes from big companies like Mayflower -Finnegan's and Allied-All Points. Both of those have BBB complains. Another Mayflower-Meyer's looks OK. But guy didnt want to give me a binding estimate. Claimed that he COULD give that, but if they came here to move and found more furniture than what was in original estimate, then it would be null and void. At least all 3 companies had the same amount of weight estimated-so at least the weight amount sounded reasonable.

Someone told me Fixed Price Movers , in New York. DOT-901903.was good. Anyone heard of them?

Thanks!

Diane

Re: Anyone heard of Fixed Price Movers in NY ??

Postby Diane » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:14 pm

Hi - I don't know anything about Finnegans or All Points. Meyers Mayflower has bad comments here from both customers and industry professionals. And this is a thread on Fixed Price explaining its shortcomings - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1376 It has only 3 trucks and drivers listed on www.safersys.org and its interstate license was revoked for a couple of months as recently as a year ago. Be sure to read this article before continuing to look into moving companies. I would recommend avoiding both Meyers and Fixed Price.

In general, United and Atlas agents are better than agents of other van lines. If you can find a United or Atlas agent that will use its own truck to drive your shipment to FL that is a plus. (Some of these agents will be located in NJ or on Long Island.) The Epinions article linked to below may give you a sense of the NYC-area companies that have performed well for people posting here. In addition, the independent company Delancey Street-NY sends a truck to FL about once a month and has excellent reviews. They are in Brewster, NY. This is their thread with reviews and contact information - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2377
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

amyS

Postby amyS » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:57 am

Diane,
Thanks for all of the info. I had read the article"How to find a mover" but I appreciate all of the other links. BTW, I'm moving to North Carolina, but I assume that the same moving companies you recommended would still be OK??? I'll try to find them.

Thanks!

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:53 am

Hi - yes - the advice for NC would be the same as for FL. Many NYC-area companies make regular runs to FL during the busy season that's coming up and they could drop your things in NC on the way. I continue to think that Delancey-NY might be a good fit for you since they are located not too far from Westchester.

amyS

Postby amyS » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:18 am

Ok, Thanks.
I'll check out Delancy and also, I found United and Atlas companies nearby too. I'll check out their records on line first and report back if anything happens with those companies.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:37 pm

But guy didnt want to give me a binding estimate. Claimed that he COULD give that, but if they came here to move and found more furniture than what was in original estimate, then it would be null and void.
See? This is why everyone needs to insist on in-home estimates. If an employee came to your house to see everything to be moved, they couldn't very well claim you had more things at pickup, could they?

amyS

Postby amyS » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:57 pm

Yes, and these ARE in home estimates that I am getting. The moving company said that they have homeowners who get the in home estimate with a binding amount and afterwards, they bring tons of stuff from storage and expect the movers not to raise the price. That was why he didnt want to give me a binding amount. But I still want one. So I will just get more estimates--all in home, of course from somewhere....

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:08 pm

Ok, good on your part.
The moving company said that they have homeowners who get the in home estimate with a binding amount and afterwards, they bring tons of stuff from storage and expect the movers not to raise the price
I wonder how often this actually happens to them? If this does happen, the driver is supposed to "protest" the load and adjust the estimate right then and there, with the homeowner. There will be an inventory list fromt he estiamte to compare the actual contents of the house to, so the driver can say "there was no brand-new 3-seater movie-theater seating system in here on the original estimate, let's adjust the weight and price accordingly."

amyS

Postby amyS » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:23 pm

Hi,
I just wanted to get back to everyone about a successful move. I used V. Santini in Mount Vernon, New York. They were very professional and the final price was $100 more than the estimate. I moved from Wetchester, NY to Chapel Hill NC with 11,280 pounds . Total charge was $6431.10. Nothing was broken or damaged. My belongings arrived on the day promised and were picked up on the day promised. With all of the stresses of moving, I was so pleased with this company and would highly recommend them. I purchased extra insurance but did not need it!
They are an agent of Atlas Van Lines and showed up with both Atlas and Santini on their uniforms and truck. Overall a very good experience.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:34 pm

amy,

Thanks so much for remembering to come back and post. From what you say, this was a self-haul - i.e. V. Santini used its own truck and driver and the driver who picked up your shipment at the residence was the same one who delivered it in FL. If this isn't correct, please let me know.

It sounds as if you had a Nonbinding estimate, since you say that you paid $100 more than the initial estimate (?).

amyS

Postby amyS » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:19 pm

Hi Diane,
Yes, they hauled their own and it was the same driver for pick up and delivery. Also, it was not a binding estimate but based on estimated weight. Also, I had the truck all to myself with only my stuff in it. I had a few days of a delay(a week from pick up until delivery) before I could get into my new house and both the extra days and the personal truck were built into the price.
I would have used Delancy Movers but they couldnt give me the dates I wanted. They only had trucks going at certain times that werent right for me.
Thanks for your advice it really helped.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:51 pm

Great report - thanks and I'll add it to my summary post.

Return to “Open Community”