Large move (24,000 lbs.) DC area to Portland, OR--HELP!!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Ted

Large move (24,000 lbs.) DC area to Portland, OR--HELP!!

Postby Ted » Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:55 am

Planning first interstate move in our lives. We have a very large household load (about 24,000 lbs.) with high-value art, oriental carpets, electronics, Steinway piano. We are scared to death. Self-pack impractical. Must use full service mover.

Would very much appreciate specific carrier recommendations. I can do suggested research, but nothing beats personal references--especially if there is a consensus among many with positive experiences with one mover.

Sounds like we should get our own insurance. Baker? Others?

Thanks--

"Desperate and distraught in DC"
(Actually, Northern Virginia 'burbs)[/b]

twalker
Site Admin

Re: Large move (24,000 lbs.) DC area to Portland, OR--HELP!!

Postby twalker » Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:23 am

Ted,

From your description I would suggest that you don't skimp on your moving budget and I would definitely recommend Baker insurance.

Having lived in Northern Virginia (Sterling) I'm wondering what part of the burbs you're moving from? This would help myself as well as some of the other volunteers recommend companies to get in-home estimates from.

You should at the very least read the article on this site titled "How to Find a Reputable Mover". That should get you going in the right direction, and we can help you sort out companies that you're interested in using.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:40 am

Ted,

There are plenty of good movers in your area. McCollisters is in Alexandria, and Security is in DC. Both are United agents that would have extensive experience moving high value items as you have mentioned.

Like Tim said, this will not be a cheap move. You can purchase additional valuation through your van line, but I would also highly recommend you ask your rep that does your walk through, to explain High Value and a High Value Inventory, from the sounds of it you will need it.

I know there are other reps from other agents, that have good reputations in the area, but off hand am drawing a blank. I am sure others can post a few others to get quotes from. You can always visit the parent companys web sites (allied, graebel, north american) and do an agent search in your area.

Feel free to come back here and post what you find and we can help further.

Best of luck
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Ted

Postby Ted » Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:53 am

Tim-- Thank you so much. I would be delighted to make a contribution to your site. What a great community service you are providing. To answer your question, I am moving from Great Falls, VA to an area in Portland called Dunthorpe. If you can recommend with confidence one or more movers/agents I will be enternally grateful.

twalker wrote:Ted,

From your description I would suggest that you don't skimp on your moving budget and I would definitely recommend Baker insurance.

Having lived in Northern Virginia (Sterling) I'm wondering what part of the burbs you're moving from? This would help myself as well as some of the other volunteers recommend companies to get in-home estimates from.

You should at the very least read the article on this site titled "How to Find a Reputable Mover". That should get you going in the right direction, and we can help you sort out companies that you're interested in using.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Ted

Postby Ted » Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:01 am

Michael--

Thanks for these suggestions. I will check these firms out ASAP. If you think of others, posting additional firms would be greatly appreciated.. "Plenty of good movers" in our area? Wow! I thought I would be lucky to find one.

Michael wrote:Ted,

There are plenty of good movers in your area. McCollisters is in Alexandria, and Security is in DC. Both are United agents that would have extensive experience moving high value items as you have mentioned.

Like Tim said, this will not be a cheap move. You can purchase additional valuation through your van line, but I would also highly recommend you ask your rep that does your walk through, to explain High Value and a High Value Inventory, from the sounds of it you will need it.

I know there are other reps from other agents, that have good reputations in the area, but off hand am drawing a blank. I am sure others can post a few others to get quotes from. You can always visit the parent companys web sites (allied, graebel, north american) and do an agent search in your area.

Feel free to come back here and post what you find and we can help further.

Best of luck

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:04 pm

Ted,

Another major to look at is Atlas. I forgot them when I posted last time. You can go to their home page and do a agent search also. You do the ground and leg work, we can help from there.

Best of luck
Michael

Ted

Postby Ted » Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:59 pm

Thank you, Michael.

My impression is that the selection of the right major is not the critical one--the agents for each major vary so much. The critical decision is not so much to pick the right major, but to pick the right agent of any major. For example, Tim suggested Security in DC (United agent). I checked them out. They look impressive and BBB is ok, if that is anything to go by. Then I went to United and checked the list of its Portland agents to see who would be involved at delivery. Bingo! One of United's agents in Portland is Chipman, an agent well recommended on this site. So, I'm thinking that having Security do the move from DC and Chipman the agent at the Portland end might be a very winning combination (or at least not a losing combination).

The question is: I know I can designate Security, simply by calling them directly; but, can I dictate that Chipman be the agent at the receiving end? Portland BBB says it has received only one complaint about Chipman is the last three years. That sounds pretty amazing to me.

Comments on my reasoning here? Please be frank/brutal if necessary. No ego involved here; just want to make the right decision. That's all that counts. Cheers.

Michael wrote:Ted,

Another major to look at is Atlas. I forgot them when I posted last time. You can go to their home page and do a agent search also. You do the ground and leg work, we can help from there.

Best of luck

Ted

Postby Ted » Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:20 pm

OOPS!! Sorry, Michael. I inadvertently credited Tim with your agent suggestions. Please accept my apology.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:31 pm

Ted, I work for the Chipman office in Concord, CA, and to answer your question, yes you can request Security to name Chipman as your destination agent. Tell them to name United Agent #264 as the destination agent.

Have you already received estimates? Just curious where the 24,000 lbs came from....

You should check your homeowners policy to see if your goods are covered while in transit. And if you go full value coverage, pay the additional cost of zero deductible.

make 3 lists.

1 Things can't do without.
2. Things of sentimental value
3. Things cheaper to replace than move.

You will probably want a full service move, so the packing of your valuables you might want to oversee carefully to ensure things are packed to your specifications and satisfaction.

Also keep track of the carton (it should be labelled properly) that has all of your hardware, remotes, etc for reassembly at destination. It gets frustrating to driver and customer when the shipment arrives at destination, and no one can remember which box has the hardware for putting the beds back together....

Happy Moving.

Lee

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:17 pm

Ted,

Lee is correct. Being he works for Chipman he might be a good ally to have out there.

Second, most home owners does not cover your goods for moving. Most homeowners will only cover you if the truck were to get hit and cause damage to your goods, if something was stolen, or if there was a fire. So if something came off broken, scratched, destroyed, your homeowners does not cover it. The only company I have ever seen cover anyone for a move has been State Farm. So if yours does, distinguish how they do from the two examples above.

Keep in mind that act of god, is not covered under any policy. Therefore if war broke out, if a hurricane hit DC, if the truck went over a cliff in Colorado due to snow, all acts of god, all NOT covered by your valuation through the van line or your homeowners. I believe you can get this addition to your policy through your homeowners policy.

And no problem with the name mix up. I am just glad I didnt get my head bit off for making the recommendation to at least get a quote from them.

Best of luck
Michael

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:08 pm

Thanks for the endorsement Michael..

Actually Ted phoned me this morning, and he is better prepared for his move than some of the people who move every few years.

He's in Portland today, and I advised him to contact the Portland office, and discuss some possible access problems at an extra stop in Oceanside, Oregon. I was happy to help.

Lee

Ted

Big Move: Chapter 2

Postby Ted » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:06 pm

Thanks to Michael, Tim, and Lee of Chipman, starting to make progress. Took Michael's advice to investigate Security in DC. Appears to be a very impressive company. Founded in 1890, moved the Clintons out of the WH, state of the art facility at Dulles Apt., etc. Drew came out to do the survey. In contrast to Whalen/Allied, he assured me no shuttle needed. Also, negotiated 65% off 400N vs. Whalen's 60%. Estimate is now 29,000 lbs. (a full 53-foot trailer). Drew promised dates certain for pick up and delivery. Delivery will be tricky, as we are unloading 90% in Portland and 10% at our cottage 75 miles west of Portland on the Oregon coast. Question now is whether shuttles will be needed at one or two Oregon stops. Allied agent in Portland said shuttle required at Portland house, which is nonsense. Portland house is on conventional suburban street that is straight as an arrow from a highway. Thanks to Lee of Chipman, I am in contact with Gary, manager of Chipman's Portland office. I picked Chipman as the DA (destination agent) based on this site's reviews. They have ONE satisfactorily resolved BBB dispute in the last 3 years in Portland. Amazing. They will send someone out to do a site survey at Portland house to be sure shuttle not needed. Shuttle may be needed at coast stop and may be some time before Chipman will have someone in that area to check it out.

Now trying to figure out what to do about insurance. Can anyone tell me how to contact Baker? There are hundreds of "Baker Insurance" companies out there. NEXT: Chapter 3: Answers to the shuttle questions in Oregon and settling on insurance strategy.

Guest/Michael

Postby Guest/Michael » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:49 pm

Well shoot Ted, you said 24,000 pounds not 29,000. I should have offerred my services :wink: :wink:

Security is a class act. Sounds like your getting a better deal all around.

Why arent you looking at the valuation from Security?

I dont know mych about Bakers or how it works, but maybe some of the guys and ladies here that bought it when they were scammed from the internet can tell you how it works or who to call. Most scammers dont offer valuation either and recommend people to Bakers.

Keep us posted. And tell Security to send me a finders fee, lol. :)

Michael

Ted

Postby Ted » Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:04 pm

Michael--

Am I wrong in assuming that getting independent insurance is better than going with valuation? I have the impression that I am much more likely to get a claim approved with minimum hassle if I get insurance vs. claims filed with the mover based on valuation coverage. I am completely open-minded about this and personally have no bias. I just want the coverage that is most likely to pay out on a claim without hassle and conflict. Your views, or anyone's, on this would be appreciated.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:26 pm

Hi Ted,

I think this is what you're looking for as far as your questions re: Baker Insurance

http://www.bakerintl.com

Lee

Return to “Open Community”